• Register Today It's free!

My planned 4.0 OHV rebuild

coco944x4s

Reaction score
City, State
Staley, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 78 F150
Ok, first of all I know this has been covered, and i have searched until my head hurts from information I have read. I decided the best thing I could do to better understand what I want to know is just to post my plan for rebuilding a 4.0 OHV.

This is what I know that I will use:
Block: 91-94 block, prefer 94, thinking 0.020-0.040 overbore
Heads: 95TM, port/gasket matched, stainless valves if money allows
Cam: Comp Cams 410 cam, looking for more low end power as I tend not to race, but rather pull more since my Ex is for 4x4 and utility uses, not racing, also to keep stock length push rods and single springs
Exhaust: probably gonna keep my stock manifolds and y-pipe unless i can find a good deal on some headers, already have big pipe after the convertor into a flowmaster one chamber single in/dual out
Intake: port/gasket matched 91-94 upper and lower

I do not know however, if I should keep my factory injectors, replace with OEM, or replace with aftermarket higher rated injectors. Also, I'm going to stay with 94 style pistons to keep the boosted compression ratio with the 95 TM heads, but which manufacturer should I go with? Should I just stay with a 0.020 overbore, or go as high as I can find pistons for?

I am not new to rebuilding, I have a 2.9 at my parents on a stand with a 0.060 overbore and fully ported heads waiting on a camshaft manufacturer to tell me if they will grind me a cam or not. I just would like those who have rebuilt a 4.0 and have experience to weight in and give me some advice on what works and what doesn't. I know that I will catch crap for not doing a 422 cam, but I think the 410 will fit my needs and driving style better.

Let me know what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really...of all the people on here who have rebuilt a 4.0, not one will give a guy a few suggestions or offer any incite? This is the biggest reason why i stopped getting on all my online forums in the first place.

I can offer some help..

Stick with a .020 overbore,this way you'll get at least one more rebuild out of the block later one. Also,you won't get much noticeable gain in performance in boring the 4.0 over.

95tm heads are a good idea,just know that you'll need to run premium gas since they'll bump your compression ratio with the stock bottom end. Also be sure you get actual 95tm heads,not 98's. The combustion chamber looks the same but the 98s have a smaller exhaust port.

If you put a 410 or a 422 cam in you'll need new pushrods,both cams have a smaller base circle than stock. Plan on buying new rockers too,maybe lifters as well if yours tick like most.

Exhaust work can always be done after the engine build.

Injectors I'm not sure,I stuck with stock.

There's more than a couple guys here that have built these 4.0s,I'm sure they'll post as they find the thread.

Benjam :D

follow my build thread. except use the 95tm heads. i have every part number listed.

i was gonna say .030 over but benjam made a point on .020 over. use keith black pistions.

i strongly suggest the si valves and sealed power rockers. and with the 410 cam you will 100% need new pushrods. pushrods are found on pushrods.net.

95tm heads: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27aca4d2da

flow matched injectors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-6-1991-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4160a57f4b

lifters are your own choice. they are very expensive. so if you wanna clean them ill give you details on that. but there are no guarantees it will help all 12.

i suggest the higher flow oil pump i have in my build also. the 4.0 doesnt have enough oil flow, so this helps.

buying a reman, fully finished crankshaft with bearings on rockauto, returning old one for a core. costs about the same as taking yours in and having if redone. just easier to buy one.

do all the porting and polishing you want. just be careful if doing it yourself.

headers are like $230. pacesetter. brand new. get them, strip off all the paint and paint them with high temp ceramic paint and bake them. well worth it. i got $700 jbas on a deal and paid $100 for a new y-pipe alone. if they werent so difficult to remove due to space id have gotten rid of them for pacesetters for $100 more then the y-pipe.

and i didnt see this sooner due to the placement, i dont tend to go here. i look at mod 91-94 and need for speed more then here.

fyi- i spent around $3600, and i didnt have ANY block work done or get new pistions. or any posting/polishing(i include all fluids, gaskets, bolts and paint in my price tho)

^^what he said and yea im going to give you sh** for not using a 422 cam,difference is about 500 rpms and no one will or can tell the difference of when the power kicks in just that a 422 kicks way harder(20-25hp more same price).stock injectors are fine and just to be safe go with 5.550 pushrods unless you have a way of measuring them.agree no need to bore alot .020-.030 is fine.get new lifters dont even risk it

i agree with the 422. you just have to replace the new single springs with dual springs and have a shop cut the head some to fit them.
the only thing is i hear the 422 wont pass emissions? im pretty sure the 410 will. we dont have that here so i dunno.

you can get the pushrod measuring tool from smith bros at pushrods.net also. not sure how much it costs, i borrowed jds at the time

Really...of all the people on here who have rebuilt a 4.0, not one will give a guy a few suggestions or offer any incite? This is the biggest reason why i stopped getting on all my online forums in the first place.

I agree w/ Xeek, most folks look in the 91-94 section (stock or modified) stuff tends to get answered a lot faster there.

As far as engine guys go, JD knows his stuff he's rebuilt his a few times. Like you I was going to with a 410 cam, JD talked me out of it.

I don't have a built motor YET, I really want to pick up a junk one to rebuild, then when mine goes (if it ever does) swap it in then. I simply picked JD's brain for ideas. Pretty much the general consensus is true 95tm heads, 422 cam, high flow oil pump, new lifters, etc.

The way I figure it if you build it like everyone suggested you'd have close to the power output of a stock SOHC (if my numbers work out right) and that was 210hp. Either way if the numbers aren't exact anythings a far cry better than the stock 155hp in there currently.

I don't think you'll hit 200hp. I'm pretty sure he told me like 180. Now his supercharger on the other hand... way over 200.

Something else to mention. Electric fan. I'm quite happy with my spal conttroler and I suggest a mark viii or thunderbird fan. Will reduce drag on the pullies(crank) and free a small bit of power.

You can get an underdrive crank pully and an overdrive alternator&waterpump pully(restores those two back to stock speed after slowing the crank down). Frees up a few more horses.
Jd has a crank and alternator puly fr sale. You'd need an alternator one to finish

Yea your be around or close to 200hp but the tq is what these trucks perform off from and that whats what you really gain.the thing to remember is with a build like that you will gain the power this truck needs and run FOREVER!!the ohv is a beast.

Suggestions for upcoming rebuild

Hello I've been following this forum for a few years now
And wanting to do a lot of the things I've read about.
Finally I will be getting new heads to replace my cracked
Heads on my 2000 4.0 ohv, I am in between getting the 410
Cam or the 422. I was initially thinking 410 with new lifters,
Delta rockers and new pushrods 5.505 as per the guy from delta
I don't tow I'm simply looking for more power any
Suggestions on the 410 vs 422?

Hello I've been following this forum for a few years now
And wanting to do a lot of the things I've read about.
Finally I will be getting new heads to replace my cracked
Heads on my 2000 4.0 ohv, I am in between getting the 410
Cam or the 422. I was initially thinking 410 with new lifters,
Delta rockers and new pushrods 5.505 as per the guy from delta
I don't tow I'm simply looking for more power any
Suggestions on the 410 vs 422?

422 all day.don't deal with delta....

Since my original post a few things have occurred. First I found out that I am going to be a father (by by build money), second I recall having read that running SOHC pistons will raise the compression just like 95tm heads will. Assuming that I ever get around to building an engine for my Ex, I'm going to have it bored anyway since I will most likely use a core block. Seeings as how new pistons are a must once bored, and IF the SOHC pistons raise compression just like 95tm heads, this seems like a cheaper way of getting the same end result, and just reuse my old heads. Granted I am going to catch a lot of crap for going through the process of rebuilding one, and having a block bored and re using old heads, but I always watch my temp gauge so over heating shouldnt be a problem. Bottom line: Is this true about the SOHC pistons, does this seem like a more cost efficient way of raising the compression ratio?

JD: Down the line I would like to supercharge this thing when funds become available. If I leave my compression stock, is it going to be better for the longevity of this thing not stuffing more air into an even smaller hole if I boost compression?

Since my original post a few things have occurred. First I found out that I am going to be a father (by by build money), second I recall having read that running SOHC pistons will raise the compression just like 95tm heads will. Assuming that I ever get around to building an engine for my Ex, I'm going to have it bored anyway since I will most likely use a core block. Seeings as how new pistons are a must once bored, and IF the SOHC pistons raise compression just like 95tm heads, this seems like a cheaper way of getting the same end result, and just reuse my old heads. Granted I am going to catch a lot of crap for going through the process of rebuilding one, and having a block bored and re using old heads, but I always watch my temp gauge so over heating shouldnt be a problem. Bottom line: Is this true about the SOHC pistons, does this seem like a more cost efficient way of raising the compression ratio?

JD: Down the line I would like to supercharge this thing when funds become available. If I leave my compression stock, is it going to be better for the longevity of this thing not stuffing more air into an even smaller hole if I boost compression?

You would be crazy to keep you heads..they are super prone to crack.I never suggest running sohc piston.they turn your motor into a interface motor and also sohc piston with 93tm heads puts you around 11:1.not ideal for oump gas and definitely not for boost.

Don't pinch penny's when trying to build an engine..you will regret it..

Well with guidance from this forum and especially JD I have purchased everything for my upper rebuild, hopefully will be done by next weekend.
422 comp cam
Lifters from Odessa
Pushrods from smith bros
Sealed power rockers from advance auto (best price)
Pacesetter headers (gamble)
Engine quest cylinder heads from Odessa
988 dual valve springs which will be seated by the guys at Odessa before they ship the heads and at no cost!
Felpro head gasket kit and head bolts

Now in trying to decide if its necessary to use "better oil" like royal purple or amsoil or if I should just stick to a more economic synthetic

Well with guidance from this forum and especially JD I have purchased everything for my upper rebuild, hopefully will be done by next weekend.
422 comp cam
Lifters from Odessa
Pushrods from smith bros
Sealed power rockers from advance auto (best price)
Pacesetter headers (gamble)
Engine quest cylinder heads from Odessa
988 dual valve springs which will be seated by the guys at Odessa before they ship the heads and at no cost!
Felpro head gasket kit and head bolts

Now in trying to decide if its necessary to use "better oil" like royal purple or amsoil or if I should just stick to a more economic synthetic

Seems odd they would do it for free.machine work is required. Other than that all sounds good.I use castrol edge, but not for break in if the bottom end is new.

Yeah Keith from Odessa made the offer to seat the valves when I was on the fence with the eq heads, they also asked me for the specs on the 422 to make sure it's all done right. Pretty cool of them!

That's a deal having heads cut and built with purchase. Stock injectors are fine. Run conventional oil for first few thousand miles for break in. Beyond that a semi-synthetic or standard full synthetic is more than good enough.

Did you get a melling high flow oil pump?
What pistons/compression?
Will the pacesetters bolt to the y-pipe like the stock manifold?

I'm curious because your setup will close resemble mine. Is yours a street truck?

I ran out of money so no oil pump, bottom is stock, definitely a street truck it's my dd, I don't know about the compression, the eq heads are like 95tm but better flowing according to odessa

And I'm hoping the pacesetter will bolt up I'll post my findings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So youll be at 9.0-1 compression same as me. I assume you went with the eBay pacesetters-$180 shipped? They claim to bolt right up. I might get them when I do bottom end build. Being crunched for cash I ported my manifolds instead. Is yours automatic or 5 speed? and 2 or 4wd?

Btw most of us reside in the Need for Speed section. Its typically a more active area of the site.

Back