Redoing my exhaust - give me some opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redoing my exhaust - give me some opinions

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
I hacked my exhaust off about 5" after my muffler a while ago because a couple exhaust hangers broke loose. It was supposed to be temporary....but here we are a year later :D. I already have a Flowmaster 50 series. Obviously, it's pretty loud, especially in the cabin on the highway and in the lower RPM range. I want to do something about this, but I need some opinions about the configuration and the tip style.

First, I think I'm going to ditch my Flowmaster. I'm just not happy with the way it sounds. Granted, the 4.0 will never sound like a 5.0, but the Flowmaster's exhaust tone is too high, not ricer high, but getting there. I've heard some sound clips on here of Magnaflow and Gibson mufflers and it seems they have a much deeper, throatier tone than my Flowmaster.

I'm also debating how to route the exhaust. Keep in mind that I have a rollpan, so I have to be careful when choosing the style of exit because there is a lot more showing than if I had a stock bumper. Best rear pic I have:

explorer%20007.jpg

I'm considering this style tip, swept-side and straight back.
2333SideExit4.jpg
[/IMG]

17984flowmaster.jpg

Tips I'm considering:

35129.jpg

35139.jpg

In addition, I'm getting 2.5" pipe to replace my 2.25" and getting mandrel bends done.

Opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much time do you have into your spash guards? :cool:

Attachments

• hartman.jpg
    hartman.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 292

I considered that, but hell it's like they designed those splashguards to bolt on but not to come off. The square nuts just turn inside the plastic holders. It would also add to the cost of getting the splashguard repainted.

I think the side exit is going to be my best bet. Having the pipe exit straight out the back will look akward with the pan unless I run duals. I orignally wanted to do a lightning style, exiting just before the rear tire, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to route the pipe unless I push the muffler way back towards the collectors. Even then, the frame hangs down too low and wouldn't allow me to tuck the pipe up against the body. I don't want a bunch of pipe showing.

Gibson muffler with a side swept exit and a slant cut tip. Thats what I have and I love it.

From what I've read, I think I'm going with a Magnaflow.

Also looking at a MagnaFlow with a 2.5 pipe, might also get a tip, not sure as of now.

Nah probably not...I'm eventually going to sell that rollpan and get some sort of a tube bumper.

i saw you have the fifty series but do you have the suv series because you were the first person to say anything about the sound and i was considering getting the 50 suv?

It sounded OK with it exited at the rear....but dumped right after the muffler its loud. I just like the Magnaflow's note better. It's all about personal preference I guess.

FROADER said:
This is with a magnaflo. I don't like flowmaster anymore compared to my magnaflo.

I did NOT like the sound of Magnaflow on my old SOHC Sport. I had heard others say the same. I didn't do my research before I purchased and regretted it. The muffler sits in the rafters in my garage with about a month's use on it. I replaced with a Flowmaster which was better but not perfect. I have seen many people say they sound great on OHV and 5.0 Explorers however. I was tempted to put the Magnaflow on my 5.0, but went with Flo-Pro instead.

celly said:
I did NOT like the sound of Magnaflow on my old SOHC Sport. I had heard others say the same. I didn't do my research before I purchased and regretted it. The muffler sits in the rafters in my garage with about a month's use on it. I replaced with a Flowmaster which was better but not perfect. I have seen many people say they sound great on OHV and 5.0 Explorers however. I was tempted to put the Magnaflow on my 5.0, but went with Flo-Pro instead.

based on your exhaust threads, you seem to be too picky. ;)

35139.gif

That is sweet. :thumbsup: Go with that one!

What was the deciding factor in choosing magnaflow over gibson?
Just curious.

Back