Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09)

Nvm it's only explorers not STs. Plus it's only to like 2002-3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install the new switch!

Nvm it's only explorers not STs. Plus it's only to like 2002-3

NOT TRUE! This recall is for 1992-2004 across Multiple Vehicle Lines. (But, you are correct that your 2005 ST is NOT one of the affected vehicles...)

Check this link out - This is the latest info from Ford, dated April 10, 2008.
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT: Safety Recall 05S28 - Supplement #15 : 1992-2004 Multiple Vehicle Lines - Speed Control System Modification...

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/compliance%20recalls/05s28/R05S28%20dealer%20bulletin.pdf

In a nutshell, the dealer will install the Fused Jumper Harness (FJH) on all affected vehicles. If, and only if, your Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) is wet and leaking, they will replace it as well, with part #1L1Z-9F924-AA

MY ADVICE is to replace the SCDS on your vehicle even if it is not leaking! Let Ford put in the FJH, and do the switch yourself. Part is $16.61 (+S&H) from Tasca Parts http://tascaparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=1L1Z-9F924-AA+&make=Ford&action=oePartSearch&siteid=213668 or AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake (previously Tousley Ford) https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/parts/2001/FORD/Explorer/XLS/index.cfm?siteid=214771

I have not checked the price at Stealership yet...

I just recently bought a 2002 ST was this vehicle involved in the recall? Should I check and see if the switch is black instead of orange?

Hi,
I'm ne to this Forum. Hope I'm doing this right.
I have a 2004 XLT 4wheel and just lost the cruise control. I read ur thread
and I have no leakage at the brake cylinder disconnect switch. It is black in
color. I suspected the fused jumper harness. Is there a quick check for this and
can I order/install myself??
Tnx
Jack Snee

I just got recall notices today for my '01 Sport Trac and '97 Mountaineer.

Cruise control quit on my 98 Mountaineer. I asked at the local Ford dealer if there were any recalls. Nope.

While doing something else under the hood I noticed that switch was wet with brake fluid so I just bought one, which came with the adapter extension for the connector. New switch and the cruise works.

Ba$tard$ at Ford, I coulda had a new switch for free. Haven't received a recall notice either.

Wayyyy back in the 80's we had a 1973 Ford van that had been through many owners and my dad converted it to a class C motorhome yet Ford still tracked it down and mailed a warning label not to leave it running and unattended because the column shift could slip out of Park. Why fix the actual problem when a band-aid is very cheap...

Loss of cruise control

Hi swshawaii,
Thanks for the info/video etc. I will test my switch in the A.M.
I would be lost without the cruise control. I'm just under 110K miles
and the only other problem I've had was with the rear end. This is my
third and now it had developed a loud noise the same as the others.
Ford paid for them but now I'm on my own.

Thanks again,

Jack Snee

Better late than never...

Just received a recall notice in the mail today for my 98 Explorer, dated July 2014:

"...Ford cannot be confident that after many years in service, the speed deactivation switch installed in your vehicle will not leak, posing risk of an underhood fire. Until this repair is performed, a fire could occur at any time. A fire can occur even if the key is not in the ignition, and can occur even if the speed control system is never used. Until your vehicle is repaired, please park your vehicle away from structures to prevent a potential underhood fire from spreading."

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

This is serious, fellas... Git 'er done!

ford_f150_on_fire180x200.jpg

I just recently bought a 2002 ST was this vehicle involved in the recall? Should I check and see if the switch is black instead of orange?

Yes and yes. Your 2002 ST is on the list (see my post above for the link to the notice).

If the fusable-harness-Band-Aid has been performed, you will see a big sticker on the harness, as seen in the photo in post #1 . If the switch is orange, it is original and a potential problem.

Does this also involve Canadian vehicles?

My 2002 was built 07/2002. I never got a notice, but I've owned it less than a year at this point. When I got my cooling system flushed they performed this recall on mine under my nose. I was shown that they only had to replace a harness.

unplugging switch?

Hello, im new to this forum and would like to say that it is very helpful. I have a 2001 sport trac and the recall has not been performed. I have the orange rectangular switch. I also do not have access to a ford dealership. My question is: does unplugging the switch solve my problem? My cruise control doesnt work anyways and i have no need for it. Thanks

Hello, im new to this forum and would like to say that it is very helpful. I have a 2001 sport trac and the recall has not been performed. I have the orange rectangular switch. I also do not have access to a ford dealership. My question is: does unplugging the switch solve my problem? My cruise control doesnt work anyways and i have no need for it. Thanks

Unplugging the switch will eliminate the risk of catching fire. BTW your CC probably doesn't work because your deactivation switch is bad. I'd had the recall done. Later the CC had stopped working and then I noticed the switch was leaking brake fluid. Ford the replaced the switch and the CC worked again.

Perfect. Thank you. Thats all i needed to know. I have no need for cruise control because i live in a mountain area. Just needed to make sure im safe. Thanks again

If the switch is leaking fluid you need to replace it. I replaced a leaking one before knowing about the recall. Never have received a notice from Ford about it.

Years ago my folks had a mini motorhome built on a 1973 Ford van. They got a notice and a label to put on the dash that the shifter could slip out of Park so make sure it's in Park. No actual mechanical fix, just a warning label.

There was some engine in GM front drive cars where the valve cover gasket could leak oil onto the exhaust manifold and catch fire. Was the fix replacing the gasket with a better one? Noooo. GM designed a 'gutter' to attach to the enginr to direct the leaking oil away from the exhaust manifold.

Call your Ford dealer and have them check if there are any outstanding recalls.

Please make sure you get your Explorer checked or updated with this recall. If you have the old Cruise Control Deactivation Switch, it's possible that brake fluid can leak and then catch on fire.

According to the link below this affects 2nd Generation Explorers from 1995 until 2002. So it's hard to say at what point the 1st Generation Sport Tracs got the newer safer switch and don't need this recall. But definitely my 2001 Sport Trac needed this recall.

http://www.ford.com/dynamic/metatag...peed-control-deactivation-switch-recall-09s09

This is a picture of the harness installed by a dealership on my 2000 Explorer Limited for this recall.

CIMG0343.jpg

I know some members have replaced the actual switch. Notice how my switch is an Orange color. I believe the newer safer switches are black.

Unplugging the switch will eliminate the risk of catching fire. BTW your CC probably doesn't work because your deactivation switch is bad. I'd had the recall done. Later the CC had stopped working and then I noticed the switch was leaking brake fluid. Ford the replaced the switch and the CC worked again.
Have to resurrect this old thread - over the year I've had my Ex, have been trying to find out if I have the bad harness or switch on the master cylinder that was recalled. Ford site no help, as it's a very OLD recall. But then my Ex is old too! I've no problem with replacing it myself, just would like to actually try cruise control without causing a fire! Not sure if the good switch would be orange or black, or either. Any help and advice welcomed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have to resurrect this old thread - over the year I've had my Ex, have been trying to find out if I have the bad harness or switch on the master cylinder that was recalled. Ford site no help, as it's a very OLD recall. But then my Ex is old too! I've no problem with replacing it myself, just would like to actually try cruise control without causing a fire! Not sure if the good switch would be orange or black, or either. Any help and advice welcomed!
I just looked at mine and the switch is Orange in color and has the harness all ford replaced for the recall years ago!

Back