Passenger side airbag cutoff switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side airbag cutoff switch

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Does anyone know if there is a way to install an airbag cutoff switch for the passenger side on an Explorer? I know that a lot of trucks have this feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could probably some how tie into the wiring that goes to the weight sensor in the seat that cuts off the airbag with a switch.

Does a 2002 have the weight sensor. I would like the flexibility of letting a child too small for an airbag to sit up front.

Does a 2002 have the weight sensor. I would like the flexibility of letting a child too small for an airbag to sit up front.

Maybe not now that I think about it. If there is there should be some kind of indicator light that tells you whether it's on or off and changes when someone sits in it.

If it is anything like my '04 it will not have an weight sensor due to the fact that ford recommends that you place a child in the back seat. I had an '02 150 supercrew and that also did not have a weight sensor or a airbag shutoff for the same reason.

When I was a kid we did not even wear seat belts and thought nothing of riding in the bed of a truck. Now days you have to be so careful, and rightly so, but I do not think it would be all that dangerous for a kid to sit up front in an Explorer except for the potential for the airbag to go off.

Yeah it sucks but I also know that in most states if you have a backseat that it is law that the child has to sit back there until a certain age or weight. It really sucks but I guess it is for safety reasons. Now on to the real subject at hand, I know that my F-150 had a separate fuse for the driver and passenger side air bag and if that is the case then all you have to do is have a switch installed to interrupt the flow of the electricity to it so that it does not get the power it needs to deploy. I hope this helps you out a little better.

Since most trucks come with a regular cab option it is common for them to have an air bag cutoff. I wonder if my dealer would install one for me?

Yeah i dont know if they would or not but it is worth a try I am in the process of looking to see if there is anything out there aftermarket. I am deployed to Iraq so I dont have much else to do on my off time so this just gives me something to do. If I find anything i will defiantly let you know.

Since most trucks come with a regular cab option it is common for them to have an air bag cutoff. I wonder if my dealer would install one for me?

Not a chance. I asked a dealer one time if they would change the gears in my X from 3.55 to 3.73 and they said they won't change anything different from factory. Even though 3.73 gears is a normal factory thing on Xs.

They especially wouldn't mess with a safety feature like that.

Yeah i dont know if they would or not but it is worth a try I am in the process of looking to see if there is anything out there aftermarket. I am deployed to Iraq so I dont have much else to do on my off time so this just gives me something to do. If I find anything i will defiantly let you know.

Be safe over there. I hear it is getting better but I imagine it is still pretty scary.

Back