SOHC 4.0 Liter Vortech Supercharger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC 4.0 Liter Vortech Supercharger?

Does anyone know of a place making a kit for this. What I want to know is there a way to get like a basic Vortech kit like my friend got for his Mustang Fox Body that has around 6 pounds of boost. This is what the EE 4.0 SOHC kit was suppose to run 6 psi. Well if I could get the Vortech and make custom brackets, hooked up the belt system and did everthing else could this work. Or could I uptain the bracket from an OHV kit. Just throwing together some idea. Oh and if anyone knows a placew making a kit let me know thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a guy on www.rangerpowersports.com called Orion_134 who put a Paxton supercharger on his 4.0 sohc. He had to do some custom tubing for the blower intake and discharge to get it to work just right, but it seemed to work ok for him. Paxton is a centrifugal supercharger like Vortech, but I'm not sure if the mounting is similar or not. He could probably answer some of your questions.

Explorer Express was working on a SOHC supercharger I believe.

However as you probably know, you can fit a supercharger to just about anything with enough know how, $$$, or both.

410Fortune said:
Explorer Express was working on a SOHC supercharger I believe.

Its rumored that the whole company is going to go down the drain. There's been alot of empty promises from that company. So don't count on anything.

Apten is working on a pro-charger kit for the SOHC.

Man I do not want to hear this sh$t about EE, is it true? maybe, i talked with John for almost a year getting ready for the SC, cannot get any info any more, bummer

They need to change the name from Explorer Express to Explorer Maybe sometime down the road if we can find the part. Glad I got in and got out.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
They need to change the name from Explorer Express to Explorer Maybe sometime down the road if we can find the part. Glad I got in and got out.

Maybe you should call them and suggest that. Also gotta work in about not updating their freaking website! What a company! The few products they produced were awsome, but the rest was just BS.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
They need to change the name from Explorer Express to Explorer Maybe sometime down the road

Or.... in keeping with the EE theam, how about Explorer Excuse? ;)

So True Ron
talked with some Kiddlette in the office tech support dept on friday, he said ya we are shipping SCs, my mind is racing, need to pony up 32 dead Preasys ASAP, okay, you got the CARB cert right?DUH maybe you need to speak to dave, OK, put him on, well I can leave a message with his voicemail, gotta love it

spindlecone said:
So True Ron
talked with some Kiddlette in the office tech support dept on friday, he said ya we are shipping SCs, my mind is racing, need to pony up 32 dead Preasys ASAP, okay, you got the CARB cert right?DUH maybe you need to speak to dave, OK, put him on, well I can leave a message with his voicemail, gotta love it

It must be like speaking to the wall that your phone is plugged into.

I like the Explorer Excuse :D

sadly Todd, EE did some great things, than they just sort of jumped in the Box, died and got buried, is truley our loss:(

spindlecone said:
sadly Todd, EE did some great things, than they just sort of jumped in the Box, died and got buried, is truley our loss:(

You're right. Think about it, they were the only company out there dedicated to Explorers. They had a lot of great products, and ones in the making. I think them getting burnt was a major factor in the downfall of the company. Truly a sad day, but as the little man we can do nothing but hope someone else comes along. :(

If you read the posts on the sport trac web site the guy with the first EE supercharger blew 2 engines.
aparently there are still some major problems with the kit.
i suspect that john V left EE because of the supercharger problems.

Your info is erronious, The nutcase on the sportrac site, Mr Vain, pushed J Vanik to the max, had to have the first SOHC proto SC in time for an trac meet, at whitch time he made many major burnouts for the crowd on an engine with 80 K miles and blew the engine, he had not a chip, he had not a boost gauge, he had not a clue as to what he was doing.
Than mr vain started bad mouthing EE,all over the the net pls understand, he had a prototype unit that he begged to get, to protect his interests, john Vanik had the ST shipped to calif, a new engine was installed, a new system was installed and than all fell off the edge of the earth, john told me that he had spent no less than 20 grand trying to appease Mr Vain.
EE is a very Viable business at this time, do not give up on them

Explorer Express Lives

Explorer Express is still in business and we have no intention of quitting. However our product mix will be a little different. No more mats and racks, just Explorer and Ranger performance parts.

We did a sway bar group buy on this forum last month and only got 5 orders, not even close to the 20 we usually require. When it became obvious that you folks would never reach 20, we gave the deal to the five who did respond.

I'd appreciate less bad mouth and a little more support. If anyone has any question or comment about our products or services please contact me personally at 888-EXPLORER, select 2 and ask for Dave V or at zdoctor55@aol.com, please start the subject line with "ATTN: DV"

Dave Vanek
Explorer Express

I think EE is great but the prices just aren't competitive. You can't expect support without competitive prices. A lot of empty promises too about parts. If you're going to pursue making something, then do it, and follow thru with it. Don't start something and then just never finish it, which seems to be the case on a lot of things. People have been waiting on the SOHC supercharger for literally years.

X-charger

MR Hartman,

Do you mean spend two years working on something and invest $150k and then start selling it even though there are still bugs because it's been taking too long. NO WAY. if this was an easy thing, you could do it yourself.

The 4.0 SOHC X-CHARGER is done now. We have 21 kits on SportTracs, Rangers and Explorers. The bugs are gone. Turns out a lot of the problems were caused by erractic tuning by ProM. We have retuned using the stock MAF and the package works great.

The 02-04 Explorer X-CHARGER has been exempted by the CARB and we are working on certification for the 97-01 Explorers, and SOHC Rangers and STs.

My 03 Ranger has an X-CHARGER on it and turns sub 7 second 0-60s.

We are working on a 3" tailpipe exhaust. The prototype works well with the S/C.

Hartman, thanks for the response. I appreciate your input.

Dave Vanek
Explorer Express

I don't think you got the support you thought you would get on that sway bar group buy because there have already been numerous sway bar group buys. You'd be surprised with the number of people that already have one.

The update you just gave on the X-Charger was great. Maybe I missed it but I dont remember seeing an update like that as of late. Many people are interested in your products, but when we go months or years without any updates we give up on you.

I own my share of your products and am satisfied with them. I also hold quite the interest in your up-comming X-Charger. Please keep us posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys need to get pictures of these installed superchargers, dyno runs etc. and post them on the site. you need to talk it up and give testimonials.
how else do you expect to sell it when we hear nothing, except the problems?

Back