Replaced TCC, still getting o/d light flash/p0741 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced TCC, still getting o/d light flash/p0741

FordSHO8991

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 5-speed
I have a 99 explorer sport sohc V6 4x4 with the 5r55e and 118K. It also has the tow prep package (trans cooler, 4.10 gearing). Great truck except for o/d flash/p0741 code. I have already replaced the tcc solenoid, seperator plate, valve body gasket, and fluid flush (I used to work at a ford dealer, and the master trans tech is a family friend so I trusted everything was replaced, and of course with all oe parts). Before I get the o/d light flash and zero lockup (at least once a day), the torque converter locks up GREAT, never had one lock up so well before in any other vehicle. It will lock up at approx 35 mph and will stay locked up and chug along even on long grades with steady throttle application. But of course, not many other drivers around where I live can wrap their heads around steady throttle and maintaining at least the speed limit, so it will lock/unlock often due to having to brake or let off the gas (my commute is all backroads in ri/ma. Whenever I am on a highway, this problem never occurs). Of course just with anyone else having this issue, a restart temporarily solves the problem. Also, the fluid is the cleanest fluid I have ever seen (even the old original fluid with 111K before the tcc/sep plate/vb gasket/flush was done was super clean). What else could it be? I have also read it could be a bad epc solenoid or torque converter itsself, but the great lockup and no shift flaws whatsoever lead me to be stumped. I plan on using my tax return money to fix this once and for all, and I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I go to a trans shop and get slapped with "it needs to be rebuilt" when I know it does not need a full rebuild. Thanks for any info, it will be greatly appreciated.

Could be any number of things, but I would guess wear in the valve body, bad seal on the stator, or worn piston hub in the torque converter itself.

Back