PTU Problems | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the welcome and yes I am scheduled to have it repaired on Saturday 21st at the dealership. I sent you a PM with the info you requested.

Many thanks in advance,
Darrin

It's my pleasure to help, Darrin! Your case escalation info is waiting in your inbox; don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else I can do to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grease leaking

Hi, Been noticing some oil spots on my driveway. Could not believe it was my Explorer (2013 XLT) but I crawled under and sure enough, it looks like it is grease dripping from some sort of open casing. I have an appointment to have it looked at this week but does anyone have any idea what this is that is leaking?

XDGXB3v.jpg

Thanks. -- Bud

PTU seal leaking. It's a common problem. I'd go to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty.

Hi, Been noticing some oil spots on my driveway. Could not believe it was my Explorer (2013 XLT) but I crawled under and sure enough, it looks like it is grease dripping from some sort of open casing. I have an appointment to have it looked at this week...

I'm glad you're having your dealer take a look at that leak, Bud; come back and tell us when you receive a diagnosis. What's the Explorer's current mileage?

Crystal

PTU seal leaking. It's a common problem. I'd go to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty.
Thanks for that info. I knew about the PTU issue but wasn't sure what I was looking at in the picture so I didn't want to post a reply when I saw it. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Peter

I'm glad you're having your dealer take a look at that leak, Bud; come back and tell us when you receive a diagnosis. What's the Explorer's current mileage?

Crystal

Just turned 30K. I will update when I hear back today. -- Bud

Quick update. At first, the dealer was going to write it off as spilled oil from an oil change but when I mentioned "PTU" and emailed the picture, to their credit, they took a second look. They are going to replace the PTU as there were shavings in it when the tech checked the fluid level. They have to order one so a couple of days before I can get it fully resolved.

Thanks for giving me the info I needed to steer the dealer in the right direction! -- Bud

PTU kaput

In March I was leaving work for a meet up with friends from Colorado in North Central Texas. About 2 miles from work the car indicated “AWD off” then the indicator went off, I drove another five miles and the indicator came on again, there was a slight smell of gear lube, I pulled over and looked for fluid leaks under the car and did not see any. I started the car and there was no AWD off indicator so I continued driving trying to make up my mind to go to the dealer twenty miles in the opposite direction from where I was going or continue the trip, I decided to continue the trip unless the ADW off light came on or there were other indications of trouble. Three hours later I arrived at my destination with no issues other than an occasional whiff of gear lube smell without any evidence of leaks.

When I got back to town I took the car to the dealer to have them look it over, they found no issues, I asked them to be sure as I was making a 20 round trip to Arizona in two weeks and did not want to find the issue in failure mode. I made it to Arizona without any problems. We took the car on some gravel and somewhat rock roads and it felt a little hitchy, like the traction control was working from one wheel to another without any logical coordination, this was in normal operating mode, I tried the other modes, it did not make a difference. Once again there was a slight smell of gear lube without any evidence of leaks. Hitting the highway again there were no issues, enjoyed the visit and headed home.

A few weeks later we were backing up to the garage and there was a squeaky / grind type noise for about thirty feet. I called the dealer the next day, Monday, and made an appointment to have the car looked at on Wednesday. I drove to work Monday and Tuesday (about 60 miles total) without any issues, at this point I was concerned that the dealer would not be able to reproduce the noise. After work Tuesday I pulled the car slowly back and forth while turning the steering left to right about 75 feet in the driveway to see if I could reproduce the noise, after a couple of trips there was some clunking / scraping noise, kind of sounded like a rock got between the heat shield and the drivers front brake rotor. I asked the wife to come out to drive so that I could localize the noise, when showing her how I was doing this there was a low grade mechanical bang and a nasty drizzle of gear lube along the driveway. When I stopped a 8 inch puddle formed, yes it was gear lube and it had indications of metal in it, the interesting thing was that this was a warm day in Texas (hot for Colorado) and the gear lube an hour later was still standing about 3/8 of an inch thick! This was all without any further AWD off indicator or codes thrown

I called the dealer and scheduled a tow. They got the car on the lift and discovered the PTU had broken the case from the inside out at the very front of the case, catastrophic failure. They ordered in a new PTU and replaced it, this involved removal of the transmission, they had it from Wednesday through the next Monday. We have had the car back for a few weeks at this point and I have been keeping a critical ear to it, so far so good!

Having an extended warranty the dealer set me up with a rental at no additional charge while the car was in the shop, I was very pleased with the way they handled the repair from start to finish.

I drive this car in a spirited but non-abusive way (I don’t spare the whip), I wonder that I have not read about any PTU failures, particularly with tuned Sports that launch in sand mode!

We purchased this car last June and currently have about 23,000 miles on it. We have family in Colorado and Nevada and wanted a reliable AWD vehicle to travel with, with the exception of this PTU (and a small trim) issue it has performed flawless. The stock tires have been acceptable in snow and ice conditions, that said we did spend most of our winter lives driving on snow and ice in Wyoming, Colorado and Wisconsin.

Long post but I did not want to generate too much back and forth interviewing on the issue.

There is a lot of discussion about PTU issues on the Taurus and SHO forums. Ford claims they have lifetime lube in them. Most owners who drive spirited recommend getting the lube changed every 20,000 miles or so. The lube ends up turning into a thick sludge over time.

Some dealers don't even know how to change the PTU fluid (even though it is documented in the service manual) and even have refused to do so because its "lifetime" lube.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Welcome to the Forum rockyTex.:wavey:
Using the 'Search' program, I found this thread and merged your thread with it. As you can see, the PTU issue has been around a while.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome!

This had absolutely nothing to do with a leaking PTU seal, this vehicle did not have a leaky seal, the PTU failed and the case cracked due to a hard part being driven into it from the inside. I have seen this thread before as I have monitored this site (see lurked) for over a year. The thread that this was merged with contained no useful information relating to my situation. Just because PTU was in my title does not mean the issue is related. Not trying to be hyper-critical but the merge rate on this site seems to be OCD related sometimes. ;)

The title is a bit misleading. There are posts here where the PTU had to be replaced without having had a leak issue.

Peter

Hi Everyone:

New member - of course my first post is a problem I've been a super duty owner since 2002, but I just bought a used 2013 Explorer Limited, AWD from the local Ford dealer. It was "Ford Certified".

When I bought the car it had 44,500 miles on it. I drove it for a while, then I noticed a column of smoke coming out of the radiator. I brought it over to a buddy's place who has a lift. He pointed out the PTU seal on the passenger side was leaking. I brought it back to the dealer, who fixed it. Almost right away I could smell the buring oil, but thought that it was just the old stuff that had leaked buring off, but after 300 miles brought it back to the friend and it was leaking worse than the original seal.

So I brought it back to the dealer, and they fixed again. 200 miles later, I noticed the leak again. When I brought the car back (3rd time) I begged the dealer to but a better tech on it. The service manager stated that "our best guy is already working on it" and that he had "done a number of these and they never come back." When I picked up the car for the 3rd time, the service manager promised me that if it failed again, they wouldn't just do the seal again.

Well, less than 100 miles later it was leaking again - so back to the dealer for the 4th time. I told them to keep the car as long as they needed, and to drive it 50 - 100 miles to make sure they had it right. I didn't hear from them all week until late Friday when a service writer called to say it was ready. He was surprised that no one had talked to me about the car and said the service manager was "on a little vacation". He went on to say that Ford would only authorize another seal replacement, but that they put "their best guy on it...." I explained to him that they already had put their best guy on it, hadn't they?

He didn't have a good answer for that - until I arrived to pick up the car and asked the question again. The service writer explained that this guy was actually their best guy, and that he was mamager of their truck shop with 30 years experience. The last thing the writer said was - don't worry we filled the area behind the seal with silicone sealer (?) to it will never leak again. I was livid - I asked why they didn't do this the first time, and he said that they shouldn't have to - exactly my point.

Now the seal is leaking again! This will be the 5th time in for the same seal since the beginning of March.

I don't know what to do - I feel the dealer and/or Ford is trying to cover something up. Do I have to keep bringing the car back every 200 miles till the warranty runs out? Should they have sealed it with silicone, or are they just hacks? Maybe a different dealer.

I have been a loyal Ford owner for years with my 2015 King Ranch sitting in the driveway, and the 2013 disaster, I hate to think how much money I've given to Ford in the last year... my friends at work tell me I should have got a Subaru.

Please help!

Welcome to the Forum Plowguy45. :wavey:
It would seem to me that after repeated failures of the seal that it might be an idea to replace the PTU itself. You can try and get Tricia (FordService) involved to see if she can give them a push in that direction. Send her a PM at;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
With a factory warranty you can go to any authorized Lincoln or Ford dealer. Not sure if a CPO warranty is the same.

Also, please add the model (Limited) to your profile so that it shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

My contacts at Ford told me the PTO (transfers power from right wheel shaft to rear end) is non-serviceable. It's supposed to have lifetime fluid, but most folks are changing it that are aware of the problem. Ford may have added a drain plug to the newer parts for easier fluid changes, but it's a piss poor design that spans across most all of the unibody 3.5L V6 AWD ford fleet. Last year when my wife's 2013 AWD Exploder started puking out the PTO fluid I had to talk to folks inside ford who work at the assembly plant to get ours covered. It was a pain, and it's a problem I will soon not have to worry about.

I refuse to drive anything FWD, and I'm going to strongly suggest that my wife quit driving them too. Too many compromises.

thanks Peter - I will do as you have suggested.

So I just had the PTU Assembly replaced on my XLT 3.0 V6. Under the technical notes from the dealer service ticket it says "Replaced PTU Assembly. Set transmission fluid to proper level. Needs new tires or this may happen again".

This is supposed to be an all wheel drive vehicle that allows for the needed differential action while performing turns on pavement.

Tires were all replaced 20000 miles ago with correct size and have always been properly inflated.

Tread depth starting from LF going clockwise: .145", .140", .175", .175".

I do need tires but not urgently.

Can somebody please explain what the dealer means? They state the tires caused this issue.

Can somebody please explain what the dealer means? They state the tires caused this issue.
BS. Your dealer tech is full of it. These PTU units are incredibly under-engineered. 18 oz. of fluid? Seriously?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just dropped off my 2013 Limited 3.5 4WD off at the dealer today. The leak appears to be coming right from above the front cross member where the half shafts meet so it is definitely coming out of the transfer case.

Not sure if any of you have experienced this but after a spirited/highway drive at the first set of red lights my cabin would FILL UP WITH TOXIC SMOKE!

Looked underneath and sure enough the fluid dripping out of the transfer case is leaking onto the hot exhaust and smoking up as it burns.

Starting to lose faith in this car. Have had a new AC compressor, rear brake problems and now this within the last 25000km and the car only has 75000km on it.

Glad I purchased the 200k/7 year Premiumcare warranty since its already almost paid for itself and I have only used it for 1 year now!

Back