No lift 31x10.50x15 on 15x8 rim 2gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No lift 31x10.50x15 on 15x8 rim 2gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any pics of this setup? on a 2nd gen?
Is there any rubbing at all? How does it affect the spedometer?
do i lose speed or gain it from bigger tires? does the engine have to work harder to get goin or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got 31x10.50x15 on a 15x7 stock wheel. I Have the 2"tt and shackle though. I put on the tires and they rubbed a bit. I had to take off the front mudflaps and now it is slightly minimal rub at full stuff and all. I have a 97 sport 2 door. I think mine sat a little low to begin with. I would say doing it stock it may rub a little (it would have on mine) so don't be afraid to spend either 15 bucks for the cheap shackles or 65 for the warrior ones and give it 2" of lift.
It changes the look totally of your vehicle. Search around here on the forum and see what you come across!
Good luck!

a lift seems quite expensive, im trying to figure what's the largest size tire i can get without doing a lift (no rubbing, no mods to get rid of it)

A TT is free and shackles are cheap. 40-70 bucks isn't alot.

The affect on the speedometer will be minimal, but whatever speed it shows, you will be going slightly faster than that. Also, as your speed increases, the difference in the two speeds will get bigger.

are lifts unstable at high speeds?

pretty much any explorer+ high speeds= not good bed-fellows!

lol, but with a lift, does it increase the chance of something happening?

I'm not having too good of a luck finding something about these shackles, just people talking about their outragious lifts (nothin wrong with em of course, just not what i want:) )

Also, the odometer will progressively read an inaccurate distance as you drive more and more.

My 97 has 31x10.50's on stock wheels, no lift. No rubbing except occasionally on the plastic mudflap (front) when the tire is stuffed (been meaning to take those off anyway).
15x8 wheels will push the tire outward, making it more likely to rub on the bumper or backside of the fender, as the tire moves forward and aft more when you turn the wheel to full lock.

yea, im not finding anything on TT's (what is it anyways?) and shackles.. all the results are all... blah... Help..

I find that very very very hard to believe. All of this has been covered zillions of times on this forum. Have you tried the search feature?

here's the best thing to do. See the search button on almost the top of the page.. click on it and search for TT or Torsion Twist and you will get alot of good info. Shackle and TT lift is only like 2" and that is not an insane lift just enough if you ask. I actually love the ride of my ex after the Shackle TT because it made the ex ride way more stable! My preference... do some searching.. there is a ton of info on here about this stuff! try to find pics of other ex's to so you can get an idea of what your's could look like!
good luck

Those guys beat me to it! Good job moderator!

pretty much any explorer+ high speeds= not good bed-fellows!

Not true, I drive my 94 like its a sports car all the time and have absolutley no problems. As long as you learn how to drive a lifted truck you'll learn they are not that unstable.

lol, but with a lift, does it increase the chance of something happening?

I'm not having too good of a luck finding something about these shackles, just people talking about their outragious lifts (nothin wrong with em of course, just not what i want:) )

A 2" lift is not that much. The shackles that most people use are Warrior Shackles part War-153

sorry, i got confused a bit when i was doing my search, why is it called TT, and now TB... for torsion bar?

The link Froader posted should have covered it all...but a TB is a torsion bar, TT is the process of cranking the bolt on the end of the torsion bar to lift or lower the front suspension. It is commonly known as a Torsion Twist.

so id have to get shackles for the back, do the torsion bar thing, and get an alignment.. and then id have like a 1.5-2.0'' lift?

does doing the tt thing cause premature wear on the cv joint?

Yup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup what? wear to the cv joint or, all that and id get that lift? or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back