XR250rdr

Reaction score
City, State
so cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger XLT
1995 Ranger 4.0 2WD w/ 4R55E
123k miles

I had a 2-3 flare issue, 3-2 slip and occasionally it would jitter between 4 and 3 if I got into it on the freeway. The fluid wasn't burnt though so I didn't think I had burnt the band quite yet.

Yesterday I replaced the following:
Ford TSB updated separator plate and valve
All 6 solenoids (from 800700transmission.com) & updated bracket
Installed Sonnax boost valve
Superior shift kit

Now its not shifting out of first unless I lift my foot and has thrown the following codes:
P0732
P0756
P0761

The one thing I failed to do during the install was test the new solenoids.

I'm going to go back in and resistance test each solenoid. I'm also going to inspect the internal wiring harness. Any other thoughts about components to check?

Also if I have a 0-15V variable power supply is it possible to function test the shift solenoids?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to make sure the shift solenoids operated on 12V.

I installed the red banded EPC. The guys at 800700trans recommended it as a replacement for the original one.

The performance curve is different on both solenoids. The red band's curve is a little smoother, and is used on the 5R55E.

All the shift solenoids checked out. The harness has a few wires with cracked insulation but passed continuity tests.

It shifts into second now but still too high. I got a chance to get on the freeway and found I have no 4th either. No engine braking in manual 1st either.

The guy at 800700tran swore up and down the red banded EPC would work, but low EPC pressure could be causing my issues as well. :(

Picked up a pressure gauge last week, it arrived while I was out of town on Saturday.

I just tested line pressure:
120 psi in P @ idle
180 psi in R @ idle
380psi in R @ stall

Did a stall test in D and the needle bounced pretty violently. Couldn't get a reading.

Your failure codes are functional failures of the SSA and SSB solenoids. Whenever I see "new" solenoids failing supposedly, it makes me suspect the harness. Two of your three codes implicate the SSB solenoid, and one only implicates the SSA solenoid.

Check the harness.

Is it common for any of the external harnesses to have issues or mainly the internal harness?

I checked the harness and it tested fine, but my original issues included some shift solenoid malfunction when hot so I went ahead and ordered a new harness. I don't want to keep chasing my tail on this.

Okay so I replaced the wiring harness and went through the valve body again to make sure I didnt have anything in the wrong place.

I now have 2nd gear, but still no 4th. It hasn't thrown any codes yet either.

I'm still fighting this issue and I'm pretty much stumped by now. OD will still not engage and it hasn't thrown any codes. Triple checked the valve body and everything seems to be in place and not frozen.

Current configuration:
TSB 03-22-10 installed
Superior kit installed w/o pressure riser
Original green band EPC, original TCC and new set of shift solenoids.
New ZC servos for intermediate and OD.

Problem existed before I replaced the servos.

Previously I had an increased ratio boost valve installed. I wasn't sure if over pressure could cause my issue since it appears the Superior kit will already increase pressure with the OEM ratio boost valve so I re-installed the original boost valve.

Pressure:
Idle in P, N: 120psi
Idle in R: 180psi
Idle in OD, 2, 1: moves around between 80 and 90 psi, mostly sits closer to 90
Stall in R: 380psi
Stall in OD: 230psi
Stall in 1: 270psi

I could not test EPC pressure as my trans does not have a port for it.

Stall speed was within spec in all ranges.

I constructed a simple tester to fire the solenoids and the OD band will engage when SS3 is fired with the truck up on a stand.

Ok from the FORD manual for this tranny, "no 3-4 shift"

It advises to check the solenoids (I think you have pretty much done this)

Then is suggests you check the valve body... "Screws out of torque spec. (you DID use a torque wrench, right?) Gasket damaged or off location, separator plate damaged, shift valve bore 203 or 204 spring damaged, missing, misassembled, stuck or bore damage.

Lastly there could be direct clutch damage. The only way to check this would be teardown.

I was able to borrow a good code scanner and do some datalogging. After consulting with Glacier991 a bit I dug back into the valve body and found the 3-2 valve in backwards :eek:

Now its working well again. 1-2 is nice and firm at part throttle with the ZC servo and positive at WOT. 2-3 feels good as well.

Only thing I've seen is a slight bit of TC shudder for just a second. I was doing about 15 and slowly accelerating uphil.

At part throttle it shifts quite firm, some might call it a bit harsh, but no delay. I haven't driven it that much yet so if I notice anything I'll post up my findings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back