PTU Problems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bryceb, you were correct. It was the PTO seal that was leaking. Took it in yesterday and got it fixed under warranty...

I'm glad to hear your dealership got this taken care of, psj. Thanks for sharing your outcome with us!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to me 2012 XLT just developed oil leak at rear of engine

I want to get some info on the potential causes before my service appointment on thursday. I've had the XLT for less than 2 weeks and it is now leaving puddles of oil. The dealer will fix it and it should be covered either under the powertrain warranty or NYS lemon law warranty requirements. It has 31k miles on it.

The drips are coming from the rear of the engine. I can't see where exactly though. I know that it could be the rear main seal, but what else could it be? I'm not familiar with Ford or their engines yet. I took some pics as best as I could. Thanks!

2e5t6oj.jpg

Welcome to the Forum pratbert.:wavey:
There is a thread on an issue that has been experienced by some members. It involves a leaking PTU seal;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379087&highlight=ptu+leak
Not sure if that is what you have. Please let us know what the dealer has to say.
Also, when posting pictures, it is best if they are kept to a 800X600 maximum size.
The Ford rep on this Forum is Crystal (FordService). If you need further assistance you can send her a private message (PM) at;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

sorry about the size! I know some forum software automatically scales and lets you click for full sized. Next ones will be smaller.

How can I tell the difference between PTU fluid and engine oil? The pool is brown but that just means it's not red transmission fluid. My engine oil is on the low side of the stick, but not to where I get a warning. I'm going to top it off today.

Not too sure about telling the difference between engine and PTU oil but I do believe PTU oil is brown. Engine oil is kind of a golden colour unless it is very dirty. The Explorer is not the only Ford product with the PTU leak issue.

Peter

The fluid appears to be PTU. I checked the dipstick and the oil on it was pretty clean looking but the oil that dripped was nice and brown so I'd say PTU. I will let you know what the dealer says.

ok, the dealer called and confirmed that it is the PTU seal. They have everything they need in stock and will fix it. So far, despite the disappointment of a leak at 30k miles Orange Ford seems to be doing a good job with service. I won't know for sure until it's all said and done though.

Thanks for reporting back. Since it was confirmed as a PTU seal leaking, I have merged your thread with this one. Thanks again and good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

ok, the dealer called and confirmed that it is the PTU seal. They have everything they need in stock and will fix it. So far, despite the disappointment of a leak at 30k miles Orange Ford seems to be doing a good job with service...

That's what I like to hear, pratbert. Let us know what you think when they're done; you know how to get in touch if you need me to step in and help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I only have 2800 miles on the Ex. Found an oil spot on the ground in the garage and took it in. Ford said its a PTU seal leak. It's about a two to three hour job. They got the part for me in one day, taking it in next week!
Has anyone had a PTU seal leak yet?

Yep, mine leaked at about 25000 on my 2013 Explorer. Ford fixed it and no problems since. I have almost 40000 on it now.

Mine leaked (PTU) at about 4000 miles, and then the entire PTU replaced at about 8000 miles because of a high pitched whining sound. On one of the threads I had posted a pic of the work order.

Good to have the explorer back! They are a high volume dealer and always seem to be in a rush and out of breath. No BS, but they got the job done quickly and done right under warranty plus they did the power steering recall, though I now have an APIM recall that I will have to bring it back for.

Hello All,

Just took my 2012 ford explorer to dealer for the works: oil change , tire rotation etc... Took 2 ½ hours as the service rep came back with a slew of problems. Among the most expensive was 1300.00 to fix a leaking PTU...

Funny as I just had the car serviced there within 3 months for a bill of 700.00 and only problem was rear brakes pads/calipers. No mention of PTU and of course out of warranty (68k) mikes.

How bad is a leaking PTU and should I get it fixed right away ? I was thinking of taking it to a local reliable mechanic or is this something the dealership should handle...

Was a little hesitant and pissed as the dealership as I know I brought my car in for the power steering recall but the rep had no record of it ??? So was a little hesitant from giving the ok on the PTU issue...

Any advice as I don't want to be driving and this issue is serious.

Thanks and regards,
Darrin

Depends of course of where it is leaking, but if it's the seal as pictured in post # 25 of this thread it's no big deal and should be maybe 130$ not 1300$!

Depends of course of where it is leaking, but if it's the seal as pictured in post # 25 of this thread it's no big deal and should be maybe 130$ not 1300$!

Thanks Jeff59rt1 for the quick reply and you got me thinking as things I should have ask the rep. I'm not sure where it is leaking and also not sure if the price was for replacing the PTU or repairing. All he told me was the PTU was leaking starting to grind and the cost to fix. Every question I asked he must have went to confirm with someone . I will give them a call in the AM to get more information ... Funny I left the dealership only with the acronym PTU now I know what it stands for...

Not sure if the leaking PTU is causing me car somewhat jerk/ kick when I accelerate, last time they told me my calipers was the cause, they fixed the calipers but occasionally upon accelerating I get the jerk/ kick start.

I did a quick check on fordparts.com and they show the PTO (Power Take Off) as being $811.51. The search doesn't recognize PTU so I'm guessing it's the same thing?
Since you haven't added your model to your profile I had to do some guessing.

Peter

I did a quick check on fordparts.com and they show the PTO (Power Take Off) as being $811.51. The search doesn't recognize PTU so I'm guessing it's the same thing?
Since you haven't added your model to your profile I had to do some guessing.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I have a 2012 Ford explorer and I just called the service advisor for more details . Thanks for the info as the price he quoted for the PTU was $880.00
and $562.00 for Labor (about 4.5hrs).

Strange as i asked him where it was leaking as I was thinking, as Jeff alluded
to, maybe if it was the seal I can repair, he replied the mechanic said it had to be replaced couldn't be repaired ??

Kicking myself for putting an extended warranty on my wife car and not mine, she said I was nuts, no plain dumb I guess...lol

Thanks Peter,

I have a 2012 Ford explorer and I just called the service advisor for more details . Thanks for the info as the price he quoted for the PTU was $880.00
and $562.00 for Labor (about 4.5hrs).

Strange as i asked him where it was leaking as I was thinking, as Jeff alluded
to, maybe if it was the seal I can repair, he replied the mechanic said it had to be replaced couldn't be repaired ??

Kicking myself for putting an extended warranty on my wife car and not mine, she said I was nuts, no plain dumb I guess...lol
Which model? Base, XLT, Limited, Sport. It can be helpful in some cases to know that and adding it to your profile would help.
Not sure if just the seal can be replaced. I think in most cases the entire unit is replaced. Good luck.

Peter

Hello All,

Just took my 2012 ford explorer to dealer for the works: oil change , tire rotation etc... Took 2 ½ hours as the service rep came back with a slew of problems. Among the most expensive was 1300.00 to fix a leaking PTU...

Funny as I just had the car serviced there within 3 months for a bill of 700.00 and only problem was rear brakes pads/calipers. No mention of PTU and of course out of warranty (68k) mikes.

How bad is a leaking PTU and should I get it fixed right away ? I was thinking of taking it to a local reliable mechanic or is this something the dealership should handle...

Was a little hesitant and pissed as the dealership as I know I brought my car in for the power steering recall but the rep had no record of it ??? So was a little hesitant from giving the ok on the PTU issue...

Any advice as I don't want to be driving and this issue is serious.

Thanks and regards,
Darrin

Welcome to the forum, Darrin. Are you going to have your dealer proceed with the repair? If so, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, Darrin. Are you going to have your dealer proceed with the repair? If so, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the welcome and yes I am scheduled to have it repaired on Saturday 21st at the dealership. I sent you a PM with the info you requested.

Many thanks in advance,
Darrin

Back