Setting Home | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Setting Home

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited
With the update, I no longer seem to be able set "home" when I'm parked in the driveway.

While there are lots of other ways to set it, our drive is not at the same location as our street address. It isn't that far, but of course if I ask for Navigation to take us home, when we get there it still doesn't know we arrive, and I have to cancel navigation.

It is minor, but I'm sure we previously had the ability to set the home location in the driveway. Either that, or I've completely forgotten how I did it?

Can anyone assist?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember the exact steps without going out to the EX and doing it, but after you hit "EDIT" for the "home button", rather than inputting an address, select "map", then touch the location that you want set....

I did this for both home and work addresses because if you go strictly by the address, it puts me 2 blocks away from work and two houses away from home.

Thank you cnsheets, I'll give that a try!

Just a thought, maybe a paranoid thought....

Don't set your "home" address as your actual home address. Use an intersection a block away or something. If a thief gets your car and your keys, he's got a map to your house and they keys to get in the door (or the garage door opener).

Again...just a thought.

Just a thought, maybe a paranoid thought....

Don't set your "home" address as your actual home address. Use an intersection a block away or something. If a thief gets your car and your keys, he's got a map to your house and they keys to get in the door (or the garage door opener).

Again...just a thought.

Thanks for the thought - he has to have the code - keys won't help in my case.

Thanks for the thought - he has to have the code - keys won't help in my case.
I general setting your home is a bad idea. There have been breakins and murders etc due to this. Not saying this applies to you but food for thought. I set mine to the police station down the street. Once my nave gets me back to familiar locations I cancel the route anyway.

I general setting your home is a bad idea. There have been breakins and murders etc due to this. Not saying this applies to you but food for thought. I set mine to the police station down the street. Once my nave gets me back to familiar locations I cancel the route anyway.

We had the same thought. There is a police sub-station/county court house a couple of miles away, and that is where we will be setting our "Home". That should give any suspected thieves a nice surprise when they pull up, lol :)

Doesn't most everyone have to carry proof of insurance in their vehicle, it normally has the owners name and address. Not sure having it in the GPS is that big of a deal, there are plenty of ways to get an address.

Doesn't most everyone have to carry proof of insurance in their vehicle, it normally has the owners name and address. Not sure having it in the GPS is that big of a deal, there are plenty of ways to get an address.

That stuff is in my wallet.

That stuff is in my wallet.

We keep registation and insurance cards in our vehicles.(at work same way)
I.E. four drivers and three cars that would be a lot of paperwork to carry around.
By the way, I personally believe that when someone breaks into your car they want it. They are not breaking into it to get your address and then go and burgle your house. Same thing when someone finds keys. What's the odds that a car thief will find your keys and not a honest person.
Yes someone could picpocket your keys, but don't they want wallets and cash?
Just my .02
ok now on to something more pressing. Didn't my keyboard use to have a cents symbol on it?

Back in the day when the garage remotes where not integrated into the car I was concerned. Someone could steal the remote and take your address and show up with a moving van. I really don't worry too much about it anymore.

When the ex shows up I will be setting Home to the house. Besides if it gets lost how will it be able to find its way back home.

Just my .02
ok now on to something more pressing. Didn't my keyboard use to have a cents symbol on it?

Never was any cents to a keyboard. But if you hold down the alt key and type 0162 you get the following ¢.

Never was any cents to a keyboard. But if you hold down the alt key and type 0162 you get the following ¢.

Cool! Thanks.... More..... More......:D

Gotta love ASCII codes :)

Back