Should i change my tranny fluid?(high mileage) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should i change my tranny fluid?(high mileage)

CHEESYPOOFS

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0 2wd
:help: ok i have a 98 XLT 5.0 with the 4R70W (obviously) lol now my issue here is i have 235,000 miles on it. Its about time to take it in for a tranny fluid change but a couple years ago when i did it last (about 35,000 miles ago) I had a mechanic tell me he wasnt comfortable doing it because he said something about it may be the grit helping the tranny shift... :scratch: So i went and got it done somewhere else but i guess what he said has got me spooked lol so what do yall think? also ive heard there are additives to help with this kind of thing... So i guess my final question again is, "Should i change my tranny fluid or just leave it be?". :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well.. "grit helping it shift" is a new one on me.... personally at 235K I would do a series of pan drop changes.... eg. drop the pan, change the filter, top it up (about 1/4th of the fluid will be new....) do it again in a few thousand miles.... repeat 3 times over about 6,000 miles before you do a complete fluid changeout.

See you really don't save anything by delaying a fluid change! (grin)

i'm at 136K+ miles and i have asked around about their opinion on doing a tranny flush on mine.. they all said to just leave it alone! probably the most dissapointing advice i've heard but they all said the same thing about new trans fluid causing problems in high mileage cars.. they must ve trained to say something like this to customers..

does it really cause potential problems with high mileage cars?

You already took the "risk" when you changed the fluid 35,000 miles ago. Since everything work fine as expected, go ahead and change the fluid again.

Rumple

... when i did it last (about 35,000 miles ago)...

Back