Poll--What kind of oil do you use? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poll--What kind of oil do you use?

What type of oil do you use?

• Synthetic

Votes: 103 47.2%
  • Conventional

Votes: 89 40.8%
  • Multi-Blend

Votes: 26 11.9%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Gimp

Now there's a man after my own heart.
Friends and family make fun of me a lot because I'm 'thrifty'. They are also quick to remind me of the time that I busted my head open and rather than let them take me to the emergency room to get it sewn up (as I had done on previous occasions where I'd busted my head), I get on the phone to call around to find out where I could get the best deal on getting x-rayed and sewn up. Now, that's cheap............I mean, 'thrifty'.;)

Wow thats what I do when I get oil! Last few quarts I had were Shell 5w-30 it was the cheapest I could find too! I am looking at switching the XLT over to Synthetic so I can go longer then the 5k between changes I do now. After reading Peters, and Geralds testing on oil I will try to go 15k or so depending on if it gets low or not. I just need to find out how to change it over. :)

I remember one of my old trucks never got the oil changed. It leaked out into the cylinders and burned off faster then I could add it sometimes. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amsoil 0W30. Change once a year or every 25K miles, whichever comes 1st. When I get my dual remote filter in, I may never change it. You just get it analyzed every 6K miles or so.

Originally posted by aldive

I am not comfortable with extending oil service life that long.

As important as clean oil is, and as cheap as oil is, thyen why not change more frequently?

I wasn;t comfortable with this either, but if you get your oil analyzed and find out that it in fact is safe, it's worth it. If everone used 25,000 mile oil....we woul;d not have oil shortages, we would have less dirty waste oil to deal with and the world would be a better place! :)
(well, ok maybe thats streaching it, but oh well)

Mobil 1 or the Amsoil stuff is your best bet

Mobil ! synthetic 5W30 here

SAE 40 Esso Multygrade (in the last change), before mobil multygrade.

I use regular Havoline 10W-30 in my 91' OHV. The early OHV's specified 10W-30. It's the only type and weight I've ever used in it. It easy to find just about anywhere.

just went to jiffy lube and got a penzoil pz1 filter and quaker state synthetic 4x4 10w-30.... i had mobile1 10w-40 in it but took it in as it was 8k since the last iol change and it was raining and i was lazy

Castrol full sythetic 5W-30 in my explorer and Mobil 1 syn 0W-30 in my daytona. but i'm going to try AMSOIL soon.

Castrol 10W30 every 3000 miles.

I use Mobil 1 10W30 with the Motorcraft FL-1A Filter.

Valvoline 5w-30 and fram toughguard filter, always

I use whatever is cheap at the time. I think I used Murray's 5W-30 and a Fram filter (the one with the grippy stuff on the end) the last time I changed my oil. I change it every 5000 miles as the dealer recommends. I don't usually keep my daily driver cars more than a couple of years, so I don't really care too much.

My Mustang, on the other hand, only gets Synthetic everything--oil, trans fluid, pwr steering fluid, etc.

For my '97, Valvoline 5W30 and Purolator filter (change myself)

For my '91 (used in business), 10W30 at the local Penzoil quick change shop.

Mobil 1 (10-30)

Its a close one, but it looks like synthetic by a nose!

Mobil 1 oil and filter

:chug: :chug:

I used to work as a quality control technician at a major hydraulics firm and had acess to over 1 million dollars worth of oil testing equipment.

I decided to test a number of automotive oil brands for personal enrichment. Upside to the tests, synthetic is VERY good! Downside, some domestic brands are almost as bad as no oil at all!

Tests included: particulate contamination (how clean the oil was - huge factor in longivity) - Viscosity (is it really 10w30 and how does it change with temps) - Recirculating ball test (run a ball bearing against a shaft at 3000 rpm with an oil drip - measure at intervals for shaft wear).

In particular, both Pennziol and Quaker State oils were virtually worthless. Both fouled my Royco particle tester and both failed miserably in the recirculating ball test. (They cut the shaft in half after only several hours of running!)

Best domestics were Valvoline and Havoline (non-synthetic). The Valvoline in particular was almost as good as a synthetic on the recirculating ball test and was easly the best domestic natural oil.

Synthetics tested included Mobil 1 and Amzoil. Amzoil was better than Mobil 1, but both were better than any other oil tested (not a complete test, some new oils have hit the market since of which I have no info). The Amzoil did not even leave a mark on the shaft, which indicated to me their break in instructions were correct - ie, run standard oil for around 10,000 miles before changing over to synthetics. Valvoline left a shiny spot on the shaft, but could not be measured after a week of running. Other domestics wore groves in the shaft after days of runnig.

In doing mechanic work for 20+ years on the side, I have also noticed that the motors using Pennziol are usually full of crud, and I recently had to replace the crankshaft on a Dodge Dakota with less than 80,000 miles. Two bearings were completely gone, Owner swore by Pennzoil. Took the block to a local machinest to bore it and he told us the type of oil used in the motor. He said he sees it all the time.

In another incident, I started running Amsoil in a Chevette with 22,000 miles. I followed their standard 25,000 mile change with a filter change at 12,000 (add 1 qt to fill to caoacity). After 220,000 miles of this the car only used the one quart of oil per 25,000 miles from the change. I sold the car and it is still running. I don't know the current mileage.

One further story... I ran an F150 with a built 390 and 38's and had difficulty moving it off the spot on some of those -20 degree mornings in Wisconsin. I swtiched all the diffs, trans, and transfer case to synthetic and was able to drive away normally no matter what the temps.

All of this is anecdotal evidence, but I know where my money goes! I use synthetics all the way!

Amsoil

Amsoil 5W-30 here. ¿Wasn't aware that there was any other substance worthy of the name oil (i.e. something slick that actually lubricates and doesn't gum stuff up)
I also do extended drain. (provides equal protection and is great when you are like me and on a college student shoe string budget) Also, I have to get at least 600k before my first rebuild. I just wish the IDIOTS that owned it before wouldn't have put Pingzoil in it before so I can get the full engine life (1 million miles any less than that and an engine was just plain abused). This thing has to last me the rest of my life. While the rest of you guys are here using these things as play-toys, I will pay mine off, marry my fiancée, pay off the student loan, let her get residency in the U.S. then, move back home to Nicaragua where I will spend the rest of my life teaching ESL in the Baptist University. Doing the Lord's work in missions. And getting to wheel in the most beautiful country in the world. Unfortunatly teaching ESL in at University level pays about $300 a month. Granted, you can live off of it just fine. Just, don't expect to buy any new cars with it (Nicaraguan bank intrest currently steady but 50% APR) So, anyhoo, I got to drive it 'till the wheels fall off, then when they do, try to have some church up here in US help me put it back together so I can do more mission crusaides with father in law to be in the mountains. It is some fun wheeling. Can't wait to do it in an X. I know they can take it. (I saw one up there in the mountains. (WAYYYY up in the mountains. Have no clue how it got there Gen 2 with no lift and no more than 31's (if that tall). They can handle it though. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem with oil is that the manufacturers are constantly changing formulations and buying each other out. You never seem to know what you are getting any more. The only way to really know how well your oil is performing is to have an oil analysis run on your oil. Check out this website, there is more info oil than you can ever read:

www.bobistheoilguy.com
-Joe

Back