Some questions about my 92 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some questions about my 92 explorer

nickrahn

Reaction score
City, State
Loganville, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Hey guys,
I got me another shift motor and was wondering how do I replace my old one with it. I can figure it out but I would like a walk through so I make sure I don't miss anything.
lately I have my 4wd locked in at all times cause wisconsin weather is unpredictable. I have been noticing that when I turn the wheel the frnt left clunks and when I turn it sharper it seems to bind. I turned the wheel and tried to see what ws going on but I couldn't see anything broken. is this common? or is this something to worry about?
I have been having a problem with the truck running cold lately and today I changed the thermostat and it helped a little but still runs cold. I think I have a slight coolant leak somewhere, I have to add about 1-2 gal every couple weeks. If the coolant level is the slightest bit low will it affect the operation temp? I know some vehicles are more picky about fluid levels than others.
I was also wondering if there are any write-ups on repairing the parking brake and what kind of parts I will need. I can't seem to push the pedal at all, its stuck. didn't know if something is broke or what but I can't use it and with a stick shift it's kinda annoying not having a parking brake.
Lastly, is there a way to adjust the clutch switch. When I got the truck a couple months ago I didn't have to push the clutch in very far to start the truck now I gotta push it to floor pretty hard for the switch to engage so I can start the truck.

Thanks for the help. God Bless

Sounds like you got a few things to address there Nick. Try doing a search on the banner at the top on the forum banner, (between "New Posts" and "Quick Links".) You might have to narrow it down as you go.
The coolant leak is a heap of a lot of losing coolant. Are there any puddles under your vehicle? And is there any water in your oil? This could be the sign of a serious problem. I looked in my maintenace manuel for a '92 (I have one also) and it does not show an adjustment for a clutch/starter interlock switch, it only shows how to replace it. But that don't mean there is not a way to do that. By searching the forum there is a great chance you will find the answers you are looking for. You are in the right spot for information. These guys are great!

no puddle when I park it just when I driving it. the underside from front back is wet with antifreeze. I did an oil change yesterday and I didn't see any coolant in the oil.today we had an awesome 5+ inches of snow which was no problem for the explorer, and when I was in town I noticed the front didn't clunk or bind on the snow covered parking lots and roads. only on dry pavement it does.

Driving on dry roads with 4x4 engaged will cause the front end to bind.

Back