• 5W30

Votes: 140 33.0%
  • 5W50 synthetic

Votes: 54 12.7%
  • 10w30 synthetic

Votes: 88 20.8%

• Total voters
witchdoctor said:
I have been running Mobil 1 15w-50 for 4 years. I would probably run a lighter weight if I lived elsewhere, but here the coldest it ever gets is 70-75 degrees.

I run 0 w 30 here in Florida; very similar climate as yours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Quaker State 10w30 4x4 synthetic. Seems to be holding up well.

I used Motorcraft products from Walmart. For $10.07, I get Motorcraft 5W/30 synthethic blend for only $1.42/qt and the FL-820S filter for $2.97. I like keeping my oil fresh, so I change it about every 2500 mi. (10 to 12 weeks). Mostly city driving and not much highway.

:rolleyes: valvoline 20-50 here. in south florida and previous owner never took care of engine. now it knocks LOUD with 170,000 on it.

Poll closed. The thread can still be replied to.

I ran sea foam in my oil for a short period, dumped it and syitched to a 10w30 synthetic, and have been battling small main seal leak since. I have went back to regular dino oil and have tried the High Mileage stuff but it still seems to be wet around that main seal.
Would switching to a 40 weight be safe? i bought some quakerstate 10w40 tonite and id just like to hear some opinions before i put it in.

valvoline max life 10w-30

mobile 1 leaks. I try to change it every 3000 miles.

Good ol' Castrol GTX 10W30 with K&N oil filter.
Loved synthetic for protection of internals over the years, but got tired of the premature gasket and seal leaks. My racing Mustang was always springing leaks around the valve covers,rear oil seal, and the timing cover. Didn't know it was the oil causing it until a couple years after using Mobil 1 and a guy told me about it. I thought I was just having bad luck, or maybe had done too many teardowns on my block.
The K&N is a hell of a filter. I've put over 900 Kms on it this month, and oil still looks fresh and as amber as the day I put it in, and that's on an engine with 218.000Kms.
I was told you can get an additive you can add to your crankcase when using synthetic that keeps your seals pliable, but honestly, I figure with the higher mileage, might as well save the bucks on the oil and additive, and just spend the extra on the K&N instead.

Back