SOHC 4.0 Liter Vortech Supercharger? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC 4.0 Liter Vortech Supercharger?

Does anyone know of a place making a kit for this. What I want to know is there a way to get like a basic Vortech kit like my friend got for his Mustang Fox Body that has around 6 pounds of boost. This is what the EE 4.0 SOHC kit was suppose to run 6 psi. Well if I could get the Vortech and make custom brackets, hooked up the belt system and did everthing else could this work. Or could I uptain the bracket from an OHV kit. Just throwing together some idea. Oh and if anyone knows a placew making a kit let me know thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is indeed true. Communication with customers is crucial.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hartman said:
That is indeed true. Communication with customers is crucial.

Yes, and not advertising stuff on your website, when this seems to be a more web based business, and don't carry them. Example- Clear corners.

I got my information from what seems to be a person that Dave communicates. This certain character runs another board that I'm not welcome at anymore(he he he) but I still lurk there. I'd post the link here but their site isn't welcome here either(understandable).

Here's the entire article-

Dave Vanek got an offer on his shop and its for a very respectable amount of money. It's enough to retire for someone his age, but if it was me or anyone below 40 the answer would most likely be no. Anyway he's very probably accepting the offer and if that is the case, he will only manufacture X-Spec parts and a few performance parts as well. No more shop, no more Explorer accessories. And since there are still the manufacturer issues in the air and the fact that other supposed big-name products like the 4.0 supercharger are becoming "vaporware" (meaning a promised but never released and ultimately scrapped product), it begins to make you think: Just what is the future of Explorer Express?

It's very obvious that accessories for Explorers just don't make money. The market isn't there. And creating high performance products like a supercharger for a 4.0 takes sooo much resources (financial, labor, engineering, etc.) that in the end it: A) Doesn't pay off B) Costs too much money to effectively perfect. Seriously, by the time this would even launch lets face it - many people with the 4.0 engine with the exception of ST owners and 3rd gen Sports aren't really going to be holding out much longer, and thats if they still even own their Explorer.

I want to point out though that of course I hope for the sake of Explorer owners I am proven wrong. But it's becoming extremely evident that what I am telling you now is very accurate and probable. Anyone who knows anything about R&D knows it isn't cheap and Explorers are NOT a money maker.

So....is it reasonable to predict that our main resource for Explorer specialty parts and accoessories days are limited? Looking like it, yes. Even more reason to give in, sell your Explorer, and buy a Mustang.

Further, it would be great if you participated more on this forum like John did.

Don't be too quick to bury Explorer Express. The business has changed. We used to sell a lot of mats and racks and that kind of stuff. That all changed after 9/11. The demand for accessories virtually dryed up.

The things that still sell well for us are the performance parts that I created, X-SPEC suspension and airdams and the 5.0 X-CHARGER and now the 4.0 SOHC X-CHARGER.
Now everyone calls their Explorer an X, but I made that up too.

My original concept for Explorer Express was Explorer Performance, but in 1996 there were no Explorer performance parts, so we put together a catalog of Explorer accessories. Then started developing our own performance parts.

So the new plan is to go back to the original plan. Just a few fun accessories, but mostly performance parts. So the new EE will be more streamlined and more focused.

The part about selling the bulding is true. Our Z repair business is doing OK, but I've been doing that since 1975 and it will never again be what it once was. Who's to say what someone would really do if you got a chance to retire at 55. I'm not going to retire, Explorer Express lives. Besides, what am I going to do, mow the lawn every day. In any case a 10,000 sq ft building is way too large.

We are using a space closer to home to set up the new Explorer Express, home of X-SPEC performance.

I know you all miss my brother John, but he spent ALL of his time on the forums. He was in charge of the website and I'm the first to admit the it's way stale and poorly organized. I was constantly pressuring John to work on our website and that is the real reason he quit. We're working on an amped up site, but I'm not sure who to have do it as I can't do that kind of work myself and really can't spend the time to learn. I'm a professional mechanic and fabricator and that's what I do best. The role of businessman, boss, promoter, etc is something I did because I had to, but never really liked. But the parts that I have produced are all top quality, fit and work.

On to the parts. The 4.0 SOHC is done now. We have 21 units on the road and the bugs are all gone. We sold 3 X-CHARGER kits last week and one so far this week. We had a lot of problems with ProM MAF tuning and that set us back about 6 months.

The 4.0 SOHC X-CHARGER for 02-04 Explorers has been exempted by CARB for sale in California. But since the early Explorer/SportTrac/Ranger is a little different CARB wants it tested seperately. We are in the process now. Plus Ford is constantly changing the fuel injection on these models so we're shooting at a moving target.
As long as you don't live in California, we can ship you a 4.0 SOHC or 5.0 X-CHARGER tomorrow.

We just received a shipment of 300 sway bars and we've got a lot of the other X-SPEC parts with the exception of airdams. The fabricator that made our airdams went out of business and took our molds with him. So we have been out of airdams for a while, but they will be reproduced.

The last few years have been rough for a lot of businesses, including ours. But now, with reduced overhead and strictly inventory that moves, EE is in the best shape it ever been.

So chill out on the rumors and speculation. And I must add that some of the postings I see on this forum are much ruder then on any of the others, but that's your right. If you don't like my stuff don't buy it, but don't make up stories to make us look bad.

And as far as someone suggesting that you sell your Explorer and buy a Mustang, he just doesn't get it.

I want to thank all the forum members for their past support and assure you all that Explorer Express will be around for years to come.

If you need any information about our products, please contact me personally, toll-free, at 888-EXPLORER, select 2 and ask for Dave V, or via e-mail at zdoctor55@aol.com. Start the subject line with "ATTN: DV".

Dave Vanek
Explorer Express / X-SPEC Performance

So I can order an Eaton M62 Supercharger off your site right now? I wonder how much longer Apten has on there Supercharger isn't it a Procharger thats not like the Eaton.

Yes, you can order one, but you'll have to call us to do it. 888-EXPLORER (888-397-5673). We'll need your computer box code to order the chip. We sold one to another 01 Sport owner last week. I talked to him today and he said it ran better than he expected.

We did some work on the trans shift with the chip as well. I drove a customers ST with an X-CHARGER last week and the shifts were nice and snappy.

Dave Vanek
Explorer Express

On the topic of transmissions, do you think that the tranny is up to handle the extra power? We all know that the SOHC tranny isn't the greatest.

X-CHARGER w/ auto trans

Mr Hartman,

I checked with about half of our 4.0 X-CHARGER owners and no one reports any transmission problems. Not that someone couldn't damage the trans with abusive driving. I think an auxiliary auto trans cooler would be a good idea as cheap insurance against trans failure.

Dave Vanek
Explorer Express

Humm this sounds pretty good. Do all the SOHC V6's have the 5R55E 5 Speed Tranny on them? Oh and do you guys have a dyno of the before and after wheel horsepower on the trucks.

Back