Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 82 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did that when I reinstalled the upper intake manifold. I took the throttle body off and cleaned all the gunk out of it.
When the idle is high can you push the throttle closed more by hand? When my throttle body shaft was worn it would hang... I had to push it closed or snap the throttle which worked most of the time.

~Mark

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When the idle is high can you push the throttle closed more by hand? When my throttle body shaft was worn it would hang... I had to push it closed or snap the throttle which worked most of the time.

~Mark
No, its against the stop when idling.

Another guess.

With the engine running spray some carb cleaner around where the throttle blade shaft goes through the throttle body. Maybe the bushing is worn out:dunno:

Another guess.

With the engine running spray some carb cleaner around where the throttle blade shaft goes through the throttle body. Maybe the bushing is worn out:dunno:

Tried that, no change in idle. I am thinking its electrical and not a vacuum leak since I have tried everything. Today, I hooked my vacuum gauge up to the system and with the engine running, unplugged each vacuum line, one at a time. I plugged the lines with my finger and there was no change in vacuum pressure, so I don't think I have a leak. I did replace the plug wires as a maintenance item since its been many years. Got some Bosch superduperbitchen plug wires. It seems to respond to throttle changes much faster, and held high RPM better. I am going to leave it alone and drive it for a while.

You know the really old fashioned way to find a vacuum leak is a garden hose. If there's a leak this will find it. Just don't do it on a hot engine. Do it just after a cold start.

Flooding the intake manifold (externally) with water will show the tiniest of leaks.

I attached a few pictures of my outing today. Finally got to really work the Explorer with the Radflo’s. Went to a local OHV area called Corral Canyon. Its all huge granite rocks and slabs, and heavy brush makes the trails narrow so once you commit, you can’t turn around. Went down a trail I have been down several times, but the last few months of rain really wiped it out. The whole trail is off-camber to one side or the other, or big rocks. Fun.

There is a section that goes into a channel and leans you into a large granite face. Usually I can maneuver around it, but it is much deeper now. I backed up to stack some rocks to save the left rear door, and got a little off camber. I have never been in a vehicle that leaned that far over without rolling. I thought I was doomed. Didn’t get a picture of that because I couldn’t get my driver door open as it was a few inches off the ground. I didn’t want to shift my weight around too much anyway because I could feel the right rear tire coming up. Pulled forward, stacked a few rocks and still scraped the door. I don’t mind the little scrapes.

The Radflo shocks performed very well, in all types of terrain. The Explorer seems more stable when off camber. I also went pretty fast down a wash board road and it was smooth. The rear suspension tends to rebound too hard, but I don't have the funds right now to fix that right. By doing it right, I mean new leafs from National with the center pin hole 1" back so I can clear 37" tires, 17" wheels and well, 37" tires. Maybe some custom tuned shocks too.

IMG_20170418_133532929.jpg

IMG_20170418_133552759.jpg

IMG_20170418_133708408.jpg

IMG_20170418_143241709.jpg

IMG_20170418_143335705.jpg

IMG_20170418_151640241.jpg

I think I got the vacuum leak when I re-torqued the fuel rail. It ran pretty good all day. I think the longer duration high idle is maybe how its supposed to be, but my intake was so gunked up it wasn't operating properly. It doesn't seem to effect anything. Did notice it idled and accelerated smoother with the new plug wires. Need to change out the exhaust manifold gaskets as the right side is now leaking where the bolt head broke off about a year ago.

Looks like a cool area. I'm glad it didn't flop over on you:chug:

you run the connector?

Where I almost rolled was on Sidewinder, which I have run several times, both with others and solo. Its kind-of my test trail. Its much more challenging than last year. The first few pictures are of the first obstacle. I took my neighbor through there last year. He has a mild-built TJ on 33's and no experience, and he got over being pissed at me by the end of the trail. It was where you drive down the off-camber slot canyon with a large granite face on the driver side, before the very steep granite slab that Jeeps hate. You probably wouldn't think it was that big of a deal with full-width axles and the driver side of your rig already demolished. Also ran Bronco Flats, which is not as bad as Sidewinder, because it really only has one challenging spot, but that was more of a challenge than last year too. I didn't want to do the connector or Bronco Peak because I was solo, and I had had enough for one day. I like running out to Corral Canyon because there is always other people out there, its a 45 minute freeway drive, plus some county roads, a 7 mile washboard entrance road, and trails from mild to extreme black diamond. All terrain types test area.

Where I almost rolled was on Sidewinder, which I have run several times, both with others and solo. Its kind-of my test trail. Its much more challenging than last year. The first few pictures are of the first obstacle. I took my neighbor through there last year. He has a mild-built TJ on 33's and no experience, and he got over being pissed at me by the end of the trail. It was where you drive down the off-camber slot canyon with a large granite face on the driver side, before the very steep granite slab that Jeeps hate. You probably wouldn't think it was that big of a deal with full-width axles and the driver side of your rig already demolished. Also ran Bronco Flats, which is not as bad as Sidewinder, because it really only has one challenging spot, but that was more of a challenge than last year too. I didn't want to do the connector or Bronco Peak because I was solo, and I had had enough for one day. I like running out to Corral Canyon because there is always other people out there, its a 45 minute freeway drive, plus some county roads, a 7 mile washboard entrance road, and trails from mild to extreme black diamond. All terrain types test area.

Yea I love that place. That's where I used to take the ranger every other weekend. Sidewinder and Bronco Flats are so fun. So is gunslinger, but I can imagine all the rain we got this year really made the trails fun.

We have definitely gotta get out and wheel together in the next couple of months. As soon as I get my house remodel finished, I'll get the Sarge back together and ready to go play. Also, the Ranger is probably more along the lines of what you are wheeling, and I'm hoping to have it back mid summer too, so hopefully we can get some wheeling in

Good old Sidewinder. Still remember Bill breaking is radius arm on that trail. You had a fun 4 hour wait while we ran back to San Diego to weld it together. Good times. I have only been out there twice sense then.

Yea I love that place. That's where I used to take the ranger every other weekend. Sidewinder and Bronco Flats are so fun. So is gunslinger, but I can imagine all the rain we got this year really made the trails fun.

We have definitely gotta get out and wheel together in the next couple of months. As soon as I get my house remodel finished, I'll get the Sarge back together and ready to go play. Also, the Ranger is probably more along the lines of what you are wheeling, and I'm hoping to have it back mid summer too, so hopefully we can get some wheeling in

If the Ranger is a very capable vehicle that you aren't really willing to destroy the body just to make it through a trail, then yes. I don't mind a little damage now and then, its part of off-roading. However, I don't make it a habit of doing trails that body damage is a given.

Good old Sidewinder. Still remember Bill breaking is radius arm on that trail. You had a fun 4 hour wait while we ran back to San Diego to weld it together. Good times. I have only been out there twice sense then.

That's how I described the trail to the wife so she would remember sitting up on that granite slab in the rain waiting for you guys to get back. It was still a good day.

There is running water all over the place up there right now.

I was cleaning up the Explorer and doing a post-run creeper slide. No new issues, just a bunch of rock rash on the sliders, skid plates and diffs. When I opened the hatch, all of my oil bottles were all over the place. Luckily, they did not leak. I was thinking about that space in the right rear cargo area that is supposed to be for storage or a sub-woofer since Brian1's thread mentioned that space. I keep a few bottles of oil and trans fluid there, but they don't stay in place. I don't have the sub, and the net doesn't hold crap. I have always wanted to use it for fluid space.

IMG_20170419_160618220.jpg

With the little plastic recess removed, the area measures; 10" L x 6 3/4" W x 12" H. Artec makes several quart crates, one of which is an exact fit length wise (4 quart). I am limited to 8.5" of width due to the cage down tube, even if I cut out the plastic. I started messing around with it and figure I can get 5 one quart bottles of oil or trans fluid, and 1 quart of gear oil in there, or 2 quarts of gear oil and 4 quarts of oil, etc. You get the picture. 6 one quart bottles total, secure enough that they should stay in place for anything less than a full rollover. Since I use the same fluid for the trans, T-case and power steering (Mobile 1 trans fluid), I can have nearly all of my fluids in good quantity stored there. I have been working on it today, and should have it finished tomorrow. I will post pictures and explain it better tomorrow.

I couldn't wait until tomorrow. All I did was cut the back off part of the plastic recessed piece that attaches to the inner panel. I trimmed and bent other parts so there were not any sharp or square edges. Put it back together and I fit 5, one quart oil bottles and 1, one quart gear oil bottle. There is still a little more room in there and I plan on putting a tube of RTV there. I can see that it would be a better fit, and a better use of space if I use 2 gear oil, 2 Mobile 1 trans fluid, 2 engine oil bottles, one tube of RTV and maybe a piece of tubing to use to help add gear oil to differentials. Next time I make a run to the auto parts store, I will get another bottle of gear oil. I am pleased, and it cost me zero.
IMG_20170419_185208317.jpg
IMG_20170419_190009549.jpg

Some old pics of Corral Canyon
April of 2005:
First obstacle
brian1.jpg

The notch that leads to this is where I nearly flopped. It was not even memorial on this trip.
Corral Cyn (15).JPG

Busted Ranger
Corral Cyn (76) (Large).JPG

Stuck Ranger (this is RockRanger's rig right after he bought it)
mud2 (Large).jpg

2010 with Mike Kelley on Bronco Peak trail
DSCF3362.JPG

DSCF3374.JPG

:( Those picture make me miss off roading....

Can you point me to more information on the steering shaft mod you did? I need to figure something out for mine.

If the Ranger is a very capable vehicle that you aren't really willing to destroy the body just to make it through a trail, then yes. I don't mind a little damage now and then, its part of off-roading. However, I don't make it a habit of doing trails that body damage is a given.

Yep. That's exactly what i am building it for. We all call it the pretty truck, lol

Back