Running STRAIGHT, undiluted antifreeze... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running STRAIGHT, undiluted antifreeze...

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
This is just dumb on my part, but ever since I bought my truck (99 Ranger 4.0 OHV) I thought that the antifreeze looked WAY too green.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner installed a new radiator (it looks BRAND new, inside and out) but I don't know what he did with the antifreeze.

I bought it from a Ford dealership, but I'm sure all they do is pop the cap and look in the reservoir to make sure the fluid levels are ok.

Obviously, I have to test the antifreeze then (I have to get a tester first).

My temp gauge says I'm running normal, but is it possible that if I were running straight, undiluted antifreeze that my combustion/cylinder temps would be higher than they should be, resulting in the PING I can't seem to figure out?

I know that the proper 50/50 dilution would cool better than straight glycol, because water is far superior in cooling/heat absorption. Hmmm.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running 100% anti-freeze has the best freezing protection, but it will not have much ability to conduct heat. Your engine could run hotter than it should.

Also running straight anti-freeze can ROT your hoses and Radiator.

Anti Freeze isn't expensive. Just go to your local autoparts store and buy some pre-diluted antifreeze and change it. If you are really worried, you can flush it for less than $5, extra. I just did mine the other day. BE CAREFUL there is about 2 gallons worth of fluid in there. Have a large pan ready or 3 - 4 truckey basting sheets (from the $1 store), if your cheep like me ;)

You need to take off the splash guard in order to get to the drain. Only takes about 3 minutes extra time.

running 100 % anti freeze is not good, or better,, it will slush up if it gets cold,,
(check where i live, gets way too cold here,, )
i have seen it do that a bunch of times,,
however , yes it does not conduct heat as well as if it was mixed,,
i say , pay a few bucks get a tester and check it, if it is not mixed just take some of it out and add water to thin it a bit, instead of buying all new,
than retest to make sure it is good to at least -30 ,
make sure you run the engine a bit to mix it up , but don't take the cap off if it gets too hot, , it will burn you bad when the pressure releases,

but don't take the cap off if it gets too hot, , it will burn you bad when the pressure releases,

I always get slightly nervous about that when I do a flush. I usually let it sit a good hour before releasing cap. Also, I usually have a towel over my hand.

If you have the area to do it you can get a flush and refill kit from prestone and just flush the system and refill properly instead of getting a tester. Then you know when for sure fresh water/antifreeze was put in.

I usually run a 60/40 split 60% antifreeze or a 50/50 split.

If I find a place where I can do the flush I plan to run a 80/20 but I'm also in Arizona.

I think that is too much anti-freeze unless you live in Northern Alaska. I would go with 50/50.

Just as an update, I purchased a Prestone tester and my coolant was actually RIGHT where it should be. Weird.

I had a jug of Advance Auto coolant I mixed 50/50 and it was a THIRD as dark green as the stuff that's in there!

In the summer i use to run only water in the rad, but after a few years or so i noticed that was not a good option as the rad started to rust out from within.

So yes a 20% antifreeze to 80% water is a better mix even for me in the summer time, but if i have a 50/50 mix now in it. I usually leave it all year unless it needs to be changed in the late fall for the winter time.

Here in Florida, I run 10% antifreeze and 90% RO/DI water.

In the winter, it gets pretty cold here in Buffalo (sometimes 15 to 20 degrees F.) and in the summber it reaches the high 90's. Anyone that understand the concept runs a 50/50, here, and has never had a problem.

In the winter, it gets pretty cold here in Buffalo (sometimes 15 to 20 degrees F.) and in the summber it reaches the high 90's. Anyone that understand the concept runs a 50/50, here, and has never had a problem.

Ah come on, it gets colder than that in Buffalo. :D It routinely gets to 15F in Maryland. But yeah unless it's Artic cold 50/50 is the way to go.

Do you actually need antifreeze?
In my 1999 accord i just ran straight water, it doesn't get very cold here in the winter in SoCal, usually upper 30's to low 40's. It has in the past few years been getting to the low 30's, and once it went down to 22, but that is so rare that i never used antifreeze.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you actually need antifreeze?
In my 1999 accord i just ran straight water, it doesn't get very cold here in the winter in SoCal, usually upper 30's to low 40's. It has in the past few years been getting to the low 30's, and once it went down to 22, but that is so rare that i never used antifreeze.

I would use maybe 25% antifreeze just to be safe.

Back