Offroad tire sizing with TT and Shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad tire sizing with TT and Shackles?

I've got a 99 XLT 4dr 4wd and I plan on doing the TT and Shackles, I need to know what tire size to get that will be the best for the lift, stock wheels but also not cost me a million dollars. I was either going to go with BFG A/T's or Pro Comp AT's... probobly the BFG A/T though. I have stock BFG Long Trails on there right now, 235/75/15... what tire spec should I give to get pricing. I'd like to stay under $600.00 total installed. Oh yeah, I have a state inspection due in about a month so keep that in mind. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 32x11.5 BFG A/Ts were just over $600 installed if I remember correctly.

What is the mileage on your 95 just out of curiosity? I think my Explorer is going to be very nice with this set up, what do you get for gas mileage? How much would going a little smaller save me do you think? I also wonder how much will the TT and shackle mod, plus my new tires increase off road capability of my 99 4.0 SOHC 4wd 4Dr?

RickE46M3 said:
What is the mileage on your 95 just out of curiosity? I think my Explorer is going to be very nice with this set up, what do you get for gas mileage? How much would going a little smaller save me do you think? I also wonder how much will the TT and shackle mod, plus my new tires increase off road capability of my 99 4.0 SOHC 4wd 4Dr?

I get 12-13mpg, 14 if I'm lucky. You should get around 14 with this setup, but it depends on your gears. It will greatly improve your off road capability.

Holy crap! THAT SUCKS! is it the tire size that kills the mileage or the lift? Would I be able to save a couple MPGs with a tire a couple sizes down? a 31' or less?

A smaller tire size will help get better MPG to a point, but the wieght of the tire/rims, engine size, wind resistance and gearing all factor in.
I get 14 - 16 MPG with 33" TRXUS tires, steel 15x8 rims, the SOHC and 3.73 gears. The swampers are heavy though and I have my spare mounted on my roof. With my old 33" General Grabber M/Ts I got 16 - 18 MPG. With the 32" Bridgestones I used to get the same as my 33" Generals. I'm lifted about 5" over stock. I also don't have the stock front bumper to help with wind airodynamics(sp).
Other factors are engine performance, performance mods(shocks, swaybars etc.) and over all quality of the vehicle. Mine has over 100,000 and needs the 00M12 kit installed, a new IAC and new plugs and wires. Once I get that all done my MPG will probably go up 1 or 2...

My 97 4door has the TT/shackles/aal with 31inch revos and I still get overall milage of about 16-17mpg. I think the 31's are a perfect fit for that size lift. I bought them at Costco for about $500. Splashman is right though, maintenance has a lot to do with it. I recently went over 150,000 miles and replaced plugs/wires/iac/cleaned the MAF/fuel filter/fluids/..... Older trucks will do better when taken care of.

Should I go with 31x10.5x15 BFG A/T's, with the TT and shackles or should I go with the 32X11.5x15 BFG A/T's... The 31's are over $40 bucks cheaper all around and it should save me a a couple mpg? how much difference in offroad ability will there be by dropping a size to the 31's? Tire rack has the 32'11.5 for $126 per and the 31'X10.5 for $117 per.

$40 isn't a whole lot when you think about it. But, you could regear and bump your MPG up after the lift/tires. I would stick with the 32s - 31s might look ok though.

-Drew

Thats a personal choice. Keep in mind when you order from tire rack you have to factor in shipping costs (if there are any) as well as mounting/balancing from a local shop. That may negate the savings from ordering online. From my research, there is no better place to buy than Costco. Especially if you catch one of their buy 3 get one free deals they do every once and a while. Not sure if there is one nearby your location. Only catch is that you have to take the rims in and have them put the tires on. They will not put larger tires on a explorer. I told them they were going to go on an old jeep that I was building. It was worth it to me, to save the money.

When ordering tires, remember to look at the specs for the tires. 31s are usually 29s or 30s and 32s are usually 31s or 30s...
Here is an example of the Pro Comp A/Ts...

Attachments

• AllTerrain.jpg
    AllTerrain.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 685

I have 31" Pro-Comp AT's, TT up front, and I had to trim a good bit off the rubbermaid stuff in the wheelwell, you can see where I trimmed in the first pic. Towards the back of the tire, where the step bar meets up with the fender flare. I had to cut some of that so I could turn without rubbing.
728601_24_full.jpg

728601_20_full.jpg

IMHO, 31's look perfect for a close to stock X, it should have came from the factory with these things. :D
Splashman is right about the tire sizes, my tires measured just over 30.2 inches tall, but believe me, they fill in the wheelwell nicely. I honestly don't know how people get 32's under there and still turn the wheel though :eek:

EDIT: forgot to mention I got these Pro-comps in a buy 3 get 1 free deal, plus got free shipping for buying on a weekend from 4wheelparts.com, plus free mounting and balancing on the rims (rims were 100 bucks a piece IIRC). Then after they were delivered took it to a local shop to have them mounted and my old tires disposed of, that cost 25 bucks total.
There are affordable deals out there, you just have to look. :D
I got new tires and rims for about 800 bucks.
Usually the procomps have their buy 3 get 1 free sale in March, then have another one in october.

Should I go with pro comp at's or BFG A/Ts? I will be going with 31x10.5x15... think that is the right size spec to give them... Oh yeah and I don't have the plastic over the wheel wells, just sheet metal, maybe I won't have the same issue because whatever fraction of measurement wont be there.

I really love my pro-comps, others do not feel the same way. But I am very, very happy with purchasing them. I just didn't really care for the BFG's, they look good, but aren't snow and ice rated, and I've read they wear easily. My pro-comps are supposedly garaunteed to last 50K, by the looks of them right now with about 10K, they will last that long at the very least.
It's really all in what you like, do you best to research the BFGs and pro-comps, maybe find a place that carries them, and ask for a test fitting, so you'll see what they look like on your rig. I don't think you'll find many places in maine that carry pro-comp, I couldn't find a single one in MD, lol. It's a leap of faith to order something over the internet without seeing it first hand, but I am glad I took the chance. :)

By the way, this is my 500th post! :)

32's with tt

2063841_19_full.jpg

Trimming...all i had to do is take my mud flaps off and trim the inner part of the molding

2063841_13_full.jpg

Next to my old 88 ranger

2063841_20_full.jpg

Is the torsion twist hard to do? I heard the shackles are going to be the hard part because you have to free up the bolts that have been sitting for 100k but I just got brand new leaf springs so they should be easy, I just wish I knew where or how to make sure my truck is evened and leveled out perfectly.

The TT is as simple as it gets, easier than changing your oil I would say.

Step 1
Take a measurement from the center of your front wheelwells to the ground(do both sides)

Step 2
jack up one side by placing the jack under the frame somewhere. Once the tire is an inch or more off the ground, place a jack stand under the frame incase the jack gives.

Step 3
Useing the largest ratchet you have and a 14mm(I think that is the size) socket, turn the Tortion bolt two or three complete turns.

Step 4
Lower the X back to the ground (I then back the X up a foot or two and then drive forward again to let things settle a little and the tire to recenter it's self) and take a measure ment on the side you just did.

Once you have gained 2 - 2 1/2" go do the other side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup torsion twist is pretty easy. I didn't use a jack, just crawled under and turned each one, I personally didn't see a jack as needed, but to each their own. A note to you Rick, don't be alarmed that one bolt will seem further up than the other, most if not all people experience this.

Also I forgot to mention earlier, I average 16 to 17 MPG now with my 31's, 3.73 rear.
But she needs a tune-up, I imagine (or should I say, hope!) thats at least 1 MPG short of what she is capable of. Stock I averaged like 20-21 MPG I think. Almost always I got well over 400 miles per tank when stock. Now I'm lucky to hit 350 per tank. :)

Back