Poll--What kind of oil do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poll--What kind of oil do you use?

What type of oil do you use?

• Synthetic

Votes: 103 47.2%
  • Conventional

Votes: 89 40.8%
  • Multi-Blend

Votes: 26 11.9%

• Total voters

Cameron

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Streamwood, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Just curious what type of motor oil is most commonly used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Cameron
Just curious what type of motor oil is most commonly used.

Could you add an ancillary poll that deals with which brands of oil used?

Thanks....

I'd use PIAA Motor oil but it costs $20 a quart... and they only sell it overseas... and its designed for Formula 1 race cars, LOL.
Al, i think there are far too many brands of oil to start a survey based on that... I can think of 8 brands of oil that just popped into my head... I'm sure theres many many more...

Originally posted by aldive

Could you add an ancillary poll that deals with which brands of oil used?

Thanks....

I wanted to do that but we are limited to 5 options in the poll. There are way too many different oil companies and sub-brands and weights to be covered under 5 options.

castrol synthetic blend 5w 30. that stuff rocks!

Originally posted by mattadams
I'd use PIAA Motor oil but it costs $20 a quart... and they only sell it overseas... and its designed for Formula 1 race cars, LOL.
Al, i think there are far too many brands of oil to start a survey based on that... I can think of 8 brands of oil that just popped into my head... I'm sure theres many many more...

Oh god, they even shaft you on oil too? :rolleyes: Dang Matt, you have quite a racket there. Of all the things, I don't think I have ever heard of a light company making oil. For $20 it better be 100k oil. :p

I think I've got synthetic... But then, the oil's probably been changed since I went to college, so God only knows what my parent's put in my baby this time... :smoke:

10-30 mobil one.....

Pennzoil 10/30, I'm not sure if its that new kind or not, I'll look at the box tomorrow :) But once this box runs out Im going for Valvoline Max Life.

jeff, that is usually the best kind :)

Actually I use Castrol or Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30. Depends upon which is on sale at the time.

Originally posted by Gimp

Now there's a man after my own heart.
Friends and family make fun of me a lot because I'm 'thrifty'. They are also quick to remind me of the time that I busted my head open and rather than let them take me to the emergency room to get it sewn up (as I had done on previous occasions where I'd busted my head), I get on the phone to call around to find out where I could get the best deal on getting x-rayed and sewn up. Now, that's cheap............I mean, 'thrifty'.;)

Superglue does wonders for suturing up large gashes :D, and it's CHEAP er, thrifty . Besides, that's what it was originally designed for!!

I see a lot of 10-30Ws above
Doesn't Ford call for 5-30W?
I remember something a few years ago with GM cars getting sticking ????? with 10-30 10-40 so they switched to 5-30w.

Since then everyone seemed to go to 5-30W.
What are I missing or what don't I know?

All the 4.0L Explorers call for 5W30 oil, and I think some of the 5.0L actually call for 5W20 (I may be wrong, this is from memory). When engines get older, the tolerances between components inside get greater due to wear. This allows more oil to get into the combustion process. By switching to a 10w from a 5w in an older motor, you will burn less oil due to the increase in viscosity.

Vehicles are also now under stricter gas mileage limits. Ford and other companies are recommending thinner oils which will help gas mileage somewhat. Also, some of the newer engines might be built with closer tolerances, but I believe it has more to do with gas mileage.

I am running 5W30 Amsoil full synthetic 25,000 miile oil. It's great stuff and I only have to repalce the filter after 6 months. The means only 1 full oil change per year :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 95XLT
I am running 5W30 Amsoil full synthetic 25,000 miile oil. It's great stuff and I only have to repalce the filter after 6 months. The means only 1 full oil change per year :)

I am not comfortable with extending oil service life that long.

As important as clean oil is, and as cheap as oil is, thyen why not change more frequently?

Back