Roof Rail Separating | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Separating

The power steering motor recall disappeared for my VIN but not the ignition switch.
I'm guessing they can disappear over time but that doesn't mean it expired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was at the dealership where I had bought my Explorer recently looking at trucks. While there I asked the service manager about the recall on the roof racks. It was explained to me that if I had done any work myself to the roof rails eg. glued them down after the warranty had expired etc, that it may no longer be eligible for work to be done under the recall. So if you want the dealership to work on your rails, don't mention anything that you yourself did. I believe in being honest but to me, it's a Ford problem and they should 100% fix it properly.

Hi guys…I did a few searches and could not locate any threads, but I have to fix my roof rail. The dealer I use has been stringing me along for a year (I’ll remember that) but at this point my 2016 has had “the detached roof rail issue” for nearly two years.

Any suggestions? I tried a new “lock” piece twice, but it just pops back off.

I’m thinking about using a clear or black sealant of some type just to “glue” the thing down. Going on a long drive Monday and I can’t deal with it any longer.

There is a recall. And a thread somewhere showing what the mechanic does to fix it.

Hi guys…I did a few searches and could not locate any threads, but I have to fix my roof rail. The dealer I use has been stringing me along for a year (I’ll remember that) but at this point my 2016 has had “the detached roof rail issue” for nearly two years.

Any suggestions? I tried a new “lock” piece twice, but it just pops back off.

I’m thinking about using a clear or black sealant of some type just to “glue” the thing down. Going on a long drive Monday and I can’t deal with it any longer.
Your thread was merged with this existing one. The recall is 21S22 and is shown in post #142 above and in our TSB/Recall thread.

Peter

There is a recall. And a thread somewhere showing what the mechanic does to fix it.
Good dude here.

I did it myself, as it's not worth my time to fuss with the dealership. I used some retaining pins that were a little larger and longer than what he called for, to ensure they got a good bite on the inner bracket. Oh and the fact that I drilled my holes too large...:crazy:

On Amazon

LECWOF 50Pcs 9mm Clip Car Retainer Expansion Screws Fastener Rivet Retainers Car Retainer Clips Kit 9mm Hole Hood Push Pin Splash Guard Clip Car Accessories​

So I had the recall repair for 21S22 done on my vehicle. It's been about 14 months and it has failed again. I took to the dealership and I was denied by Ford to have it fixed again because it's been over a year and recalls only have a year of warranty. Other than paying $380 to have one rail replaced, what are my options? The side of the cover that is facing away from the vehicle is the side that is opening up but the inner side where the head of the Christmas tree bolts went in is fine. This is on the front and back of the rail on the drivers side only.

Can you post a pic?

Can you post a pic?
Here's what it looks like. I'm not sure if the christmas tree bolts they used failed or were drilled in the wrong spot or they're just not rigid enough....

roof_rail.jpg

Wow that's pretty bad, I'd try Ford Corporate and open a case. If they won't help, then watch the video I posted in #148, have someone push it down flush, drill a 5/8 hole, and mash a pin in there.

Wow that's pretty bad, I'd try Ford Corporate and open a case. If they won't help, then watch the video I posted in #148, have someone push it down flush, drill a 5/8 hole, and mash a pin in there.
I've tried with Ford and they ultimately never reply to me, it's so frustrating. I swear the people who answer and create my case know absolutely nothing about cars. So I've already had the fix, so you're saying to drill new holes in addition to the ones from the fix that somehow failed? Maybe more rigid fasteners?

I was actually emailing with the dude in the video I posted above, he said Ford customer service should take care of you. I'd call again and demand a supervisor. If they still won't help, then I'd drill and fit a few pins in the other side to get it flush. Remove the 2 existing so you get a look at the bracket underneath. That's just really weird how it bowed up like that. Does it push down flush easily or do you have to force it?

Back