Rides like new again! :D

Gadget X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 5-speed
Finally got a chance to do a little bit of maintenance on the X! (Ok, more than a little!) Been having clutch "issues", so I decided it was time to do a little work. Replaced the master and slave cylinders, clutch assembly, flywheel, and pilot bearing. Opened up the trans to "look it over", and it all looked good, so I replaced the shifter bushing, and put all that back together. Then I moved on to getting rid of the 65mph teeth-rattle I had. Replaced the sway bar bushings front and rear. Replaced the very worn out drag link, and both outer tie rods. Next I started working outwards from there, and replaced the shocks on all 4 corners, new wheel bearings, new ball joints, new brake pads, and new radius arm bushings. Then I put on a set of new load range C General Grabber AT/X tires! Then I put on a new muffler to replace my factory-original, rusted out one. Next, I moved on to being able to see at night again! I put in a new set of headlight housings, and stuck some 12,000 lumen LED bulbs in them. I CAN SEE AGAIN!!!!! :D Still have to put in the new axle pivot bushings, new receiver/dryer and orifice tube, then pull a vacuum and recharge the A/C, but I think that was enough for one weekend! :p I have to say, It rides like a new one again! All the way to 95 without a single shimmy, vibration, or shake! Then I just had to stick my new Explorerforum.com decals from @mbrooks on, and call it a day!
20210329_174814.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good! I'm glad you've got the bugs worked out:chug:

Finally got a chance to do a little bit of maintenance on the X! (Ok, more than a little!) Been having clutch "issues", so I decided it was time to do a little work. Replaced the master and slave cylinders, clutch assembly, flywheel, and pilot bearing. Opened up the trans to "look it over", and it all looked good, so I replaced the shifter bushing, and put all that back together. Then I moved on to getting rid of the 65mph teeth-rattle I had. Replaced the sway bar bushings front and rear. Replaced the very worn out drag link, and both outer tie rods. Next I started working outwards from there, and replaced the shocks on all 4 corners, new wheel bearings, new ball joints, new brake pads, and new radius arm bushings. Then I put on a set of new load range C General Grabber AT/X tires! Then I put on a new muffler to replace my factory-original, rusted out one. Next, I moved on to being able to see at night again! I put in a new set of headlight housings, and stuck some 12,000 lumen LED bulbs in them. I CAN SEE AGAIN!!!!! :D Still have to put in the new axle pivot bushings, new receiver/dryer and orifice tube, then pull a vacuum and recharge the A/C, but I think that was enough for one weekend! :p I have to say, It rides like a new one again! All the way to 95 without a single shimmy, vibration, or shake! Then I just had to stick my new Explorerforum.com decals from @mbrooks on, and call it a day!View attachment 329023
nice I have the same tires and they have been wearing great. What do you think got rid of the highway rattle? I have the same issue but have replaced most of the front end components.

My thinking is that the highway rattle went away with the new rear shocks. I went with the monroe load adjusting "coilover" type on the rear to alleviate a little of the sag that I had. So far they seem to be working great! Got em from Rockauto.com for $104.
61gPn2P79+L._AC_SS450_.jpg

I used the KYB Gas-a-just monotube shocks in the front, and they ride great so far, too!

My thinking is that the highway rattle went away with the new rear shocks. I went with the monroe load adjusting "coilover" type on the rear to alleviate a little of the sag that I had. So far they seem to be working great! Got em from Rockauto.com for $104.View attachment 329043
I used the KYB Gas-a-just monotube shocks in the front, and they ride great so far, too!
Im running the gas a just shocks up front too and the monomax in the rear. I may try these out next time though. I will try the rear sway bar and leaf spring bushings next.

Finally got a chance to do a little bit of maintenance on the X! (Ok, more than a little!) Been having clutch "issues", so I decided it was time to do a little work. Replaced the master and slave cylinders, clutch assembly, flywheel, and pilot bearing. Opened up the trans to "look it over", and it all looked good, so I replaced the shifter bushing, and put all that back together. Then I moved on to getting rid of the 65mph teeth-rattle I had. Replaced the sway bar bushings front and rear. Replaced the very worn out drag link, and both outer tie rods. Next I started working outwards from there, and replaced the shocks on all 4 corners, new wheel bearings, new ball joints, new brake pads, and new radius arm bushings. Then I put on a set of new load range C General Grabber AT/X tires! Then I put on a new muffler to replace my factory-original, rusted out one. Next, I moved on to being able to see at night again! I put in a new set of headlight housings, and stuck some 12,000 lumen LED bulbs in them. I CAN SEE AGAIN!!!!! :D Still have to put in the new axle pivot bushings, new receiver/dryer and orifice tube, then pull a vacuum and recharge the A/C, but I think that was enough for one weekend! :p I have to say, It rides like a new one again! All the way to 95 without a single shimmy, vibration, or shake! Then I just had to stick my new Explorerforum.com decals from @mbrooks on, and call it a day!View attachment 329023

“One” day?🤷‍♂️

Almost forgot! I also got my "new" 2nd gen mirrors with puddle lights installed and wired in, and put LEDs in them, too!😁
20210403_202407.jpg

Nice work! I love the little brush guard. I'm a little jelly actually. I go a lot of FS roads and often encounter debris...

Nice work! I love the little brush guard. I'm a little jelly actually. I go a lot of FS roads and often encounter debris...
Actually picked it up at the pull-a-part for $20 several years back. It was on an old BII, but it bolted right up!

Back