Rear Differential remove/replace | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential remove/replace

okay so i finished up the rear end today.... while test driving i noticed a vibration with a low sound.... i thought front hub. then i listened carefully and its the rear end... it ONLY does it when i decelerate.... so i thought it might be my U-Joint... seeing how bent the pinion shaft was i never even thought to change the U-Joint.... what do ya think

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got to do basically the same thing. My mechanic said that the rear pinion bearings are bad. Local shops are guestimating about $1700 to rebuild it but I'm thinking about just replacing the whole pumpkin with a part from a junked car. Any specialty tools required for that?

Change the whole rear-end as one.... i thought it would be easier to do what i did but i was wrong...:p: anyhow if i ever have to do it again ill change the rear end as a whole.

okay so i finished up the rear end today.... while test driving i noticed a vibration with a low sound.... i thought front hub. then i listened carefully and its the rear end... it ONLY does it when i decelerate.... so i thought it might be my U-Joint... seeing how bent the pinion shaft was i never even thought to change the U-Joint.... what do ya think

any takers????

Just got back from Vince's U Pull It!!!! Got the Ring & Pinion, Diff, Axles... everything i need to fix mine for 85 bucks!!! i think thats a helluva good deal.

Am I reading this right? You put used ring/pinion in your old housing? What about bearings?

Used parts?

If you did put a used ring an pinion into your existing axle housing, do not be surprised that you have a whine. Go buy either a new ring/pinion set with new bearings or a replacement rear axle for when the one you have under your truck grenades.

what's the gear pattern look like?
backlash okay? pinion depth okay?
replace carrier and pinion bearings?
check pinion bearing preload?
carrier bearing preload?

all new bearings!. i did get a used ring and pinion gear. i bought new shims, crush sleeve, bearings, and new seals. i used and paint marker and the gears seem to be lining up perfect. everything is torqued exactly to spec. and i only get the whine (if you can even call it that... is more of a vibration) when i let off the gas....

Am I reading this right? You put used ring/pinion in your old housing? What about bearings?

i took a pinion, and complete diff setup with ring all out of one...

If you did put a used ring an pinion into your existing axle housing, do not be surprised that you have a whine. Go buy either a new ring/pinion set with new bearings or a replacement rear axle for when the one you have under your truck grenades.

well i should have done it the way you guys said but i was in a bind and had no money... so it will last for a little bit while i get some cash together to get it done right....

I would suggest that you buy an entire axle assembly from the junkyard. If he sold you the whole guts out of one for $80, the whole thing would run around $100 I am guessing.

I used brake cleaner and some rags to clean it up inside and got a good look at the ring/pinion/spider gears.
You will need to buy a few cans of brake clean, 4 new U-bolts(do not re-use these), new diff lube, a tube of RTV sealant, 2 new axle seals and a new cross pin bolt. (the tiny little bolt that holds the cross pin in, these are notorious for breaking)

I strongly recommend removing the axles and checking the axle bearings, replace if needed, check the surface of the axle where the bearing rides. If you can feel anything with your fingernail, replace that axle from one (from the same side) in your other rear end (assuming that it is in good shape, of course).
Also, take out the fill plug before going much further as it wont help you to hang this under your truck unless you can fill it.

This is the easiest time to replace the axle seals as they are not expensive and, god only knows when the ones in there now are gonna start leaking. I always add just a touch of grease on the axle bearings and the back side of the seals.
If the backing plate is bent on the one from the junkyard, take it off and replace it with the one on the other rear end. Replace both of the U-joints on your rear driveshaft (if you have not done so already). The rest of the job is a straight up remove/replace.
From start to finish would run you about 5-6 hours, but if you can get some help it will go faster.
Good luck

thanks for the input. should have done it that way from the get go. as for the fill plug i suggest to anyone yo put a torch to it for a good 5 mins b4 even attempting to remove.... made it come out really easy when i did mine...

Back