Rear Differential remove/replace | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential remove/replace

your in the city compared to me man haha.yes i completly agree they do think there doing us a favor.... what a joke! but if you wanted to take the drive Vince's U Pull it in Marcy NY, right next to Utica, has killer prices. motors and tranny's for 99.99, and all fenders for 19.95! when i hear upstate new york thats where i am... right in the adirondack mountains..... the nearest fast food joint is 50 miles haha

wow thanks I'll keep that place in mind, I found his website. I have to goto queensbury, he rips me off, and that is not much farther.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your in the city compared to me man haha.yes i completly agree they do think there doing us a favor.... what a joke! but if you wanted to take the drive Vince's U Pull it in Marcy NY, right next to Utica, has killer prices. motors and tranny's for 99.99, and all fenders for 19.95! when i hear upstate new york thats where i am... right in the adirondack mountains..... the nearest fast food joint is 50 miles haha

I will second Vince's. I got all of my message center and EATC swap parts there for less than $75. And don't worry, they have plenty of Ex's and Mounties.

One tip: if you have kids, don't bring them with you. I drove up with my 4 year old and they wouldn't let him go in with me. Luckily I'm only 20 minutes away.

I use to live in Schenectady and can remember getting some parts from a scrapyard in the Milton/Ballston Spa area. Good luck!

I will second Vince's. I got all of my message center and EATC swap parts there for less than $75. And don't worry, they have plenty of Ex's and Mounties.

Last time i was there(mid Jan) they had about 20 Ex's and just as many mounties! got my hood, fenders, headlights, grille, bumper, all for around 100 bucks!

Just got back from Vince's U Pull It!!!! Got the Ring & Pinion, Diff, Axles... everything i need to fix mine for 85 bucks!!! i think thats a helluva good deal.

My rear end is a code 45

So i figured out the so called "chattering" in the rear.... the pinion is so f'ed.... the kid drove it with no fluid for god knows how long
21064_346950605694_505405694_4806473_7024375_n.jpg

21064_346950590694_505405694_4806471_6882255_n.jpg

Cooner did you by any chance donate an explorer to Vince's.... found a few there from Herkimer haha

ouch

Cooner did you by any chance donate an explorer to Vince's.... found a few there from Herkimer haha

No I didn't. I did see quite a few at local dealerships after the cash for clunkers program though. Those probably ended up at Vince's.

Thats some serious carnage on that pinion! Good luck with the rear end swap. Keep us posted.

Change the brakeline on the rear end while its out. They go like hotcakes from the salt here.

So you are going to set up the gears in the rear end?

havnt taken the rear end out... just took all the inners out.... will be installing tomorrow wish me luck.... and ill prolly wait till the brake lines rot... spent the money on other imprtant things like e3 diamond fires and JBA cables haha. Poor explorers get no love... damn you cash for clunkers

I am in Morrisville New York and I have never been to Vince's but I have herd nothing but good things. I have been to Gary's-U-Pull It, it was okay there but not much of anything good there...

- Jake
23950110130_small.jpg

I am in Morrisville New York and I have never been to Vince's but I have herd nothing but good things. I have been to Gary's-U-Pull It, it was okay there but not much of anything good there...

- Jake
23950110130_small.jpg

Vince's is worth the trip any explorer you want is there... acctually anything is there haha

I've got to do basically the same thing. My mechanic said that the rear pinion bearings are bad. Local shops are guestimating about $1700 to rebuild it but I'm thinking about just replacing the whole pumpkin with a part from a junked car. Any specialty tools required for that?

If your going to remove/replace the entire rear axle as an assembly, no special tools are required.

well when i took mine apart theres only 2 shims... one on each side..... i dont know why everyone keeps saying you need special tools and shims and stuff... just a paint marker to see where your gears are meshing.... ill take some pics today. im goin to install mine today :)

even the haynes manual shows no use of specialty tools...

well when i took mine apart theres only 2 shims... one on each side..... i dont know why everyone keeps saying you need special tools and shims and stuff... just a paint marker to see where your gears are meshing.... ill take some pics today. im goin to install mine today :)

because it will make the job much, much, much easier.

being able to check backlash and pinion bearing depth, you can get a much better starting point then just guessing from the get-go.

but the nice thing about the 8.8, and D35, is that the shims are outside the carrier bearings, which makes it much easier than having to remove/reinstall the bearings just to change out shims.

hey not to get off topic but how does your skid plate mount??? i was under mine last night and noticed the tanny lines to the cooler are very vulnerable to damage with the 4x4 than my 2wd... need to add some protection in that area

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well of course another bump in the road to gettin my ring and pinion done.... the "friend" that was suposed to come help me today didnt... i know that no "help is free and i had $$ in pocket for him but oh well. maybe the other "friend" will show up tomorrow and help me out.

i normally would just do it myself but i have one arm in a sling from a dislocated shoulder.... hence why one of my vehicles is dead lol

Back