My recent Explorer experience. (kinda long) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My recent Explorer experience. (kinda long)

fordktpjoe

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, Kentucky
OK, so I decide it's time to dump the Crown Vic in favor of an Explorer. I have a 90 mile round trip to work, and last winter taught me that the CV just wasn't made for country back roads and ice/snow.

So I find one (Explorer) on autotrader.com at a small lot about 45 minutes away from my home. Dude is asking $1995, says it runs/drives GREAT! Says it's got 85k on the clock. (Yeah....Riiiiiiight) I figure I'll start out offering $1500, since Ima pay cash, right?

So we (Wife, kids and I) make the drive out there this past Saturday to have a look, and drive the thing. Wife is already creamy for it just beacause of the color. It's red....no, not red....RED! I call it "***** Red" Her, being the more Liberal, Polite one in the family calls it "lipstick red" Yeah...the kind of lipstick ****** wear!

Anyway.

We show up and dude is INSTANTLY at her door, opening it up like the doorman at the Hyatt Regency in New York City, figuring he's got an easy sale seeing her eyes light up after seeing it "in person" so to speak.

Well, We walk over to the truck, and he heads for the garage, and comes back with a portable battery charger/jump starter....RED FLAG!!!!!

He opens the door, turns the key, and it turns over REAL slow about 3, maybe 4 turns, then spins normally, and fires right on up.....OK...

The engine is running now....doesn't seem to be missing.....but something is wrong.... it's got a HELLA vibration in it! Best I can explain is this engine is "rocking" side to side in the engine bay...kinda like it's got a bad miss in it, but it's not coughing or sputtering or anything.....weirdest thing I've ever seen!

My offer just dropped to $1000, and is dropping as I stand there....

Dude proceeds to tell me, in a language that's not english, but I can't quite make out what country he's from, that "Oh, yes it has a vibration, but it'll smooth out once it warms up. I take him at his word. I am (in my head) tallying up repair costs.

I hop in, put my foot on the brake, it's good and solid, drop it into drive, it hits good and solid...back up to reverse, solid. punch the 4x4 button, hear the slight "clunk"...good. drop to neutral, punch the 4lo button, hear the slightly louder "clunk"...good. try the power windows... The drivers window wont do anything...at all no noise, no nothing.... New motor. Pass front works fine. Pass rear goes down, wont go up without help...New nylon buttons. Driers rear works fine.

P/L work, but drivers button doesn't go up or down.

At this point my offer is down to $900, and I figure he ain't gonna go for it anyway, but what the hell, we drove 45 minutes to get here.

He asks if we wanna drive, "Sure, why not?"

Guys, I ain't sure I can describe how this thing drove, but I will try.

I didn't drive it...it drove ME! It was all over the road, didn't want to stay in it's own lane, any little crack, bump, wrinkle, or thick piece of paint on the centerline would throw this thing damn near out of control.

It was (as best as I can describe) somewhere between driving a 1948 F-3, and trying to hold on to a greased pig at the county fair! I am quite sure there are still finger sized holes in the dash pad from the wifes death grip!

That thing had SERIOUS front end issues.

At this point, my offer is down to "You pay ME $1995, and I'll take it off yer hands!"

We get back, get out of the truck on noticeably wobbly legs (didn't drive it long enough to warm it up, so I don't know if the vibration ever smoothed out!) and dude is right there..."How did ya like it?"

I just looked at him for a second, thought about making him my final offer, decided against it, told him I wasn't interested, we all piled back in the Vic, and drove off, leaving him stand there staring after us, with what can only be describe as a look of utter disgust on his face!

Anyway, the search continues....

I apologize for this being so long, and being kinda new here, lurker for quite a while, very new poster, I wasn't sure where this would go, so if it's in the wrong place, would a mod please move it?

Thanks, Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, sounds like that Explorer has some "issues" to say the least.

Best of luck with your search. I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice one. At least you know what you're looking for in the way of problems.

Welcome to the site:chug:

Ouch sounds rough. yea there are alot of good explorers out there but alot of times it depends on the owner (as with almost any car)....sounds sketchy to put it lightly. im sure ull find a good one soon tho most x owners i have found do take good carwe of them.

You should be an author! That was a really detailed post/story. :)
Sounds like a neglected ex though, good call on passing it up! :thumbsup:
Didn't want to end up like that -> :roll: on the side of the road.

Well guys, Actually the power windows were a non issue, since I have about the same issues on the CV anyway....except with different windows.

If the engine had run smooth, and the front end had been screwed up, I'd have bought it...at a greatly reduced price of course.

If the front end had been fine, and the engine had needed work, I'd have bought it...at a greatly reduced price, of course.

But both put together was more than I wanted to tackle. Having been a Ford mechanic for a number of years, and being able to do the work myself, would have saved a ton of money, but God only knows what I'd have spent in parts alone....

I could have easily paid $1000 for the truck, and then had to dump another couple grand in it, just to make it safe/reliable, BEFORE I got to start any mods!

hmm.. youre in kentucky, im in west virginia. youre looking for an explorer, im selling an explorer. hmm. lol

Whatcha got?

Gotta be four door, 94 or older, (sorry, it's a bodystyle preference) and can't have "terminal" cancer.

Oh yeah, nothing with 350,000 miles either! *LOL*

It sounds like the Explorer was severely neglected... :thumbdwn: The owner probably never did anything to it EVER!.. Hopefully it will eventually fall into the hands of a responsible owner that will restore it to its former glory!

What I'm REALLY afraid of, is some naive' soccer dad is gonna see the low price tag, miles, 4X4, and think,

"Wow, what a safe car for little Susie to drive to school! I'll just buy that for her since she gets such good grades!"

Three weeks later I'm going to be reading in the paper about an SUV full of 16 year old teenage girls burning to death after going out of control, crashing through a guardrail, smashing through some trees, and then rolling off a cliff into an old abandoned rock quarry that everyone had forgotten was EVEN THERE!

(sigh) Sux having a conscience, doesn't it. Almost makes me wanna go back and buy the S.O.B. just for that......

Nah! Screw 'em...they oughta know better! I just like to write!
I shoulda done that. Instead I got stuck building Super Duties.....

Joe

i had an x full of 16 year old girls but unfortunately it was my sister and her friends and being that im 20 and married it doesnt help me much :p:

Im in high school, drive an 92 x, and have a car full of girls :thumbsup:

lol is ur car full of girls a malibu barbie convertable?!?!

Car fulla girls, car fulla girls, yadda yadda yadda...... I was talking about one teenaged girl with a boatload of her mallrat buddies getting killed in a deathtrap! *LOL*:roll:

BUT!...having said that....back when I started driving, (just about the same time Moses invented dirt) it was inna '72 Chevy shortbed stepside. Couldn't get but three girls in it at once, besides me. And the most girls I EVER had in in at once was two...and one of them was my sister!

Back