• Register Today It's free!

Solid Axle How To

dizzy6984

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Ive got a 94 XL with a 4" lift, i just traded it for my 81 Chevy Short Bed (6" lift)

I want to get leaf springs up front and by what ive seen u gotta do a solid axle swap first so how do i do that?

Any step by step articles on a solid axle swap?
Or even better a parts list of the parts i will need?

Thanks Alot>>>>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. If you search through this forum that you just posted in, you'll see a bunch of them. For leafs look for member names - j602, chief34, RockRanger, 034x4, full foot notch and I know there are a couple more but can't remember their board names right now.

as far as a step by step guide and list of parts... there is no such thing. A sas is totally custom, you make your own instructions based on what you want. And parts list differs as well based on what you want (gears,lockers,cromo's,steering,brakes,tires,ect) If you are looking for more step by step guides than what we have here, if you search the FSB forums under the SAS page you will find a large section of writeups just on leafspring SAS's. Its not the same as an explorer but at least you get an idea.

hey my name is kenny and i am new to this site. I am doing a solid axle swap on my 98 4 door. I know that a dana 30 out of a wrangler is the right length and the right gear ratio for this application. it also helps that it is the same bolt pattern so you can use the same wheels off the stock explorer. but you will have to take the ABS out of your explorer. the only thing i have to figure out is the steering. but any imput or opinion will help. thanks.

Welcome to the site, but hold on one second. Just because its from a wrangler dosent mean its the right gear ratio, there are many ratios availiable from the factory for those 2 vehicles, check the axle codes and make sure they match. Other than that it seems like you have a handel on things, as for steering why not use the wrangler steering? Also, give us some pics and details of what you are planning (coils/leafs/gears/lockers/ect) and finally, if you havent already, start your own thread. If you need any other help, search first, ask later.

hey thanks for they advise. yes the gear ratio does match in that axle to my 8.8. I am planning to do just a leaf w/ an over axlewitch should give me enough room to handle the 33x13.50 tsl boggers i have sitting at the shop stareing me in the face every time i walk in for work. i still donno bout steering, Im gonna have to use a regular steering box right? get read of my rack and pinion totally? Also i am still debating on going w/ a dana44 and a over axle lift to hold 35's but i think that will be 2 must tire for my stock drivetrain. well im just throwin round ideas.

a dana 44 should do fine with 35's and proper gearing. The 8.8 will do fine as well. Yes, the rack and pinion steering will need to be done away with.

but im still worried bout stock trans, transfer, and clutch. should I be?

if its an auto, the tranny will go no matter what so dont worry, just count the days. Other than that, you should be fine, plenty of members here are running 35's or larger with the stock drivetrain.

ok kool. i have changed my mind after talking w/ my boss (the owner of local 4 weel drive shop) to go w/ a coil spring in the front mainly cause I can get a whole coil front end out of a cherokee and comanche for $75 from a local junk yard. witch leadsme to my next question, what is the gear ratio in my 8.8 and will one of these (mid to later 80's) jeeps match up gear wise? other than that i think ill b all set on info. as soon as i figure out my girlfriends F*@KING camera i will put pics online (not like it willhelp much its pretty much stock right now)

wow i really cant type right, and one more thing i was reading the axle guide on this site an it just kinda confused me, it says 85-92 cherokee has a dana 30 front but is it right for my 8.8 match??

you need the axle codes off the respective vehicles. Potentially they could match, but with so many ratios out there you must check. The factory put different gear ratios in the same models of trucks. Explorers came with 4.10's (rare), 3.73's (most common), 3.55's and I think 3.05 or something. Not sure about the xj but its probably about the same. The explorer code is inside the drivers door, it is a large 2 latter/number combo. I dont know them all but d4 stands for 3.73's

TTIWWAD30.gif

ok so here it is. i found a jeep comanche w/ a gear ratio that will match mine so i am taking the front end tonight or tomm. morning. I'm not shure but it looks like it has a suspention lift so im taking the rear leafs too. I will have pics because my g/f is coming to run the camera (mainly so my grease monkey friends and I won't kill it). my only concern is that it looks like if I drop the front drive shaft its gonna hit the cross member but if it does I will just cut a section out and fab one that goes over it. ill figure it out.

Mudd***** said:

im hoping he'll change it out down the road, but before he goes out on the trail.....its a piss of when a rig breaks with monstor tires and a tooth pick axle

no im only going to run 33 truxis or a 33 13.50 tsl super swamper. i STILL havent got the axle out because i ran out of oxygen w/ my torches. mabie tommarow....

Back