Replaced alt. still not charging the battery. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced alt. still not charging the battery.

Hey everybody I need serious help my 93 explorer has been down for a month. It all started when my starter went out I replaced the solenoid first thinking that was it at first then changed the starter now it won't charge the battery. I changesd the altenator and still nothing I'm at a loss for words and getting ready to drive it off a cliff if anybody knows what it could be please let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a field fuse in the under hood fuse box. If that goes (or the charge light bulb burns out) the alternator won't charge since it won't get excited.

~Mark

I've checked the fuses and they are fine the battey light on the dash works also I still don't know what it could be

Wow. I wouldn't think a complete failure would be that hard to find. But I've seen some funny stuff over the years. Do you have access to some electrical test equipment...or know someone who does?

Go to the junkyard and pick up a new cable harness. You could have a bad connector.

Go to the junkyard and pick up a new cable harness. You could have a bad connector.

Very possible. But let's try finding the problem before we start throwing money at it.

I agree with Diff Whack Daddy. I'd be suspicious of the battery cable. If you have access to a multimeter, check the resistance of the cable from the starter to the battery (with the cable disconnected on both ends). It shouldn't be more than a couple of ohms at most. If it's more, the cable is probably bad.

The Gen 1 Explorers are known to have internal cable corrosion issues that cause a no-start (or no charge) condition. The cable may look fine from the outside and everything in the truck will work fine, but it won't start.

Also you may want to check the battery cables. Had one in here a few weeks. Scratching head. Replaced the ground, and the alt. then recharged. Found corrosion inside the ground.

CSOffroader,
This sounds very much like the blown fuse in the box that I had (also a 93 explorer, fuse blew when the alternator went). If the 15amp fuse in there is good, then it may be a wire going to the alternator/fuse box. Check continuity between the 15 amp alternator fuse in the box and the "A" post on the 4 wire pig tail that plugs into the alternator. If you read anything but open, it's good. If it reads open, replace that 4 wire pigtail. Most auto parts stores carry it. In the late 80's through the 90's, alternator manufacturers required that this pigtail for the Ford V-6 and V-8's be replaced to hold the warranty, and some even supplied the pigtail with the alternator.

If that checks out, then then next most likely suspect is a battery cable as others have described.

I will continue and just goes on checking whether positive and negative charges are on in the voltage...

HELP!!!!! similar problem on an '05 Explorer

The Check Charging System message came up on the info cluster, along with the Battery idiot light.

At first it was intermittent - coming on and off, and the voltage gage would go from normal to low and back, corresponding to what the check charging system message did.

Finally it simply stayed on, and the engine is running off the battery (verified this by pulling the neg battery terminal while running and it shut down).

I picked up another alt at the local recycler, came from a running vehicle this week.

Still same symptoms. No charge, and apparently not supplying anything to the engine either.

There are three connections on the back of the alt - a post/nut, a single wire snap-on and a 3 wire snap on. any guidance on which is the A and What is the B?

I get 12V at the post/nut connector, but do not know if that is the one that is supposed to excite the alt.

A schematic of the charging system would be awesome if someone has one and would maybe want to PM it to me.

Other than that - I'm wide open for suggestions for things to look at. Not sure that there is a mega-fuse on this year model, and the fuse listing doesn't reference "charging" for any of the fuses except for a 40A for "Trailer Towing Battery Charging" - and that fuse is good..

I also checked continuity from the alt housing to the neg battery term and to other spots on the engine - the alt has a good ground. Before I run this alt back to the recycler (90 day warranty), I want to make sure it's not something else (and I'm thinking it might be)

so, after checking every fuse under the hood, and all of them good, I pulled it and took it to NAPA and had the new/used alternator tested... bad, no DC out.

The salvage yard said it came in on a running vehicle, but took it back and gave me a refund and my core back since they didn't have any more available.

I went to another salvage yard and picked up another one - this one works and I'm all set.

ok heres one i also have a 93 explorer n it wont start i keep blowin my 60a ignition fuse what do u guys think ?

do u think a bad battery cable would blow only the ignition fuse

if you're blowing a 60A fuse, there is a short someplace. Could be pretty much any place in that circuit. with the fuse replaced and the ignition off or in accessory, do you get a dome light, radio, etc?

If other electrical components work, then it wouldn't be the battery cable.

yes it all works until i turn it to start , ive been tryin to find my starter n i cang seem to locate it , do u knw were it would be?

Not sure on a '93... generally starters are near the bell-housing at the back lower half of the engine. The starter solenoid would be another component to check. Some vehicles, have the solenoid mounted on the fire wall, others may have it bundled as one piece with the starter.

so, after checking every fuse under the hood, and all of them good, I pulled it and took it to NAPA and had the new/used alternator tested... bad, no DC out.

The salvage yard said it came in on a running vehicle, but took it back and gave me a refund and my core back since they didn't have any more available.

I went to another salvage yard and picked up another one - this one works and I'm all set.

Hey did the battery light go out.. I just changed my alt, and it was bad.. and now the light wont go out. all voltages are good.. i have a 2005 V8

if you have a bad battery, the battery light will stay on. If it has a bad cell, it won't charge properly.

I'd start out by putting the battery on a charger, then take it to a parts store and have them test it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery is 2 months old, its a Sears diehard Gold..

Back