Stock Hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Hitch

I was wondering if the stock built-in hitch will be able to tow a 20ft Fiberglass boat.

I basically need to know what the class of the hitch it.

Thanks!
-Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean the bumper hitch?

The stock bumper should be a Class II, and usually has a stamped max capacity of 3500 lbs. Not every Explorer with a rated bumper can tow that much though, the actual towing capacity depends on the gears, transmission, and 4x4.

Yea the bumper hitch....

and I Have;
A4LD(Re-built + 1600 Stall)
4x4
3.55 gears + Torque Trax

I KNOW the truck has enough power to pull it, but im not sure if the ball + "tongue" will be able to handle a boat...

...basically I "should" be able to move this boat safely a short distance (less than 3 miles @ 25mph) if need be?

There should be a maximum capacity stamped into the steel on top of the bumper where the hitch attaches. I believe that it says 350lbs tongue weight, and 3500lbs total trailer weight.(At least that's what mine says) As long as you stay within those limits, you should be ok!

Yea the bumper hitch....

and I Have;
A4LD(Re-built + 1600 Stall)
4x4
3.55 gears + Torque Trax

I KNOW the truck has enough power to pull it, but im not sure if the ball + "tongue" will be able to handle a boat...

...basically I "should" be able to move this boat safely a short distance (less than 3 miles @ 25mph) if need be?

The bumper is your current weakest link.. As mentioned by the others it is only rated @ 3500lbs. How much does the boat weigh? If you tow too much weight you'll twist the bumper into a pretzel; we all seen the bumpers pointed straight up or straight down.

That being said its not so much the distance, but rather any abrupt changes in movement.. Sudden stops or starts really increase the force applied to the mount. So if the boat is in the 3500lb ball park you drive slow and steady (don't use over drive) then you should be ok.

Thanks guys,

The boat was given to me and is a 1976 20ft Grady White. Being as its old and a Grady im guessing its around 4000 pounds, but im not too sure.

And if i recall, when i looked at the hitch on my truck the steel plate it sat on was connected directly to the frame, but i'll go check it again.

This is what she looks like...
dscn2672vi8.jpg

Thanks again
-Dan

Nope I was wrong, it appears to be riveted to the bumper, as y'all said, and is thus connected to the frame.

Thanks

FYI, you should be able to get a good hitch for reasonable money at a UHaul store, probably $125 or so (installed). Takes the bumper out of the equation.

Mike

I will be doing that soon, tomorrow night i will be moving it to my place and hopefully either my truck can handle it or im gonna be using a F250, but i'll get done,

Back