Multifunction switch- or- Flaher unit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multifunction switch- or- Flaher unit?

victoryship

Reaction score
City, State
shelbyville indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000xlt
I have searched, and compared answers to my problem. I am confused, and dont quite understand the answers.
A 2002 sport trac. with rear turn signal problems. Well actually none of the bulbs, except the tail light running lamp bulb work. Only on the LEFT REAR. All other bulbs, on other sides work properly. On the left rear the 4 way flasher, brake, and turn signal bulb functions do not work.
Fuses good, bulbs new, contacts clean and tight.Etc. I think this problem is the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH. Or, maybe the FLASHER UNIT. But, i cant see how the flasher would work on the right and not the left side of the vehicle. Does anyone agree, that the multifunction switch is shot? sorry for longwind, im not good at concise short, explanations. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Multifunction swith- or- Flashe Unit

Hey Victoryship,
I have the exact same problem. Checked everything that you did, and am stumped to. Ill keep looking for answer. Good Luck.:)

Maxrich, My problem was the multifunction switch. these are said to be real notorious trouble maker on the fords. Most times the grease that ford puts in there, drys out a bit, and just gums up the works. you could try taking it apart and clean the old grease off. I just replaced mine, cause i didnt want to fool with it any longer. They run around $75.00. Auto zone can get you one, if you want. Real quick and simple to replace. You can do it! good luck.

Maxrich, My problem was the multifunction switch. these are said to be real notorious trouble maker on the fords. Most times the grease that ford puts in there, drys out a bit, and just gums up the works. you could try taking it apart and clean the old grease off. I just replaced mine, cause i didnt want to fool with it any longer. They run around $75.00. Auto zone can get you one, if you want. Real quick and simple to replace. You can do it! good luck.
Good to know victoryship. Thanks for the info.

One of these days I will get to troubleshooting my door lock problem.

Thanks alot victoryship, I really appreciate it.

RE: MultiFunction Switch

It is the MultiFunction Switch. I have had to replace it five times since I've owned it. My symptoms are exactly what you have been having. It's like clock work, sametime every year, this happens. I've been trying to see if there was a recall or more information to remedy this for good. Good luck.

I have searched, and compared answers to my problem. I am confused, and dont quite understand the answers.
A 2002 sport trac. with rear turn signal problems. Well actually none of the bulbs, except the tail light running lamp bulb work. Only on the LEFT REAR. All other bulbs, on other sides work properly. On the left rear the 4 way flasher, brake, and turn signal bulb functions do not work.
Fuses good, bulbs new, contacts clean and tight.Etc. I think this problem is the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH. Or, maybe the FLASHER UNIT. But, i cant see how the flasher would work on the right and not the left side of the vehicle. Does anyone agree, that the multifunction switch is shot? sorry for longwind, im not good at concise short, explanations. Thanks guys.

My brother-in-law's 2001 has had this problem for several months and I finally took a look at it this weekend. His left blinker and tail light didn't work and when he tilted the steering colum down the right blinker and tail light didn't work. I removed the plastic from the colum where the blinker lever and shift lever(bottom then top). I found broken wires at the connector that connects to the multifunction switch(blinker). This was caused by poor installation by Ford. There is not enough slack in the wires and the will break over time if you use the tilt function regularly. One wire broke with enough left to splice it. The other broke at the connector and when it tried to remove the connector from the multifuncrion switch the whole connector fell apart and all the wires came out. What a disaster. We are going to try to get Ford to repair it because it is clearly caused by poor design or assembly but if they won't we will probably hace to replace the wiring harness. I will guarantee that there are many 2001 Sport Trac's with this same problem.

To answer the question, the grounds for the flasher come up through the turn signal lamps (4) on each side. The MFS selects the left or right set. The hazard flasher set switch selects all (8). If a bulb burns out the flasher will not work for that side (turn signal), but will work still work for the remaining lamps if the hazard switch is on.

The most common failures are a burned out bulb, followed by the MFS. I read somewhaere that the MFS switches are more prone to problems if higher amperage bulbs are used in the headlights or other lamp circuits.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed that the lamp info applies to the 1991 to 1999s (Haynes). I suspect it is applicable to the post 2000s but don't have the repair guide and I don't see the post 2000 schematics on Autozone.

mutifunction switch

Hey people, just saw your post on multi function switch. I had same problem with right rear tailight only. Its the mfs. Try lifting your steering wheel all the way in the up position. What happens is the wires are bound so tight at the factory that when you move the tilt wheel it actually pulls the wires out of the multi function switch. I just had mine in today for that and my overdrive light going out and trans slipping in 2nd to 3rd gear shift. By just raising my tilt wheel up(I like the wheel in the down position) the tail light functions normally because you relieve the strain on the switch. Worse case scenerio you have to replace the mf switch. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix my slip shift from 2nd to 3rd?

mulitfunction switch

Thanks for your help. I replaced the bulb and it didn't help. Read this post and adjusted tilt (wife's been diving the truck) and bingo! Saved me from buying a flasher or multifunction switch!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Back