• Register Today It's free!

oil change

RedneckRambo

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
hey guys im gonna change my oil in a few days. what brand of oil do you prefer most? i will NOT run penzoil in my engine either. thanks for your input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you asked, I prefer Castrol.

But it's hard to go wrong with oil these days if you stick with a name brand.

Apparently even Pennzoil has good stuff now, their Platinum full synthetic is getting rave reviews as the top synthetic, and at a great price. Mobil 1 continues to be good, as does the Castrol Edge line.

For regular oil, Castrol GTX and Mobil 5000 are excellent choices.

Motorcraft semi-synthetic is also really good stuff, and often costs less than regular oil, especially if you can find it in the correct viscosity in the 5-quart jugs.

Be sure to use a good filter too...not FRAM. Motorcraft FL-1A is a Purolator PureOne at a lower price.

hey guys im gonna change my oil in a few days. what brand of oil do you prefer most? i will NOT run penzoil in my engine either. thanks for your input

I run 5 quarts of Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30. Great Oil

But it's hard to go wrong with oil these days if you stick with a name brand.

Apparently even Pennzoil has good stuff now, their Platinum full synthetic is getting rave reviews as the top synthetic, and at a great price. Mobil 1 continues to be good, as does the Castrol Edge line.

For regular oil, Castrol GTX and Mobil 5000 are excellent choices.

Motorcraft semi-synthetic is also really good stuff, and often costs less than regular oil, especially if you can find it in the correct viscosity in the 5-quart jugs.

Be sure to use a good filter too...not FRAM. Motorcraft FL-1A is a Purolator PureOne at a lower price.
^x2 on castrol and the filter

x3 on all of the above

i've always run castrol in my rides. helped a friend rebuild his dodge dakota that had penzoil in it for 200k, and was changed religiously every 3k. there was so much sludge and gunk in that engine, we had to degrease it just to find all the head bolts... as for fram filters, i lost an engine in a buick due to a fram filter collapsing. i always run a purolator pureone filter. has the grip on it like a fram, 99.9% efficiency, and only runs about $6, where as a comparable k&n runs about $15 :exp:

Penzoil..Great stuff and my engine has not blown up yet.

Oil is oil now a days, as long as it is done right and on time you can pretty much put whatever you want. The standards for oil is getting strict and really the only difference is synthetic and conventional. Pennzoil had a bad name in the 90s but since then they have made a strong comeback since being purchased by Shell. More expensive oil doesn't always mean better oil just means more money in someone elses pocket other than yours.

These days.... it is all basically the same stuff. Oil is oil, unless you are getting a true synthetic, there won't be much difference between oils.

I also like Castrol or Petro-Canada oil. And I have never had any bad luck with FRAM filtres. I've used them on all of my vehicles and never had a problem with them. My bro's Duramax I put a FRAM on it, my Cobalt has a FRAM, and the Explorer has a FRAM on it right now. But everyone has a brand they like and a brand they don't.

^fram is a POS search it!!

Agreed with all of the above, including the Fram thing. Not a knock, just look around a bit, they're definitely a sub-par filter.

Mobil 1 (for high mileage vehicles).....cured all my 4.0 marbles.....

Agreed with all of the above, including the Fram thing. Not a knock, just look around a bit, they're definitely a sub-par filter.

Low quality construction, cheap filter media, and weak valves.

Exactly. :)

When I picked up my new Ex, the PO had included a Fram filter in the box-o-stuff. I had some bolts to save, and had nowhere to put them. So, I did what any self-respecting owner would- I opened the filter box, chucked the Fram filter, put the bolts in the Fram box, and went on my merry way. :)

Motorcraft oil and filter.

Can't go wrong with the motorcraft oil and filter..... Think about it if you took your ride into the ford dealer that's what they'd put in.

AZ sells a 5qt container of motorcraft oil for less than $20 the motorcraft FL-1A is in the normal $$$ range for filters, I think about $4-5.

I used this setup in my old ranger that had 236k on a 2.3 and got an extra 1-2 mpg. This prob sounds strange to most but I drove it very easy and logged the fuel economy. Conventional oil got me 19 in town Motorcraft semi-syn got 21 in town.

I'm not preaching here about motorcraft stuff, just sharing my expirience.

This prob sounds strange to most but I drove it very easy and logged the fuel economy. Conventional oil got me 19 in town Motorcraft semi-syn got 21 in town.

I'm the same way. I keep track of my tank to tank mileage, fill amount, cost, octane, and location of purchase. Its nice to be able to track the mileage and have a realistic view of how my vehicles perform. I can average over the time I have had the vehicle as well as tank to tank.

My dad does the same thing and I only learned from him.

i been useing kendell oil. i take mine in for an oil change. cant do it at my apartments anymore. they use master pro oil filter im guessing thats from kragens. if i do the changes myself its castrol and the filter i use is the walmart brand super-tech or motorcraft if they have it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dad does the same thing and I only learned from him.

Yep that's where I learned mine.... He (my dad) does his maintenance tracking (gas oil plugs etc) on almost a spreadsheet you could go back several years with his.

Back