Suggestion for tires?

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
-I'm starting to wonder how great these goodyears are on my X. First they weren't balanced (tire stores fault, got em rebalanced), the valves on the rear two tires seem to be leaking, the sidewalls are looking questionable, and they seem to be out-of-round.

-So first things first, what tire (brand) would you suggest?
-I am going to go with mud and snow tires. So suggestions based off that, please.

-What is the biggest size of tire I can go with on my 05. It is sitting at stock ride height. The current code, is P235/70R16.
-I'd like to go up in tire size, see if I can get a little more ride hieght out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running some bfg 245's I think they are 70's I'm not to sure I think they say T/A but they are like an all season I want to say they came on the truck when I bought them. They tore though the snow last season I have no complaints other than the alignment. I plan on going for some bigger boys when I wear these out as well.

Personally I like the Michelin Cross Terrains. My explorer had them when I bought it and when they were worn down they still gripped the road like no other. I replaced them with another set and it went through 2ft of snow like it was nothing.

do you have any intention of lifting in the near future ?

if you are not planning on lifting anytime soon, and are looking for a slightly larger size, that still IMO looks really good. try 255/70/16's, they are a little taller, and a littler wider...

my X came with brand new michilen cross terrains, so im not in need of tires soon, but i think im going to order some GENERAL GRABBER AT2's in 255/70/16's

235/70/16's = 29'' tire... 245/70/16's = 29.5''... 255/70/16's = 30.1''... 265/70/16's = 30.6''

Hey guys I'm sort of in the same boat as Icecube. When the time is right I'm looking to buy new tires. I have a 96 4DR XLT and as of right now I believe the truck is at stock height. Currently I think I'm running on Cooper Futura 31x10.5x15. I was just wondering what I should be looking for. I'm not a SERIOUS off-roader at all but would like a set of tires that can handle the sand on Long Island beaches. What are some recommendations? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I run 265/75/16 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains and I absolutely love them... just rotate and balance regularly (10,000km's) and they will last a long time and perform very well!

I can't afford BFG's so I am going to go with some Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 265/75-16. I have read on several different threads that 265/75 is as big as you can go at stock height.

GENERAL GRABBER AT2's are pretty much BFG All Terrain KO rip-offs. 265/75R16 (~32" diameter) are just about biggest you can go on stock 16" rims.

BE FOREWARNED!! You may have a lil bit of rubbing. My A/T KO's rub just before steering lock. Trimming wasn't neccessary, but I did need to zip-tie my fender wells outta the way as much as possible.

You can have near the same sidewall height and lessen your chance of rubbing by purchasing a narrower tire: a 235/85R16 for example are still ~32's but they are stock width...

A general off-roader rule is BFG All-Terrain if you've got the cash, GENERAL GRABBER AT2's if you don't...

The AT2's were on my list of about 3 different tires. I consulted my dad on what I should pick and for some reason he has a severe aversion to General Tires, and I don't know why. He has an affinity for Kumhos, however. I don't frankly care what tires i get as long as they are all-terrains, do ok on wet pavement, I can afford them, and they last. The Kumhos I looked at won't last 40k miles. That is why I wanted either the Continental ContiTrac A/Ts or the AT2s or the Geolandar's. Does anyone have any idea why he would not like the General's? I really don't care how it rides, either.

try some Hankook dyna pro`s I have the stock size on my truck have had them on there since last november and work great in the snow and wear really good, I had them on my f150 2003 supercrew and loved them I`m going to be lifting my X so I`m going to the 265`s

The Generals that come on Stock Canyon's and Colorado are CRAP CRAP CRAPPITY CRAP.

But!!! These are OEM supplied tires. Not that manufactures are cutting corners, but they are moving ALOT of vehicles. Let's say you can save $5 per tire, on 4 tires, on 10,000 vehicles. That $200,000. You're dad may have had a similar expierence with an OEM tire on a car???

Don't skimp on tires, it's the only part of your vehicle that actually touches the road (I hope). You'll spent $800 to $1000 on nice tires that'll last 40-60k miles? Over that mileage span, you'll spent...

In 40,000 miles:
Oil Changes ($30 at 3k miles) = $400
Gas (18mpg @ $3 /gal) = $6667

Why not drop the dough on tires?

Don't skimp on shoes... Bad shoes make my back hurt.

I agree, that general's are a knock off, and are a secondary cheaper option...

im way off from buying tires anytime soon. I know that if i dont lift my X, im going to get some 255/70/16's, but if i do ill get something larger to match the lift...

The Generals that come on Stock Canyon's and Colorado are CRAP CRAP CRAPPITY CRAP.

But!!! These are OEM supplied tires. Not that manufactures are cutting corners, but they are moving ALOT of vehicles. Let's say you can save $5 per tire, on 4 tires, on 10,000 vehicles. That $200,000. You're dad may have had a similar expierence with an OEM tire on a car???

Don't skimp on tires, it's the only part of your vehicle that actually touches the road (I hope). You'll spent $800 to $1000 on nice tires that'll last 40-60k miles? Over that mileage span, you'll spent...

In 40,000 miles:
Oil Changes ($30 at 3k miles) = $400
Gas (18mpg @ $3 /gal) = $6667

Why not drop the dough on tires?

Don't skimp on shoes... Bad shoes make my back hurt.
Damn i wish i got that much, 14 is more like it. and that was before the 265's, it really never changed after that

Yeah, I would definitely like to afford some better rubber, but with school coming up and still very close to 0 income, it's starting to look like the Geolandars are my only option. I have tried to stay off of them as much as I can all summer, since the wear belt has been showing since I got the thing, and I only have to drive about 1000 yards round trip each day. Hopefully I will be getting a better paying part time job during school, but other than that, the only upgrade I will be doing on the tires is possibly upgrading the load rating.

do you have any intention of lifting in the near future ?
I am planning on lifting the truck, but not for a while. I plan to have some other things done to it before then.
I was thinking of doing a 245/75/R16. That good or what is good? Like I've said before, I want tires that are a bit taller, and maybe wider. I want my X to sit higher, without doing a lift.

Then the 265/75s are your best option. Any other size won't be a noticeable lift at all i don't think.

Not looking for too big of a lift, just enough to make it sit slightly higher. I am considering removing those running boards to give it the appearance of looking like it sits higher up. And those running boards do make it a pain to work on the car.

When I decided to get rid of the lousy Wranglers that came on my Ranger (at 30k) I did a lot of research and decided on the Firestone Destination ATs. They are rated #2 on TireRack, and lived up to it. No more fishtailing in rain, and really good grip in snow and ice, even with an overpowered and low weight rear pickup.

I happened to get them when a sale was on, buy 4 get the 4th free. A little rougher ride and maybe 1mpg less mileage but worth it and they look good.

Firestone_destination_at_tire_l.jpg

I will say that is ONE DAMN BIG picture. :D But I've seen those firestone destinations, and not sure on those. Ever since the Explorer-Firestone incident I've been a little leery of looking at firestones.
The rims on that tire look pretty sweet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just thought of this....If I go to a bigger tire on the stock rims, will that effect my spedometer?

Back