• Register Today It's free!

spare tire question

ozone

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ranger xlt 4.0 4x4
I recently added 31x10.50x15 to my ranger. Should I replace the original spare with a used 31x10.50x15, or will my p235/70r15 (like new) spare work? Probably a stupid question, but my wife is already ticked off about the $600.00 Toyo's :) and most vehicle donuts are smaller. The new tires have a replacement warranty, so the spare would be just for getting me to the tire store.:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you switch the spare...

Since the spare is like new, can you trade with a tire shop for an old tire that matches the dimension you have on both axles? If it's just for a spare...

(Buy mrs. ozone a massage/pedicure/manicure package - and while she's there, go get the tire... :D

most of the tire shops around here deal in stock tires, auto, truck. 31x10.50x15 is uncommon I guess its the 15 rim. Either that or they are not allowed to sell a used tire for liability issues. I am going to try another yard tomorrow.

Oh, got it...

Buy mrs. o the package and buy a new tire... go for it! You've already bought four.... go for it!

If that's not an option, the dealership here said that as long as you're within 20 miles or less, you should have no problems with the spare. I had the issue a bit back...

I swapped my spare with a 31. Got a used BFG AT on Ebay for $50.
All you need is a used tire. It's spare duty & will only get seldom used.

We did that, but at a local shop

We got a used spare for $50... The liability issue is possibly why he can't get one. And some people will drive for months on a donut or the used one, and that's where the problems start...

I'd just buy a tire and tell the mrs. to let me live! :D

How far undersized is the spare? Compare it to the other tires, if its close(an inch or so) run it. If you have lockers get the same size tire...............

spare is 27" tires im running are 31"

Get the new one bro...

Your wife knows you... You need a full size spare to be safe. Just talk about it. If you have the cash to go get, take her with you and get it...

I can't spell anymore, it's late... take it easy!

I've got 31's on my truck but my spare is a 30. Close enough.

I'm running 33's with a 235/75-15 spare. As long as you don't use it in 4wd, it will be fine as a spare. If your rear axle is a limited slip or has a locker, make sure you only use it on the front (swap tires around as necessary) and replace the damaged tire as soon as possible.

Just buy a used one, I got mine (31x10.5 Dunlop radial rover) for $30. Already had a 15x8 steel wheel and got my friend to mount it. Pays to know people in the industry.

He can't in is State...

Just buy a used one, I got mine (31x10.5 Dunlop radial rover) for $30. Already had a 15x8 steel wheel and got my friend to mount it. Pays to know people in the industry.

He says they don't re-sell like that in Ohio... In CA, you could get one for a six pack (I don't drink, but there are used tires everywhere in this place) You could literally grab a new one from a street display and just run... (which I don't recommend). There has to be a yard sale or something, I can't believe in all of OH there isn't a used tire...

Actually, Ohio has no law about re-selling tires that would prohibit this particular purchase. Maybe it is the rim issue??

I run a full sized spare at all times, I don't want to swap tires around if I get a flat on the back. Plus, if you ever offroad a little bitty spare is a pain on the trail.

The local tire shop where I do all my business has gladly exhanged my current spare for the size I upgraded to no charge when I bought my tires.

ohio has no law, just certain tire shops wont sell their used tires, because they dont want to be liable. Im in the city, so I would have to go out in the country to find a yard.

You know, if the wife isn't too happy about it... you should do what she says. What does she recommend? I'd go with what she says... Suerte!

spare mount

Does anyone know how big of a tire you can get in the stck spare mount underneath?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back