Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09)

Have to resurrect this old thread - over the year I've had my Ex, have been trying to find out if I have the bad harness or switch on the master cylinder that was recalled. Ford site no help, as it's a very OLD recall. But then my Ex is old too! I've no problem with replacing it myself, just would like to actually try cruise control without causing a fire! Not sure if the good switch would be orange or black, or either. Any help and advice welcomed!
All the recall involved was putting a small jumper harness between the switch on the master cylinder and the plug that goes into the switch. The issue was that they would leak fluid into the wiring harness, and it would creep through the harness, get hot and catch fire. The power wire going to the switch is hot at all times even with the ignition off I would just use a test light to find which wire is hot and put a fuse inline. I can run your vin# through Ford if you send it to me through a PM but it might be to old to show up but it's worth a try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the recall involved was putting a small jumper harness between the switch on the master cylinder and the plug that goes into the switch. The issue was that they would leak fluid into the wiring harness, and it would creep through the harness, get hot and catch fire. The power wire going to the switch is hot at all times even with the ignition off I would just use a test light to find which wire is hot and put a fuse inline. I can run your vin# through Ford if you send it to me through a PM but it might be to old to show up but it's worth a try.
Hey, my local dealer said it would be about 2 days that I have to leave it there for this recall can I just order this and be fine? Amazon product ASIN B000IYLZDO

Hey, my local dealer said it would be about 2 days that I have to leave it there for this recall can I just order this and be fine? Amazon product ASIN B000IYLZDO
Try another dealer. When I first got my recall notice, I called my dealer they told me two months, they did not have the part. I called another dealer that same day, 15 minutes they were done.

I just took the leap and ordered the same part # from OEMpartsource.com.
Yeah id rather do it myself anyway to be honest

Yeah id rather do it myself anyway to be honest
You know it would be done right! Thanks for bringing up this subject, was going to do something about it months ago then it slipped my mind. Even after seeing the Kia a family member owned, that caught fire right after being parked, didn't remind me of the possible hazard.

You know it would be done right! Thanks for bringing up this subject, was going to do something about it months ago then it slipped my mind. Even after seeing the Kia a family member owned, that caught fire right after being parked, didn't remind me of the possible hazard.
Yep my dealer is the one who caused my seat recline handle to break and then declined to fix it

A neighbor had F150 parked outside of his garage, it caught fire his sliding melted.

Same reason as the recall? Yikes.
Yeah, it was the recall for the seat recline bolt and they messed with it and broke the handle and said the part is discontinued and they couldn't fix it

If anyone needs the fused harness and doesn't want to go to the stealership the part number is 8w7z14a411bb there is some on eBay for as cheap as $5 with free shipping I recommend replacing the switch too even if it isn't leaking the part number for the switch is SW6350 it can be found on amazon for $30 I would only get motorcraft as its the most reliable part and I haven't heard anything good about the aftermarket brands

I did not hear about the seat recline bolt, I got my replacement from the JY
Yeah, it was the recall for the seat recline bolt and they messed with it and broke the handle and said the part is discontinued and they couldn't fix it

Back