• Register Today It's free!

Question about automatic hubs?

jakejeff

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xl
I just bought a haynes manuall and it states that I should have retaining clips holding the hub to the wheel but when I take the wheel off the hub comes out inside the rim? but nothing holding the hub to the wheel? if these are supposed to be their where could I get some???

1994 xl 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that too in the book, but mine doesnt have any either, so I dont think they are too important...

On your explorers their are supposed to be "Tinneman" clips that hold on your hubs, when you have the hub on,these flat pieces of metal push over the wheel studs and hold the hub in place. These are difficult to get off without breaking. That is probably why yours are missing.

most car places remove the ones you had on... normally only 1 or 2 of them....... they arent important...... and you must remove them with any after market wheel as they can cuase the wheel to not properly situate itself onto the hub

The clips aren't needed. They are applied at the factory to keep things in place while the buggy is moving down the assembly line. If they're not there, your hubs have been pulled before.

Back