not going into gear after quick stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not going into gear after quick stop

treestar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
Driving a 2003 4.6 liter explorer 170K miles and had complete trans rebuild at local transmission shop a few months ago. Starting and since then whenever I decelerate quickly to a stop the trans does not go into gear. I brought it back to the repair shop and they want to blame this problem on a possible problem with the differential (only because its loud) rather than with the trans. The differential has been loud at speeds over 40 MPH for the past 3 or 4 years, but other than that I've had no performance problems with it. And the problem with not going into gear began with the trans overhaul. My question is do they have a real basis for trying to blame the problem on the loud differential or does it look like they are they just trying to avoid their obligation under the trans warranty?

Let me see if I've got this right.

You come to a quick stop, and then try to accelerate, but the vehicle will not move forward?

If that's the case there is no way the problem is with the differential.

That's it exactly. The trans shop is putting forth this idea that everything has to be just perfect or the trans will sense it and not perform properly. So he's saying that because the differential makes noise, there's something wrong with its operation, the trans is sensing this problem and so isn't going into first gear after a quick stop. Sounds like a well rehearsed punting maneuver to me. I wondering what my next best step is in this situation.

Sounds like its low on fluid.

Back