• Register Today It's free!

Staggered 20's

nygbrad

Reaction score
City, State
Longwood, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know if the 20x10.5 rear wheels will fit on the Explorer? I found a good deal on a new set of bullitt wheels. Fronts are 20x9" with a 24mm offset and the rears are 20x10.5 with a 27mm offset. I am thinking 275/45-20 on all four corners.

Any advise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody has any input? I have to decide by tomorrow if I want these wheels.

If they are used wheels just tell him you need to put the truck on jack stands and put the wheels on to make sure they will fit right.

Not many people have this set up so there will not be many people to comment upon.

I understand. I typically would test fit them first but they are about 2 hours away and i was going to have my brother pick them up for me before he came to see me in a couple days.

They should fit. 275 tires on a 10.5" wheel is inadvisable, though. You can use this site to help figure it all out: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
I know the stock specs on my 2002 wheels are 17"x7.5" and +44 backspacing, with 245/65R17 tires. The front suspension is already very close, ~½" to the factory wheels/tires. The rear has some additional room to work with.

Thanks for the website. That helps out a lot!!

Well the chart says they should fit. And the 275/45-20 will work with the rim. The rim and tire are about the same width so it should help with fender tire clearance. Suspension is 100% free from obstruction and the wheel will stick out about 1.3" farther than stock.

I can get these wheels for $400. They are raw so I would need to get them powder coated which is about $35 a wheel.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2338303425.html
Think they're worth it?

Well the chart says they should fit. And the 275/45-20 will work with the rim. The rim and tire are about the same width so it should help with fender tire clearance. Suspension is 100% free from obstruction and the wheel will stick out about 1.3" farther than stock.

I can get these wheels for $400. They are raw so I would need to get them powder coated which is about $35 a wheel.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2338303425.html
Think they're worth it?

I did not say the tires would not work...I said it is inadvisable, which it is. You really would want a bit more tire on a 10.5" wide wheel, but you can certainly get away with it.

If you can get wheels powdercoated for $35 a piece, that alone is a pretty good deal. $550 for a set of 20" wheels that can be custom to the color of your choosing sounds like a decent deal to me, as long as 20" Bullitt wheels are what you are going for. :cool:

I forgot, do you have 4x4?

If you use the same size tire at all four corners, the tire height for the tires on the 10.5" rim will be a little shorter than the tires on the 9" rim. If you are 4x4, that wouldn't be a good thing. I could be wrong though and the change could be minimal???

The rims would look sweet after you finish them if you do decide to get them:D

No I have a 2wd so I'm not to worried about the size difference. I am also now looking at another set of the same wheels but only 10" in the back in Silver (so I don't have to get them finished). The guy wants $600 but I'm trying to get him down a little more.

Well further research on the chart Josh sent me said the rear wheels with 275/45 will stick out 1.3" more then the stock 245/65-17. So I went out and did some measurements. It is a no go. If I wasn't planning on lower it in the future they might work.

Oh well....on to my search for some other wheels!!

Back