• Register Today It's free!

rear axle

BPattee

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I was wondering what kind of rear gears I have on my truck. The tag on the cover of the rear diff says:
S6220
8 27 88 3631

I used the search function but didn't come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there isn't a tag in the door, I think that the truck was in an accident at some point, because the door trim on the passenger's side isn't as aged as the rest of the truck.

the tag is on the drivers door, not the passenger door... it contains the motor vehcile info, your recommended air pressure, your vin # and paint/trim codes, transmission code,spring code and axle code among other things

I meant to type driver's side, I know where it's supposed to be, and it's not there, sorry about that.

Decoding axle tag

From axle tag given:
S6220 = axle model number. useful when ordering parts.
8 27 = gear ratio. I suspect the 8 should be 3 so you have a 3.27 open rear (trac-lock would have an L where the decimal should be such as 3L27)
88 = ring gear size 8.8 inch
3631 = production sequence number to identify this axle.

MrShorty said:
From axle tag given:
S6220 = axle model number. useful when ordering parts.
8 27 = gear ratio. I suspect the 8 should be 3 so you have a 3.27 open rear (trac-lock would have an L where the decimal should be such as 3L27)
88 = ring gear size 8.8 inch
3631 = production sequence number to identify this axle.
thats exactly what i was thinkin, 3.27 not 8

Back