New England Chapter | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New England Chapter

Trunkmonkey said:
so of course there's going to be a lot of crap flung around. :)

thats what you get when you deal with monkeys i guess! :D

So Sean, whats the story with your webspace? would it cost us anything? and what can you do for us DNS wise? cost?

Fred, I still think its better to cancel that one you made before its too late(or just cancel it after this month) and I don't think its a big deal using a free URL forwarding srevice for our domain name. Thats what I do with my site and it only adds an extra word to the domain name.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FourXFred said:
aaron, i simply dont understand why we need to have such a well organized club with more political members than the bush administration. i was thinking just a group of people who go wheeling, or meeting together, with stickers on their vehicles, and a simple website to keep everybody informed. the way i was thinking about setting it up was that it wouldent cost anything to be in this club, with the exception of the price of a sticker. since there wouldent be any yearly dues to be a member, there would be no need for a treasurer. since there is under 20 of us, there wouldent really need to be people to be in charge of certain areas or districts of the new england area. if we setup a crappy website on geocities (like i already have, check it out www.newenglandxplorers.com ) then we wouldent need a webmaster. i am willing to organize runs, run my website, and collect money and send out stickers. i will pay for the site, and whatever else may come up, up to a certain percentage.

i agree we would need organization like you suggested aaron, but only if we had a much larger group of people in the club. if what i am offering to do is not good enough for the 13 of us currently saying that we are in the club, then possibly this organization would run better with someone else at the helm.

what i am offering:

1-simple website
2-sticker distribution
3-run organization, with the help and input of everyone else in the club

if that isnt good enough, then i am withdrawing from the club. you guys can do it some other way with someone else. i will give the domain name to whomever wants it, if they will explain to me like the idiot that i am how to do such a manuver.

I did not get a comment from you on the cardomain thing I suggested on people makeing their own and have links to peoples pages.

Scormunch said:
Ahh I can't wait for the first NEX meeting :p

iZack and Matt get to show off their new mods :smoke:

I like my new front bumper and all. But the rear spoiler and the R have to go! LMAO

Fordexplorer157 said:
I did not get a comment from you on the cardomain thing I suggested on people makeing their own and have links to peoples pages.

sorry, yeah cardomain is fine and we'll just have links to those from our site or to where ever people have there stuff hosted. Pending the amount of web space we have we may be able to keep stuff up there for people who don't already have anywhere to host there files.

yeah, my apologies too. i missed that post.

since i only bought a 25 megabite website, im not sure if there would be roomo or not to have a writeup of the members rigs there. cardomain sounds like an excellent idea. as soon as i get out of work, ill fix up that crapbox website i already started.

nick, i already payed for the first month, unfortunately. i can cancel anytime, but i figure i might aswell just use what i already bought, and in september, if my website still totally sucks, then we will definitely have to switch over to yours. id rather have someone who knows about this stuff do it, rather than me. by the sounds of it, there are a lot better hosting companies out there than the one i hastily chose. ill set it up for the hell of it, see what happens, and i will discuss it with you either through PM's, or, much easier, through AIM. the website is currently running, which means that geocities has already processed my request and i own the domain name.

Nick26 said:
thats what you get when you deal with monkeys i guess! :D

So Sean, whats the story with your webspace? would it cost us anything? and what can you do for us DNS wise? cost?

I can provide server space and run DNS for you for free in exchange for a non-intrusive link back to me somewhere on the site. The Mambo content management software will automatically set up the Web site for you; you guys just need to add content. There are functions like integrated calendar, so that will allow you to plan events.

For an example of the content management software in action, go to www.hamorhollow.com (my wife's business) and check it out. All the menu items and everything are automatically taken care of by the software...you just need to add text and images.

Why am I offering this for free? I'm a geeky nice guy. :) Edit: I also provide free hosting and DNS for the New England Subaru Impreza Club.

Regarding the domain, all Fred needs to do is update his domain entry to use my DNS servers and I'll take care of the rest.

If someone else wants to host the site, no worries. I'm not here to step on any toes. Besides, I'm a n00b, why should you trust me? :D Also, if one of you guys wants to design the site, the Mambo software can use custom templates. You only have to design a single page, and Mambo applies that design to the entire site.

Also, regarding the content management software, multiple people can be assigned editor status. So, you can have one guy whose job it is to update the calendar. One guy is a news writer. One guy takes care of the core "About the Club" pages on the site. One guy takes care of the gallery (if you want one). Etc.

The software is template driven so you only need to design a single page (or choose an existing template). If you want to update the whole site, just make a single change in the template and the entire site gets updated in one shot.

Another example of the software in action is my employer: www.pepper.com

I also provide free hosting for the New England Subaru Impreza Club (although no one has updated the site since March): www.clutchdrop.com

If at all Possible, or if we plan on doing this down the road. I would like to be in Charge of T-Shirts. I have a T-shirt place 2 miles down the road from me. They do my fire depts T-Shirts and they are only 7.50 a pop after they design them! T-shirts would be really cool to have.

Fordexplorer157 said:
They do my fire depts T-Shirts and they are only 7.50 a pop after they design them! T-shirts would be really cool to have.

Score!

youve got the job matt.

oh, and i got the homepage of the site working. let me know what you think,either good or bad. and let me know either here, through a PM, or through AIM. my screen name is FourXFred

www.newenglandxplorers.com

FourXFred said:
youve got the job matt.

oh, and i got the homepage of the site working. let me know what you think,either good or bad. and let me know either here, through a PM, or through AIM. my screen name is FourXFred

www.newenglandxplorers.com

I think the site looks great. The background is killer! For the shirts I need to have somone get together a Design. I dont know if everyone remembers the old ECX Shirts. I was thinking somthing Similar but to only add a 3rd Generation X on the shirt, so we have 1st 2nd and 3rd. The black T-shirts with the greay look really good. Thats what my ECX shirt was. If I remeber I will post pics of my ECX shirt or if anyone else has one they can do it also. So once we get all that solved I will go down to the shirt place and get a quote.

I think it should be kept as simple as possible. Matt, that is an awesome idea about t-shirts. Keep it up guys! :chug:

Scott...I totally understand your circumstances, but you still have to get your butt up here sometime!!! :D

So far this whole hootenanny is looking pretty good. Not to throw fuel into the political "fire" but it may not be a bad idea to just have someone looking over legal aspects of where we go or would like to go. More than one of us have been caught Trespassing with a Motor Vehicle... *cough*

Maybe Tim's photo of our recent mods (funny...I guess the camera just didn't catch Tim's airdam) can go on a T-shirt. :D I'm particularly proud of how my antenna and spoiler complement each other. Maybe I DO need a confederate flag hangin from that thing...

izackary said:
Scott...I totally understand your circumstances, but you still have to get your butt up here sometime!!! :D

So far this whole hootenanny is looking pretty good. Not to throw fuel into the political "fire" but it may not be a bad idea to just have someone looking over legal aspects of where we go or would like to go. More than one of us have been caught Trespassing with a Motor Vehicle... *cough*

Maybe Tim's photo of our recent mods (funny...I guess the camera just didn't catch Tim's airdam) can go on a T-shirt. :D I'm particularly proud of how my antenna and spoiler complement each other. Maybe I DO need a confederate flag hangin from that thing...

Well if you want someone to look over legal aspects then I nominate you Issac. Since you know of alot of places to wheel. :thumbsup:

Surrre I do. :p I'll leave it up to President Fred to decide.

Do we?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iZack, you sound like you wanna be nominated lol...

Why not? :chug: I'll nominate you... but what can I get out of the deal? ;)

Back