Puddle Light...Colored? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Light...Colored?

Just a thought I had the other night when walking to the sport...would it be possible to make my puddle lights a color other than white? Im thinking blue, but red would look evil too. These are the lights on the bottom sides of the mirrors.

Im thinking the easiest way would be to color the lens somehow, havent looked inside of them yet to see about the bulbs. Anyne know off hand what kind are in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you get them shoot me the part # and let me know how you mounted them PLEASE???

I'm not gonna be mounting them. I'll be disassembling and fitting the LED :D Part #5F9Z13B374AA though after I find the LED size and type it'll be cheaper just to order that single piece.

so basically the LEDS are plug in play? ...I deleted this thread from subscriptions and just found it again hehe

Probably not, but all it takes is power, ground, and a resistor so it should be easy to fit.

The Ford Five Hundred "assembly" came today. $25 for an LED on a PCB w/ a resistor and a lens. This did tell me that all I needed was an LED in my puddle lamps.. so I used 3 ;) Below is a pic of the Ford Five Hundred "assembly" without the lens. Here's the post talking about my 3-LED install: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125450

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 310

Thanks husky. What are the colors on the resistors you use for your LED's? Mine don't seem to be as bright.

Gold, maroon, red, yellow.. When I did my interior conversions I used one resistor per LED, then doing this I used 1 per 3 LED's. The MCD of your LED's may be lower too.

Another way to color bulbs is glass paint. You can get a small bottle form any craft store, and i'd guess in the craft section at Wal-Mart. It comes in many colors, and all you have to do is dip a small bulb in the jar, or paint it onto a larger bulb. Repeated coats produce deeper colors but less light output. I did this years ago to get the lights in my after market gauges to match the stock gauges in a Mustang I once owned.

Does anyone know how to get the lense off of the puddle light or how to get to the bulb?

Welsome to the site drewjarell.

Since it's your first post I wont be a smartass and just say search, BUT in the sticky threads just above this post is a comprehensive description about puddle lights & how to take them apart.

Again, welcome and look around as there is a wealth of information on this site.
Later, Bill

Back