Explorer Express Supercharger for SOHC V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Express Supercharger for SOHC V6?

Explorer Express no longer advertises a supercharger kit for the Explorer SOHC V6 but they still offer it for the Ranger SOHC V6. It uses the Eaton/Magnusan MP62 supercharger with a by-pass valve for better fuel economy when no boost is needed. There's also a used one on eBay listed for $2500. Is anyone familiar with the kit and know if it would fit easily in my 2000 Explorer Sport with the SOHC V6?

Yes, I know that a turbocharger would cost less and produce as much or more boost but there would be a lot more clutter in the engine compartment with a turbocharger than a supercharger.

Yes, I've considered a centrifugal supercharger such as a Rotrex or a Vortech but they take up a lot of space and I can't find room for an intercooler because of my remote oil filters and coolers mounted behind the front bumper.

Yes, I know that a 275 rwhp normally aspirated 5.0 V8 with 4R70W transmission would be more reliable than a 275 rwhp supercharged 4.0 SOHC V6 with a 5R55E transmission. However, I don't plan to race my Sport, I just want a little more acceleration for fun once in a while. In my opinion the engine compartment allows inadequate accessibility to the V6 engine. I assume that the V8 accessibility is worse. A V8 engine and transmission swap is probably the most logical and least expensive approach to achieve my desired rwhp but I want to consider all of the options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its been done a few times on EF - its the same supercharger from the Xterra. The biggest thing you probably need is an adapter plate to go between the intake manifold to the M62.

head to blower manifold

The Explorer Express kit includes a head to blower manifold as shown below.
sc1.jpg

I'm not concerned about the blower kit assembly to the SOHC V6. That should all be included in the kit. My concerns are differences between the Ranger and my Sport as far as hood clearance and engine to firewall clearance.

I believe the lower intake would be the same for both the Ranger and Explorer. The intake elbow and other small parts would be the biggest difference. Supercharger? Cool! Email me, I would like to talk to you about some options.-j

Just considering possible options

Don't get all excited James. At this point I'm only considering possible options for a potential power upgrade in a couple of years. A 5.0L/4R70W is probably the most reasonable approach but I'm looking at other possibilities. By the way, for the V8 swap could I retain my V6 PCM and reprogram it with a V8 custom tune from you or would I have to swap the PCM to a V8 unit and then reprogram it with a custom tune for my Lightning MAF sensor? One of the major obstacles with an engine swap seems to be anti-theft issues. I'd want to avoid the issues but retain the capability.

Yes, you should be able to change enough parameters in your stock PCM for a V8 but I think it would be a LOT easier like Techieman33 suggests.

This just the wifes new Ex needs:D

purchase entire vehicle

Yes, you should be able to change enough parameters in your stock PCM for a V8 but I think it would be a LOT easier like Techieman33 suggests.

If I should go with the V8 upgrade I would purchase a complete 2000 2WD vehicle. That way I would be certain to have everything I need. I'd look for one with exterior, interior and mechanical problems to reduce the purchase cost. Then I would disassemble the vehicle. I'd sell or scrap interior or exterior parts uncommon with my Sport and save everything else. I'd rebuild the engine and transmission with future performance enhancements in mind. I wouldn't disable my Sport until all of the foreseeable upgrade components were ready to go. My Official 2000 Ford Wiring Diagram book will help with the wiring changes. The upgrade would be a huge undertaking for me and I am hesitant to even seriously consider it.

A V6 supercharger kit installation would be a lot less work and money even if I bought it new. The only complicated part would be done by James with the custom tune.

However, I doubt my 5R55E will last much longer before a rebuild is needed. I'd rather rebuild a more robust transmission. Also, a lot of effort is required to pull and install an engine. Unfortunately, with the SOHC V6, pulling the engine is too frequently required.

If I should go with the V8 upgrade I would purchase a complete 2000 2WD vehicle. That way I would be certain to have everything I need. I'd look for one with exterior, interior and mechanical problems to reduce the purchase cost. Then I would disassemble the vehicle. I'd sell or scrap interior or exterior parts uncommon with my Sport and save everything else. I'd rebuild the engine and transmission with future performance enhancements in mind. I wouldn't disable my Sport until all of the foreseeable upgrade components were ready to go. My Official 2000 Ford Wiring Diagram book will help with the wiring changes. The upgrade would be a huge undertaking for me and I am hesitant to even seriously consider it.

A V6 supercharger kit installation would be a lot less work and money even if I bought it new. The only complicated part would be done by James with the custom tune.

However, I doubt my 5R55E will last much longer before a rebuild is needed. I'd rather rebuild a more robust transmission. Also, a lot of effort is required to pull and install an engine. Unfortunately, with the SOHC V6, pulling the engine is too frequently required.

Well, mines still ticking - knock on wood. I'll be turning the boost up soon so I'll see how far I can go before something blows.

Made my decision

I've decided that if I choose to significantly increase my power I will purchase a running 2000, 4 door, 2WD model Explorer with a V8 that was also available with the SOHC V6. I'll remove the powertrain and rebuild/modify as desired. Then I'll remove the powertrain from my Sport and install it in the 4 door in a stock configuration and sell the vehicle. While the 4 door is four sale I'll install the V8 powertrain in my Sport with a custom exhaust.

My reasoning is as follows:

1. The SOHC V6 timing chain system is unreliable and time consuming and expensive to repair.

2. The 5R55E transmission is not very robust and Ford provided no way to manually select 3rd gear.

3. Camshafts, heads, headers, pistons, superchargers, and other performance items are limited and expensive for the SOHC V6.

4. There are numerous new and used performance parts for the 5.0L V8.

5. I want to start with a fully functional V8 powertrain to reduce unknowns when attempting start up in my Sport. I want to reduce start up problems to wiring and anti-theft issues.

6. I should be able to sell the V6 powered 4 door for about as much as my purchase price depending on the condition of its original V8 powertrain compared to my good condition V6 powertrain.

7. My Sport downtime will be limited to the time it takes to remove the V6 powertrain and install the V8 rebuilt/modified powertrain.

8. If I later decide I want a supercharger I can install it on the V8.

why dont you look into the rpcaster kit, fits the eaton m90 onto the 4.0L sohc, and the price is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the explorer express kit.

I have also been tossing around the idea of a supercharger for about 3 years :) but i figured my 4.0 chains would have grenaded by now and a v8 swap would be in order...

I Think if your were to purchase a kit from EE, the HI-PO mustang kit, with the mp90 you would have alot more useable power i think the major difference is drive by wire vs, cable TB

I have the EE Supercharger already installed in my truck. It is for the 97 Explorer. I bought it off a guy on ebay who totaled out his Ex before he could install it so it had never been installed. However, looking at the pics from the link gave you from the ebay seller, it looks very close to the one I have installed on my Explorer, but I am not sure. I guess you could call EE and find out. That's not a bad deal for the kit.

Back