Question, will the 33's fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question, will the 33's fit?

Hi, I have a '93 XLT 2WD and I have a 3 inch PA body lift, with shackles in the back and tomorrow im putting coil spring spacers in the front. All together its about a 4.5 inch lift. I have tiny bald tires at the moment and I have a few options: My friend will sell me his 33" maxxis buckshot mudders to me for $150, they have about 70% tread left. The only problem is, he has a chevy 1500, so I would need to get 16 inch rims. I researched online and I found the Rock Crawler 51 black rims will fit on my explorer, 16x8, 5on4.5. The rims would be about $275. So all together I would have new rims and relativley new tires for a total of $425. I was wondering if I would be able to fit the tires on my explorer, and if I would have any problems like excessive vibrating with the 16x8 rims. Would I be better off just getting 31x10.50x15 and keeping my stock rims with the lift i have? Would 32x11.50x15 fit on a stock rim??? Also, does anyone have any experience removing the coil springs and installing spacers. I can't seem to do it with the coil spring compressors I bought off of eBay. Im thinking of taking it to the local mieneke, they said they would do it for $40. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. searhc around and you'll find just about anything you'll ever need regarding your explorer. I'm going to move this into the Tires and Wheels Forum too.

They should fit. I know the 4x4 is a little higher to start with though. Here is my old 92 4x4 with 4" Trailmaster and 33s on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. You can get 33x12.5 or 33x10.5 on the stock wheel if you wanted. I would stay away from 16" wheels.

1600explorerlift33.jpg

:rolleyes:
If you would of searched, you would know they would clear.

If you would of searched, you would of found links to coil spacers installs.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/factoryspacer.htm

Dont go to 31's, they look stupid IMO. I ran them when I would go for inspection and they just loked tiny, that was when I had a 3" bl and shackles/150 seats. It isnt hard at all to pull the coils and install a spacer, but be warned you will need to go it realigned afterwards.

you should be able to fit 33"s easily.

If the Skyjacker coils on my 2" lift didnt sag down to only about 1.25" of lift then I could fit 32"s all day long.

4.5" should be plenty for 33"s.

Like the others have already stated you need to get familiar with the search button and "discover" the information you need.. When you can't find something after searching, then create a thread and people will help you out.. I would highly recommend picking up a Haynes manual <$15.. It will be very helpful as you work on your X. As for removing your coil springs you need to remove the coil spring retainer as pictured below (coil spring compressors are for struts not independent springs).

18205Coil_Spring_removal_WEB.jpg

A good moto to follow: "Search first, Ask questions later"

hey froader, i was wondering why should i stay away from 16 inch rims, do they viberate or something, let me know thanks

The tires are just more expensive, so when those wear out you're going to have to find tires you can afford. I don't think there are as many options either in that size. research that before you buy them just in case.

Welcome to the site. searhc around and you'll find just about anything you'll ever need regarding your explorer. I'm going to move this into the Tires and Wheels Forum too.

They should fit. I know the 4x4 is a little higher to start with though. Here is my old 92 4x4 with 4" Trailmaster and 33s on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. You can get 33x12.5 or 33x10.5 on the stock wheel if you wanted. I would stay away from 16" wheels.

1600explorerlift33.jpg

This pictures is how i want my 92 explorer to look like!
my truck is stock right now. what would i need to do for it to look like this...do i need to lift it, is so how many inches and what type of tires including the size would i need???
please help I'm new to this. i don't really know ****! i just love this trucks

This pictures is how i want my 92 explorer to look like!
my truck is stock right now. what would i need to do for it to look like this...do i need to lift it, is so how many inches and what type of tires including the size would i need???
please help I'm new to this. i don't really know ****! i just love this trucks

It's quoted right in your post...

Here is my old 92 4x4 with 4" Trailmaster and 33s on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing.

The tires are BFG A/Ts.

i have a stock engine...will my truck run fine with 33s?
or do i have to upgrade the my horsepower!??

thanks!
but, i don't have enough money to buy tires and a regear my axles!
what is if i put 31x10.50x15 tires? how u think it would look?

sorry for the trouble man!

I dont have any recent pic's of my ex on 31's. I had no lift with 31's in my avatar pic. I now have a 2" suspension with the same 31's. I could have gone 33's (i will soon) with the same lift and some (minor) trimming. You will be fine if you do what you have planned. I think 31's with 3.73's are ok. I think you could even go with a 33" tire and still be fine. Think outside the box when working on your truck. Personally I think you could fit a 35" tire with a 4" lift and trim where necessary. Gears would also be needed at this point. My motto is "lil lift, big tires". I am going to use 33's with 2" lift and trim where I need to. I have even seen 34's on a two inch lift. Aim big and make it work, safely. Thats the idea, then have fun tryin to break it.

Well I an owner of a 92 with a 5.0 upgrade and tell ya what gearing with bigger tires makes it a lot more fun. Look around I found ring and pinions for 100$ used to upgrade mine. And I had a 3.73 to start with.

Back