Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

Recall 17S11 (Canada Only) Rear Toe Link

Transport Canada Recall # 2017224

Recall Date
2017/04/25
Notification Type Safety TC
System Suspension
Manufacturer Recall Number 17S11
Units Affected
question.gif
Category SUV
Recall Details
On certain vehicles operated in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, soil properties unique to these areas could cause an accumulation of soil to occur at the attachment point of the rear suspension toe link. This could impede the toe link's travel, causing bending stresses and potential fracture. A fractured toe link would affect vehicle handling and could increase the risk of a a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will replace the toe links with revised parts.
Make Model Model Year(s) Affected
FORD EXPLORER 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
FORD POLICE INTERCEPTOR UTILITY (EXPLORER) 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New recall today, 17S40

Seat Track Pivot Link Bolt Inspection and Repair
Affected Build Dates:
2016 MY Explorer Only: Jan 22 2016 --> April 19, 2016.

In some of the affected vehicles, the seat track pivot link bolt for the front power seat may loosen and/ or fall out. A front seat cushion with a missing seat track pivot link bolt may experience increased movement in a crash and may not properly restrain occupants, increasing the risk of injury.

Dealers will inspect and if necessary, apply an interim repair. If the inspection passes, recall is closed. If the inspection fails, the interim fix is applied until revised parts are available in early 2018.

Mailing: Begins January 18 2018

Labor times are less than 1 half hour.

Recall 19S17 Rear Toe Link Replacement

Ford issued a recall for 2011-2017 Ford Explorers assembled at the Chicago Assembly Plant for a rear suspension toe link replacement.
  • Recall Date: JUN 10, 2019
  • Recall Title: REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: 19V435
  • Ford Recall Number: 19S17
  • Recall Description: VEHICLES THAT ARE EXPOSED TO FREQUENT FULL REAR SUSPENSION ARTICULATION (JOUNCE AND REBOUND) MAY EXPERIENCE A FRACTURED REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK.
  • Risk to Safety: A FRACTURE OF A REAR TOE LINK SIGNIFICANTLY DIMINISHES STEERING CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE LEFT HAND AND RIGHT HAND REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINKS REPLACED WITH NEW FORGED TOE LINKS. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN MARCH 2019. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS AUGUST 19, 2019. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE Ford – New Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers & Hybrids | Vehicles Built Just for You‎ | Ford.com OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

Ford issued a recall for 2011-2017 Ford Explorers assembled at the Chicago Assembly Plant for a rear suspension toe link replacement.
  • Recall Date: JUN 10, 2019
  • Recall Title: REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: 19V435
  • Ford Recall Number: 19S17
  • Recall Description: VEHICLES THAT ARE EXPOSED TO FREQUENT FULL REAR SUSPENSION ARTICULATION (JOUNCE AND REBOUND) MAY EXPERIENCE A FRACTURED REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK.
  • Risk to Safety: A FRACTURE OF A REAR TOE LINK SIGNIFICANTLY DIMINISHES STEERING CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE LEFT HAND AND RIGHT HAND REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINKS REPLACED WITH NEW FORGED TOE LINKS. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN MARCH 2019. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS AUGUST 19, 2019. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE Ford – New Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers & Hybrids | Vehicles Built Just for You‎ | Ford.com OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

How come it doesn't show alignment as part of the remedy?

One of the articles mentioned a wheel alignment after replacement. Not sure why the official recall notice doesn't mention it.
Ford...not surprised.
When I still had the EX Sport last year, the recall was performed, even though at that time it wasn't applicable in my region.

Recall 20S63 2014-16 Ford Explorer & Taurus, 2014 Edge Recalled Over Link Shaft Bracket

Ford Motor Company is recalling select units of the 2014-2016 Ford Taurus and Ford Explorer as well as the 2014 Ford Edge over an issue with the link shaft bracket that may cause a loss of motive power or a loss of park function, which could in turn lead to unintended vehicle movement.

Peter

Recall 21S32 - Rear Suspension Safety Issue

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../ford-motor-company-three-safety-recalls.html

Safety recall for select 2013-2017 Ford Explorer vehicles that may experience a seized cross-axis ball joint
Ford is issuing a safety recall for approximately 774,696 2013-2017 Ford Explorer vehicles that may experience a seized cross-axis ball joint that may cause a fractured rear suspension toe link. Affected vehicles may experience a clunk noise, unusual handling, or a misaligned rear wheel. Fracture of a rear toe link significantly diminishes steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.

This action affects approximately 676,152 vehicles in North America, 59,935 in China, 25,257 in Ford’s International Markets Group, 13,162 in Europe and 190 in South America. In the U.S., the affected vehicles are located in high-corrosion states as defined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or in regions with a combination of cold winter weather with relative high humidity and substantial road salt use.

Vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant between Sept. 4, 2012 and Sept. 30, 2017, and Elabuga Assembly Plant in Russia between Jan. 28, 2013 and July 28, 2017.

Ford is aware of six allegations of injury related to this condition in North America.

Owner notifications will begin the week of Aug. 23. Dealers will inspect the cross-axis ball joint, replace the cross-axis ball joint/knuckle as necessary, and replace the toe links with a revised design part. The Ford reference number for this recall is 21S32.

Anyone happen to have the "Attachment III: Technical Information" for recalls 20S62 & 21S32 they can post up? Like to see specifically what the dealer tech is supposed to look at

Anyone happen to have the "Attachment III: Technical Information" for recalls 20S62 & 21S32 they can post up? Like to see specifically what the dealer tech is supposed to look at
20S62: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V675-3269.pdf
Edit: This is the same PDF that Peter already linked two posts ago. Attachment III is in it.

Funny thing about this one, when I check my VIN on NHTSA's site, this is the only recall showing open, not the 21S32 I just received the letter for, and yet, I have a receipt from the Ford shop where it was inspected for 20S62, with "20S62" listed on the receipt, and not recently, was done ~6 mos. ago.

I couldn't find the 21S32, except this Description Of Cause text and thereafter: RCLRPT-21V537-1447.PDF

Was there another more recent recall for the rear toe links or did we just get duplicate notification? We took ours in a roughly 2-3 months ago and they were inspected. That is also a really small looking weld joint.

Was there another more recent recall for the rear toe links or did we just get duplicate notification? We took ours in a roughly 2-3 months ago and they were inspected. That is also a really small looking weld joint.
There are at least three, 19S17 for the toe link itself, 20S62 for select states relating to the link BJ, and 21S32, again select states (same if not larger list of states) for the BJ, which if it seizes leads back to the initial problem of toe link failure.

I received the 20S62 letter last November but didn't receive the 21S32 until 4 days ago.

I just received notification for 21S32 over the weekend.
I haven't had 20S62 done yet, so there are 2 open for me.

As mentioned earlier, it says parts are not yet available, but should bring in for interim inspection to determine current safety of vehicle and complete interim repair if necessary (link ball joints and knuckles)

Back