My 2004 Explorer | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2004 Explorer

I don't know if two 3 inch pipes would fit under the control arms, maybe someone here already did it?
If so they would probably have to ditch the spare tire?
Mine is single exhaust, 3 inch should be good for about 300 crank HP.
V8 guys making more power would definitely want dual exhaust, 2.5 inch should be good up to 450 crank HP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

didnt want to go with the ball socket connection? i would think a gasket connection would blow out faster.

Im gonna say this is a huge success.
My exhaust has the pipe slipped over the original first piece of pipe at the manifold also.
I have a feeling it would be expensive to go right from the manifolds, and what your shop did must be very common.

I know the Factory max back pressure it 8lbs, but there is no spec for the kind of air your motor moves now. lol

Quiet, much lower back pressure=happy guy

I would love to have the mufflers on my 1998 supercharged truck fitted with V band clamps, and then get different mufflers to swap in and out to experiment with what sounds best and what makes the most power.
But you know there is not enough of two things, money and time! lol.

didnt want to go with the ball socket connection? i would think a gasket connection would blow out faster.

Right you are about blowing out faster with the flat flange. They did not offer me an option, and I did not ask.
Besides, if it blows out the permanent fix is to use Ultra Copper RTV which is good up to 2,500 degrees F
I use that stuff on everything from exhaust manifolds to supercharger plates and it never leaks.

Right you are about blowing out faster with the flat flange. They did not offer me an option, and I did not ask.
Besides, if it blows out the permanent fix is to use Ultra Copper RTV which is good up to 2,500 degrees F
I use that stuff on everything from exhaust manifolds to supercharger plates and it never leaks.
Ultra Copper is good sht, I've used it for all of that, and a couple of touch ups on my fireplace cap, on the roof. It can take the heat.

I'm starting to search for headers for my Lincoln, and immediately I'll cut off the collectors and install V-band clamps. I've had two cars before with normal 3-bolt collectors. Those are horrible, not worth the trouble to ever use. They always drag on something at some point, and then they always leak.

Road test with windows closed.

Cool, quiet.

Guess what gasket blew out already?
lol
Yes you guessed it, the one at the 3 inch flange.
hahahaha

I am going to get that ultra copper RTV in there, it will fix it.

Funny, sorry.

Oops. at least nothing has rusted yet.

I agree with tim, either ball flange or v- band , i hate exhaust work with a passion thats why i did stainless with ball flanges

Tonight I did the Ultra copper.
Needless to say I am not happy.
What I saw was the flange was not straight, it looked warped or open in the center where the gasket blew out.
I tried to straighten it out as best I could, and then installed a new gasket with lots of ultra copper RTV.
It may have warped when welding, or just got bent when tightening.
This is strike 2, I will never go back to that place again. Strike 1 was that they never removed the first restriction like I said I wanted done.

If it blows out again I will have a reason to go have the first restriction removed(whole system at 3 inch) and a new type of connection installed where the flange is now.
Ball flange and v band seem better, who has used welded in vband?
Is a ball flange a welded on piece also?

I have a V-band on my turbo. So far, so good as far as rust goes under there.

I'll be adding another v-band just after my muffler when my truck goes back in to get the waste gate sorted out. The turbo guys all say the v-band clamp is far superior as far as flow goes. If you could make room, and weld to your existing manifolds, v-band would be the best at your manifolds also (As far as flow goes, but the pain in the a$$ factor comes in to play).

here is the socket side of my ball flanges, the ball side is on my cats thrn i did step band clamps where my tails meet the back of my muffler

0725122058a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i welded in a ball flange on the first exhaust when i did the 5L swap. i used parts from the donor. you however cant do that because its 3 inch. im sure if you called a few shops, they should be able to find them. the second question would be at what cost.

Back