PTU Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi yjgift,

I want to look into your case and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, current mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start investigating.

Thanks for getting me involved, Peter! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal, I have sent you a PM. Thanks for help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my update again: the Ex is fixed in one day and this time it was a bad output speed sensor (OSS) which caused funny tranny behavior. I complained again that I need pay for the rental and this time the warranty manager from the dealership says they will pay for my rental bill; she emphasized that the reimbursement money is from the dealership, NOT from FORD company.
Overall, I don't want say this was a happy experience and I still have many question marks:
- I understand that the terms and conditions from standard ford warranty say that no rental will be covered, but if your car with original warranty breaks so frequently (I had five repairs already in 2 years) and if customer knows that you can only get rental covered once per year, how do you expect you can attract and keep your customers?
- Transmission failed two times already in one month, with same symptoms and different reasons (last time was PTU seal leaking and this time a bad sensor), what will come next time in one month?
- How come there is no right warning light when a key sensor is bad? I had both wrench icon and low fuel level icon come up but they disappeared after restart the engine.

Thank you ford, for your great product and super customer service.

ptu seal leak

Hi there, I've a 2013 ex xlt with 13k and ptu seal is leaking, dealer said its a 2day job and the tranny has to come down, is this true? I've read in the forum that its a 2-3 hrs job, no tranny has to come down. Thanks.

Hi there, I've a 2013 ex xlt with 13k and ptu seal is leaking, dealer said its a 2day job and the tranny has to come down, is this true? I've read in the forum that its a 2-3 hrs job, no tranny has to come down. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum lansky42.:wavey:
Reading some of the threads here, it does seem like it a 2 - 3 hour job. Perhaps it may depend on where it is leaking from.
If any other members have had the transmission removed for this repair, please jump in and let us know.
Thanks.

Peter

This is the PTU seal that leaks, it is right in the middle of the truck behind the trans. This is the drive shaft that turns the rear wheels in 4wd.
image-3.jpg

Hi there, I've a 2013 ex xlt with 13k and ptu seal is leaking...

Hi lansky42,

When is your Explorer headed in to the dealership? Shoot me a PM with your details (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name); I'll give your regional customer service manager a heads up that your vehicle is getting serviced.

Crystal

We have a 2012 Explorer with 39,000 miles on it. We noticed a very thick/sludge like oil in the garage. My husband crawled under the Explorer and could see that it was leaking from the transmission.

We took the Explorer into he dealership, and they confirmed the PTU seal is leaking. They put us into a rental, at no charge, and will have it fixed by Monday under the power train warranty.

Absolutely in love with our dealership, and Ford. It's disheartening this happened, but thats why we have a warranty.

We have a 2012 Explorer with 39,000 miles on it. We noticed a very thick/sludge like oil in the garage. My husband crawled under the Explorer and could see that it was leaking from the transmission.

We took the Explorer into he dealership, and they confirmed the PTU seal is leaking. They put us into a rental, at no charge, and will have it fixed by Monday under the power train warranty.

Absolutely in love with our dealership, and Ford. It's disheartening this happened, but thats why we have a warranty.

Sounds like you guys have an awesome dealership, ProudExowner. If I can be of any assistance, just let me know. :)

Crystal

Transfer Case issue. Need guidance.

Hey,
I'm new. I ordered and received my new Explorer Limited 2013 in April this year and have racked up almost 17,500 miles thus far carting my family all over the place.

Have had a few "issues" with my vehicle and it is in the dealership at this moment. I am looking for a place where I can understand what is going on with it.

Two weeks ago, it was in for a leaky trans differential fluid leak. I don't even know what that means, but now it is in to have the transfer case completely replaced. It was lurching without pressing on the gas, heavy grinding under the front part of the vehicle. Completely freaking me out. I felt like I was driving a car with a mind of its own.

Can anyone direct me to the right thread where perhaps I can be a bit more educated on what is going on? Is this the start of bigger problems? Are there safety concerns I'm not seeing? What are the right questions to ask of my dealer when I pick it up? Should I be greatly concerned about this or is it just a fluke?

Thank you so much.

Kathy

Just a guess but sounds like the fluid leak caused internal damage on the transfer case due to not having enough fluid (premature wear). The leak might have been fixed but that didn't do anything to the damage ready done.

Thanks for the info! Got it back this afternoon. The entire transfer case was replaced. They indicated that the gears were stripped. 4x4 system failure. PTU internally faulty.
I hope this isn't one of "those cars" you hear about that has one issue right after another.

Thanks for the info! Got it back this afternoon. The entire transfer case was replaced. They indicated that the gears were stripped. 4x4 system failure. PTU internally faulty.
I hope this isn't one of "those cars" you hear about that has one issue right after another.
I think this is the first case that I can recall where the entire transfer case was replaced. Things like that can happen and shouldn't should not always be taken as an indication that other issues will follow.

Peter

Keep us updated on how it is running !!

If you are going to keep this vehicle any length of time, I'd suggest you get a extended warrantee plan from Ford.....you may need it, our 13 has been a problem....Plum

Looks like this thread is a few months stale, but I wanted to add in, this one hit me too.

28,000 miles on a 2012 Explorer, and the PTU is fried. I didn't have any of the tell tale leaks, but I did get a very strong smell in the cab (Smelled like Onions or Natural Gas, but was strong enough in the cab to force me to open all windows). Took the truck to the dealer in Vista, CA and it took them 2 days to isolate the issue. They have the part in hand and are running the repairs now.

We shall see how it performs once I get it back.

Looks like this thread is a few months stale, but I wanted to add in, this one hit me too.

28,000 miles on a 2012 Explorer, and the PTU is fried. I didn't have any of the tell tale leaks, but I did get a very strong smell in the cab (Smelled like Onions or Natural Gas, but was strong enough in the cab to force me to open all windows). Took the truck to the dealer in Vista, CA and it took them 2 days to isolate the issue. They have the part in hand and are running the repairs now.

We shall see how it performs once I get it back.
Welcome to the Forum crod23.:wavey:
Glad to see you found the thread. Hope that everything is back to normal after the repair. :):thumbsup:

Peter

...They have the part in hand and are running the repairs now...

This is what I like to hear, crod23; it sounds like you're in good hands at the dealership, but feel free to send a PM my way if you need my help. Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received an email from the new owner of my 2011 Limited last week saying that a week after he bought it, the vehicle had a PTU leak that required replacing some gaskets.

Peter

Back