need to borrow/ rent valve timing tools | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need to borrow/ rent valve timing tools

tomrj

Reaction score
City, State
pollock pines, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
hello, I just pulled the front cover on my girlfriends 97 explorer, and found that both the left side and the front crank to jackshaft timing chain guides were in lots of little pieces. It looks like it didn't have a left side guide assy or its totally disentergrated. I cant believe how well the eng ran, it started right up idle and ran well and didn't make any noise until it warmed up. Anyway I fell that I should pull the motor and replace the right rear casset and the front and left side guides and tensioners as well as cleaning the parts out of the oil pan. I WAS WONDERING IF ANY MEMBERS HAD THE CAM TIMING TOOL SET THAT THEY WOULD BE WILL TO LOAN OR RENT TO ME. I live in Pollock pines calif 95726 thomasjermstad@comcast.net 530 644-7959 thanks Tom ps should I use only Ford parts or buy one of the kits off ebay thanks again

Replacing Chain Guides

tomrj - I have a '97 Explorer, 4wd, EB with the 4L SOHC engine. I replaced the left side guide without the tool set, and it worked out great. The jackshaft to crank guide is a piece of cake, no special tools are required.
The left side guide replacement is more involved, but basically you need to ensure that the chain doesn't slip out of the sprockets at both the jackshaft and camshaft ends. Then you need to carefully mark the alignment of the camshaft sprocket to the camshaft so you can put it back in the same relative location after the guide is replaced.
You might want to also consider the upgrade that has the replacement parts for the intake manifold gaskets, and the hydraulic tensioner.
2000streetrod has some great posts on these subjects. I suggest that you check them out.
I purchased the replacement parts from Silver State Ford out of Las Vegas. John, the parts guy there, is very knowledgeable.
I agree that you should drop the oil pan and retrieve any parts that broke off. Also, remove the oil pickup assembly and make sure that there isn't any debris that got past the screen.

Good Luck,
Dick
(San Jose)

Back