SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
Take the battery out of the tray, and remove the tray from the vehicle.
P7060470.jpg

Get an idea where you want the battery and make sure you have the room for mounting
P7060471.jpg

Next after marking and drilling the hols for the battery hold down/box studs, mark and drill the holes in the floor on the trunk area
P7060473.jpg

Assemble the box as it would be in the car, and mount in the trunk through the hole you previously drilled
P7060474.jpg

Then move to the front, and clip off the original battery terminals, and strip the casing back for the new lugs
P7080479.jpg

The reason I used lugs instead of a union is it can be easily returned to somewhat stock if need be, now crimp on your new lugs for this conversion
P7080481.jpg

P7080485.jpg

Make sure they are good and secure fitting
P7080487.jpg

P7080488.jpg

P7080491.jpg

P7080493.jpg

Obviously I'm doing this for both positive and negitive
P7080497.jpg

P7080500.jpg

Be sure to heat shrink any area that may be exposed
P7080503.jpg

P7080505.jpg

P7080508.jpg

P7080509.jpg

Next I went and got 18 feet (each cable) of 2/0 cable to run from the trunk to where the battery used to be, and crimped again lugs at one end and the correct positive and negative terminals to these new cables, AFTER PRE-MEASURING THE RIGHT LENGTH, positive was longer than the negative.
P7080510.jpg

The customer was also said he wanted the new cables color coded so he knew which was which, so I used colored heat shrink
P7080511.jpg

P7080515.jpg

P7080519.jpg

Now that I have run the cables and made all the connections, I took some more split core casing and covered them, and wrapped everything with electrical tape, for this customer, I ran the battery cables through the passenger side interior of the vehicle, some may prefer to run them under the vehicle, just be sure you secure the cables to the vehicle very well if your going to run them under the outside, in this case the owner spends more time off the road than on the road, so inside was a better choice (FORD = For Off Road Driving)
P7090469.jpg

P7090486.jpg

Remove the space saver tab that slide out of the battery tray and cut down the ramps at the far end for the larger intercooler tank
P7090487.jpg

Locate and mark where you need to cut the tray for the drain petcock on the tank
P7090490.jpg

And remove this insult for a cooling tank and pitch it in the trash!!!!!!!!!!!
P7090502.jpg

Before you discard that worthless piece of junk, take the fittings out of it and clean the threads and put new teflon tape on them
P7090507.jpg

CAREFULLY thread them into the new tank and tighten them up
P7090505.jpg

P7090508.jpg

P7090511.jpg

You will have to extend one of the hoses (top intercooler hose) and then besure to refill with your systems favorite beverage ;)
P7090513.jpg

Here's the battery, with the lid off
P7060477.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't even know what to say other than-damn impressive. Very clean, professional installation/fabrication. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Looks like you have one hell of a nice shop!!! :salute:

I don't even know what to say other than-damn impressive. Very clean, professional installation/fabrication. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Looks like you have one hell of a nice shop!!! :salute:

Thank you sir, I try to do quality work all the time.

The shop is actually my garage at home, but none the less I call it a shop :cool:

That looks great! Do you have any information on the crimping tool (one size or multiple die heads, hydraulic or manual, wire gauge capacity, etc)?

Multi dies for different gauge wire/lugs, it is hydraulic and will do all the way to 2 or 2/0 , friggin huge welding cable.

And it's a VERY expensive tool!!!!!

And comes in a nice plastic case :p:

Jeff - :navajo:

geeze man!!

My garage is also my shop its less garage then it is shop = HAPPY :)

That crimper is damn impressive how many friggin times could I have used that SOB
I use a dull AWL and a hammer for the large battery cable connections and crimps...punch the awl down through the copper terminal a couple of times and its not going anywhere........a hydraulic crimper jobber? can I borrow it? LOL

very nice work of course!

dont tell my wife...she loves HF and I am OUT OF ROOM!!!!!! LOL

(you might call me crazy, but we must save some tools for the next much larger garage and Christmas, soon HF will have nothing left for her to buy for me)

That is very similar, and by far much more affordable, but I need to be able to depend on that crimper, not to say that won't do the job, but I do more than just one-zie two-zie jobs so a tool that will hold up is essential to me, plus they're tool's dies doesn't have a broad enough range.

Jeff - :navajo:

Is there somewhere i can buy a kit and also have you heard of grounding kits

Back