Puddle Light...Colored? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Light...Colored?

Just a thought I had the other night when walking to the sport...would it be possible to make my puddle lights a color other than white? Im thinking blue, but red would look evil too. These are the lights on the bottom sides of the mirrors.

Im thinking the easiest way would be to color the lens somehow, havent looked inside of them yet to see about the bulbs. Anyne know off hand what kind are in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'll try again tomorrow husky

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

clarkkent said:
what brand bulbs are you guys using to make the puddle lights blue? I bought a blue set and the filament was soo strong that it just was white? not even blue.

I believe you got hyper white bulbs instead of blue. The hyper whites are blue but light up white

Anyone have any thoughts on this being too ricey? Now that you've all got me really interested in doing this cheap mod. I even was considering changing all my interior bulbs over to colored ones too. Maybe red or something since it's suppose to be good for keeping the night vision when turned out. Just don't know how dark it would be when I really needed some serious light.

Ok, I've decided I have to change my puddle lights. It's just one bulb per side, correct?

I think the color changing is ricey. Why would you want less of a light output?

Is there a reflector inside the housing as well? I'm thinking of getting 194 led replacements that are the convex type that throw the light sideways instead of straight up.

I think for the puddle lights, they are pretty useless to me for the most part. Interior color would be too ricey and I could find better things to do with my money, just a consideration though. Sitting on this site all day gets me thinking of various things that I might do.

wont a blue sharpie marker kill the bulb?????????????

I called a dealer, they said the whole puddle lamp assembly has to be replaced when a bulb dies. That's $22. I'm thinking maybe it's set up like the third brake light. Sort of like a fluorescent setup requiring a ballast.

going outside right now i 4got yesterday ...be right back in 5 mins with the pictures

ugh Pops took the car :mad:

If he gets home before 10 i'll run out and try again...This is turning into a P.I.T.A :fire:

:D

ok got the pictures....i need somewhere to hsot them so i can post them

unless u want me to email them 2 u?

Very cool. I definitely see what you mean. I'm sure it's not HID, but am very interested to know what it is. When more get on the road I'm sure we'll find out.

Picture_001.jpg

Picture_002.jpg

Picture_003.jpg

ne1 else like that color for ur lamps.. i think it's sharp

It turns out it's an LED. I ordered a left assembly from FPN and it's on its way. It would be cool to get a Luxeon in the puddle lamps.

huskyfan23 said:
I called a dealer, they said the whole puddle lamp assembly has to be replaced when a bulb dies.

If that's the case,then how did these other people put in colored #194 bulbs? :eek:

For the Ford Five Hundred, not for our X's.

How many bones were they husky?

Back