Puddle Light...Colored? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Light...Colored?

Just a thought I had the other night when walking to the sport...would it be possible to make my puddle lights a color other than white? Im thinking blue, but red would look evil too. These are the lights on the bottom sides of the mirrors.

Im thinking the easiest way would be to color the lens somehow, havent looked inside of them yet to see about the bulbs. Anyne know off hand what kind are in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nevermind, missed the thread in my search somehow, went back and saw it. bad idea.

I did this to my puddle lights. I had them all colored red. All I used was a red Sharpie to color them. The only thing is it only lasts for a few months, then it starts to fade. But it only takes about 5 min to do it, and it looks really cool. The puddle light bulbs are the same as the dome light. To get to them you need a torx driver, and the whole lens assembly comes out of the mirror housing.

I too have blue 194's....and the effect is very nice and noticable.........and no ill effects...

D

I heard some rumor awhile back on this forum about those lights getting "too hot" and melting the lens??????????

clarkkent said:
I heard some rumor awhile back on this forum about those lights getting "too hot" and melting the lens??????????

thats if you used the superwhite types that are only supposed to be for example 5 watts but put out 8 watts...... regular replacement color bulbs will put out the same output as the stock ones, however not as much light due to the color.....

oh cool.. thanks bro.

my mom just got a new ford 500 and the puddle lamps on hers almost look like a HID light...Would it be possible to do something like that? I was thinking about stealing hers but there smaller lol

I've got puddle lamps, don't want colored bulbs, but brighter would be nice. What kind of bulbs are those HID looking ones? Check her owner's manual or pull one and snap a pic :D

Actually, what's a Ford 500? F150 you mean? I can just check Sylvania if I can get the proper vehicle ;)

It's technically called Ford Five-Hundred it is a brand new 05 model. It's a sedan it's fricking huge inside and the trunk....don't get me started on that i'm 6'5 and could curl up and fall asleep in there. I dunno about popping off the lights...but i can take a picture of them on so u can see what they look like?

www.myford500.com has the manual available for download. The bulb replacement section is lacking LOTS of info. Maybe lists 20 replacement bulbs and that's all.

I put white LED's in mine. They aren't as bright but they match the LED's I got in my runningboard lights. I made a custom install for this because the light in there isn't facing down so a replacement bulb with LED's would have been useless.

TJM623 said:
but i can take a picture of them on so u can see what they look like?
Sure, sounds good.

alrighty lemme go do that now

ugh...my camera sucks i can't get it focused on the light in the dark :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what brand bulbs are you guys using to make the puddle lights blue? I bought a blue set and the filament was soo strong that it just was white? not even blue.

Back