New England Chapter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New England Chapter

FourXFred said:
well, we can have a florida style election to decide who will head this club up. i have family in dade county and they said that during the last presidential elections the "chad" system worked well...

or, to take a quote from the movie starship troopers:

"ill do it untill i die, or they find someone better."

i can get stickers no problem, either through this guy i know, or through trunkmonkey's sponsor. ill check out both of them and see which one would be cheaper. as far as a website goes, i probally shouldent have offered to do it, because i know less than nothing about website setup and design and whatever else goes on. i could setup a stupid one with yahoo or whatever for a temporary thing, but we'll probally want something a little bit better for permanent usage.

as far as different states having different leaders and whatnot, i dont really care. it doesnt seem to me that this needs to be anywhere that complicated for the time being, since there is only like 15 of us. just a group of people, with someone to buy stickers and organize runs, and pay for a website, sounds good enough to me.

oh, and i also like NEX for a name.

Sounds good to me. You may want to check out this website. Its for free web space. Its sounds good. http://members.freewebs.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just setup a website over at geocities. the registered domain name is www.newenglandxplorers.com. itll be running soon, but im warning you guys, its gonna suck. however, it seems that geocities has to review it for a while, since i bought a real webpage and a real domain name. unitll then, i setup a free domain name website. this should only be needed for a few more hours. check it out! www.geocities.com/fourxfred/home.html

oh damn, i didn't know about this unitl just now... I like to think that im pretty good at creating websites, so ill volunteer to take over the website stuff from you fred. just tell me what to put up there and it'll be there asap... i can setup our own personal forum as well too. I can even host it all but I have a slow 30k/s max upload so the best place to host it would probably be on trunk monkey's server. not that 15 people will really even hit it that hard, and it will be easier to administrate if its local for me... so we'll see... and oh yeah i like NEX too

damnit, i wish i didnt already buy the domain name and setup a website. now i dont know what to do. ill setup the site i already bought for the hell of it, and maybe there will be some way of transferring the name over to trunkmonkeys server. i dont know, i completely dont understand

if you only did it just today, call up and cancel it... Then again what they probably made you pay for is just a domain name(the www.newenglandexplorers.com) that will point to the free site you created I assume(popup ads). If its only a domain name we can use that to point to a different server instead. On the other hand if they gave you webspace with the domain name too then we can upload the site we create to there. But thats a waste of money in my opinion because I don't think we will need that much bandwidth, and if discover we really do need more than basic cable modem upload bandwidth (30k/s) than we can probably store it on trunkmonkeys server for no charge from what it sounded like. PM me how much it was and what the package was and I'll figure something out.

geocities charges 8.50 a month for a 25 megabite website. you get 5 email accounts, and 10GB of transfer a month. uhh.... so umm.... yeah

i use 1&1 for my site....upstanding company, never any downtime :thumbsup:

$4.99/month
Includes 1 domain at no additional cost
500 MB web space
50 POP3 accounts
25 GB monthly transfer volume
1 Virus Scanner included
1&1 Chat
10 subdomains
Linux based

$9.99/month
Includes 3 domains at no additional cost
1000 MB web space
150 POP3 accounts
50 GB monthly transfer volume
3 Virus Scanners included
1&1 Chat
50 subdomains
1 MySQL database
Free CGIs
Linux based

$19.99/month
Includes 5 domains at no additional cost
2000 MB web space
300 POP3 accounts
100 GB monthly transfer volume
6 Virus Scanners included
1&1 Chat
200 subdomains
3 MySQL databases
Free CGIs
Dedicated SSL certificate (QuickSSL Premium)
SSH Secure Shell
Linux based

no offense, but screw geocities :fart:

edit: a link would help

www.1and1.com

just to let you know NEX=Navy Exchange.

rfuree11 said:
No offense, but screw geocities :fart:

Up until April, my website was on Delphi Forums. When they started being down more than up, I decided to cancel my Plus account there.....after all I didn't visit any forums there anymore since the ones I visit have moved to different forum servers, and paying $40 a year for a site that was down more than up....I got fed up.......so I moved my website back to Geocities......only until I can find somewhere dependable to put it. I might look into where you have your site, Mike

I'm using www.lunarpages.com for my www.swanrivercustoms.com and have been VERY happy with them.... since this thread is now about webhosting :rolleyes:

For the club to be successful, we need to not only help everyone out with their trucks, plan events, and stay in touch, but we also have to be organized, and give certain people tasks, so they can specialize. I.E: president, treasurer (if we have money-based whatever) webmaster, pr, merchandise, trail liason, etc...

I think its AWESOME that Fred registered a domain for us, but perhaps it was a little hasty. Lets talk about stuff, before it happens.

OK guys....enough server jargin....waddya say we make the "inaugural" run up in VT our inaugural NEX run? :) :thumbsup:

I think for everyone spicture gallerys on the website we should just have links to our own Cardomain pages! This makes it so if you wanna change some pictures of your X you can without talking to the webmaster. This will also save room on the website.

While crawling the web I found this very cool Vinyl Sticker site. The reason it is cool is they have an online design engine which allows you to design the lettering on the fly and overlay/place it anywhere on your actual vehicle..

Vinyl Design

On the fly font viewing tip:
  • Put text in edit mode
  • click on the font selection box to highlight it.
  • scroll up/down with mouse wheel to see changes

Ahh I can't wait for the first NEX meeting :p

iZack and Matt get to show off their new mods :smoke:

Attachments

• Ex 048dfghdfg.jpg
    Ex 048dfghdfg.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 144

yea can our first meet be a non off road type thing so us street guys can come. BTW
<----- fastest X in ECX :burnout: :D

aaron, i simply dont understand why we need to have such a well organized club with more political members than the bush administration. i was thinking just a group of people who go wheeling, or meeting together, with stickers on their vehicles, and a simple website to keep everybody informed. the way i was thinking about setting it up was that it wouldent cost anything to be in this club, with the exception of the price of a sticker. since there wouldent be any yearly dues to be a member, there would be no need for a treasurer. since there is under 20 of us, there wouldent really need to be people to be in charge of certain areas or districts of the new england area. if we setup a crappy website on geocities (like i already have, check it out www.newenglandxplorers.com ) then we wouldent need a webmaster. i am willing to organize runs, run my website, and collect money and send out stickers. i will pay for the site, and whatever else may come up, up to a certain percentage.

i agree we would need organization like you suggested aaron, but only if we had a much larger group of people in the club. if what i am offering to do is not good enough for the 13 of us currently saying that we are in the club, then possibly this organization would run better with someone else at the helm.

what i am offering:

1-simple website
2-sticker distribution
3-run organization, with the help and input of everyone else in the club

if that isnt good enough, then i am withdrawing from the club. you guys can do it some other way with someone else. i will give the domain name to whomever wants it, if they will explain to me like the idiot that i am how to do such a manuver.

im with fred on that one... we all have lives outside of our trucks so this doesn't need to be a ridiculous responsibilty otherwise it will fail. so lets just keep it simple...

Fred...

The last thing I want is for you to not be apart of this - without you, I don't think we would have had half of the activities we've been on.

As for my thoughts about the "organization" of a club, it was just musings considering how other clubs are set up, it's one way to go. You're idea of 15 people who are local eXplorer enthusiats getting together is just as good - And simpler! :)

A really appreciate the TIME and ENERGY you're willing to put in here. Much thanks.

Oh... and t-shirts would be kickass too!

FourXFred said:
aaron, i simply dont understand why we need to have such a well organized club with more political members than the bush administration.

Precisely! I'm a core member of the New England Subaru Impreza Club (NESIC) and that's the exact problem we're going through right now. The club founder and president was Kris Marciniak, one of the drivers for Trunkmonkey Racing, and he stepped down from the club about two years ago due to all the political BS that was forming in the club.

For 20 or 30 guys with Explorers who just want to have fun, we don't need a political organization or body. We don't need a treasurer. We just need a guy that people respect and will listen to. When that guy says, "we're having a meet", we have a meet. Simple as that. :D

NESIC hasn't had any official member-organized meets for quite a while because people are too busy fighting over who gets to run what and, whenever someone steps up to the plate to volunteer to do something, somebody else protests because they don't like the person who volunteered. Then again, NESIC has a few thousand members and is the largest and most active chapter of the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, so of course there's going to be a lot of crap flung around. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm 100% in Favor of Fred running a site in any manor he wants too. Lets face it, he's the reason most of us have gotten our Trucks dirty in the first place. IMO the simpler the better; while its nice to think in "Grand Scheme" terms, the reality is the site would mostly be for a core group of regulars... I don't think we need an IPO at this time. ;)

Back