• Register Today It's free!

Shocks or Struts? Which one?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 4-Door 2WD, 4.0 SOHC, Torsion Bar Front Suspension, original suspension parts.

In the front, does my truck have shock absorbers or struts? I assume it has shocks (I may be wrong), but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be Shocks. You can simply check by looking behind the tire or just searching on autozone for the front shocks haha. I don't think they made struts for the 2000 explorer.

Make sure you get some decent quality ones. I got discounted monroe shocks through rockauto and 30k later they barely have any compression left in them. I guess I got what I paid for.

Looking for Bilsteins or Ranchos now, maybe they will last longer. They are $$$ but the ranchos are adjustable which means I can adjust for daily driving and off roading/ occasional towing.

Only the Rancho 9000s are adjustable. Good shocks, but expensive.

You have shocks front and rear. Plus an axle damper (aka the 5th shock) on 4 door's. There are many price points and options when buying shocks. It depends on how/where you drive and how much you want to spend.

Make sure you get some decent quality ones. I got discounted monroe shocks through rockauto and 30k later they barely have any compression left in them. I guess I got what I paid for.

Looking for Bilsteins or Ranchos now, maybe they will last longer. They are $$$ but the ranchos are adjustable which means I can adjust for daily driving and off roading/ occasional towing.

IMO, 30K on road grade shocks isn't all that bad for these... torsion bars and the extra weight and rebound of having 4WD is harder on shocks.

Most (all?) spring seasons Monroe (including Rancho) and KYB has a buy 3, get one free or $50 off 4 or $200+, promo. Unfortunately that only ran March-April but Rancho's is still good through the end of July:

IMO, 30K on road grade shocks isn't all that bad for these... torsion bars and the extra weight and rebound of having 4WD is harder on shocks.

Most (all?) spring seasons Monroe (including Rancho) and KYB has a buy 3, get one free or $50 off 4 or $200+, promo. Unfortunately that only ran March-April but Rancho's is still good through the end of July:

Hey man all im saying is my stock Motorcrafts lasted far longer haha:D

But its okay because i did get them half price so it was worth the money.

And yeah Mbrooks420 the 9000's are really cool how they adjust stiffness but the $$ is cool too haha.

I looked hard at those Rancho 9000 adjustable, couldn't personally justify the added cost on a two decade old vehicle that needs other work, so I went with the RS5000X shocks all around a couple months ago with the rebate. I drive some pretty rough roads and am happy thus far with them.

Back